Best way to freeze spot prawns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Best way to freeze spot prawns Reply with quote

Parts of the shells and tails of the uncooked spot prawns we are pulling from the freezer are black. We've always frozen them individually on a cookie tray and put them in Ziplocks bags.

Anyone got an idea of what's going on or what do to to keep them better?
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these tails or the whole shrimp?

We separate the tails from the body after catching, put in bags and on ice.
Once home, we put 20 tails in a one quart freezer ziplock bag and fill approx 1/3 full of water. Squeeze all the air out and zip shut. Put them flat on cookie sheet until frozen and stack in bin in freezer.

We have excellent shrimp when we take out of freezer and thaw and take shell off and cook. The tails surrounded by water keeps the air away from the tails and does a great job of preservation.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
SVal

City/Region: Elma
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, freezing them in a ziplock freezer bag with water. When the shrimp are fresh the quicker you separate the heads from tails and put them on some ice the fresher they will stay. As soon as they die they let out a little toxin into their bodies and that turns them black. You can ice them, no water, when you first catch them and they will live longer. Just watch them and when you see them dying stop, quickly separate heads from tails and put the tails on ice. They should keep real nice in freezer in water 3 to 6 mos maximum depending on how much air you remove. I also get some each year from a commercial fisherman friend of mine. He does almost the same but gives them to me in one of those clear plastic square jars that Costco Mixed Nuts come in. After he fills the jar with tails he fills it with water and freezes. I've had them in the freezer over 6 months and they were awesome.
Enjoy,

SVal

City/Region: Elma
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, freezing them in a ziplock freezer bag with water. When the shrimp are fresh the quicker you separate the heads from tails and put them on some ice the fresher they will stay. As soon as they die they let out a little toxin into their bodies and that turns them black. You can ice them, no water, when you first catch them and they will live longer. Just watch them and when you see them dying stop, quickly separate heads from tails and put the tails on ice. They should keep real nice in freezer in water 3 to 6 mos maximum depending on how much air you remove. I also get some each year from a commercial fisherman friend of mine. He does almost the same but gives them to me in one of those clear plastic square jars that Costco Mixed Nuts come in. After he fills the jar with tails he fills it with water and freezes. I've had them in the freezer over 6 months and they were awesome.
Enjoy,
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freeze the tails with water in ziplocks just as everyone else mentions; however, I use salt water. I find fresh water washes out the taste a bit.

I've had them frozen in water this way for over a year, and they were fine (not like fresh mind you, but fine).
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use freezer containers large enough to hold 20 to 25 tails. fill with water and freeze them
once frozen I take them out of the containers and use the vacuum sealer to to bag them.
then write date on them and stack in the freezer. works well and we have kept them for over a year with no problems.

once frozen and thawed the shrimp shell a lot easier.I use a kitchen scissors to cut the tails down the back of it and then pull the shells off either side. also helps to devein them if need be.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pull off the heads and freeze them on sheet trays lined with wax paper. Then, I put them in food saver bags lined with pieces of cardboard (usually from a carton that contained canned soda). Then I vacuum pack. They stay great this way. Without the cardboard, the sharp edges poke through the bag.
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pull the heads off while still out in the boat. Put about 2 dozen per ziplock on ice that we've sprinkled rock salt on. Usually by the time we are back in harbor, the shrimp are nearly completely frozen.

Same goes for fish filets. The sooner they're frozen, the better they taste.

Then at home they get vacuum-bagged.

Pat
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENSEI wrote:
we use freezer containers large enough to hold 20 to 25 tails. fill with water and freeze them
once frozen I take them out of the containers and use the vacuum sealer to to bag them.
then write date on them and stack in the freezer. works well and we have kept them for over a year with no problems.

once frozen and thawed the shrimp shell a lot easier.I use a kitchen scissors to cut the tails down the back of it and then pull the shells off either side. also helps to devein them if need be.

Ditto. Great minds think alike.
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: