The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Deck chairs for TomCat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Deck chairs for TomCat Reply with quote

Any suggestions for cockpit chairs for a TomCat?

I've got a couple umbrella type folding chairs I can use but I figured some of you are a bit more stylish than I am and have also found the sweet spot between comfort and stowability.

My new boat has a great enclosure so I plan to spend a lot of time loafing in the cockpit even during a North Carolina winter.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The the large and float cockpit floor, it becomes a matter of choice. Both of us don't like the umbrella chair, so Have a non cushioned folding like a director's chair and Marie likes a card table type chair in plastic. There are chairs which cost $200+ and Chairs which cost less than $10.

To us it is what is most comfortable. If you want the super light or compact, probably REI is a good place to visit and try out the compact chairs. West Marine for the large and bulky. We have never owned one of those.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had two sets of the large bulky vinyl West Marine white vinyl chairs in both aluminum and stainless steel. They are very heavy but comfy and the surviving SS pair is on the back porch. Don’t be tempted.

We also like the HD directors chair with foldout table, even though together we are under the 350 lb limit.

https://www.amazon.com/EVER-ADVANCED-Aluminum-Folding-Directors/dp/B07N67PKMK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ever+advanced+heavy+duty+folding+short+director%27s+chair+w%2Fside+table&qid=1606595270&sr=8-1

Over the past 8 years cruising, Eileen places a large HD plastic shower curtain over the berth cushions with the sheets and pillows enclosed in a large canvas bag. While underway, the chairs, folding small table, 50ft SmartPlug shorepower cord, rear transom seat cushion, Phifertex enclosure etc etc gets stashed in the V berth without getting the cushions or bedding wet or dirty.

Splash and rainwater prefers to enter the fishboxes rather than the corner scuppers (a TC255 issue first complained about in ancient hieroglyphics on cave walls). Fine for fenders, stern anchor and line, engine flush hoses etc. If you NEVER put fish in there you can disconnect the drain line at the macerator pump so fishbox water drains into the bilge to be automatically removed by the bilge pumps. Otherwise it can’t get past the macerator pumps until they are turned on.

I added an 8 inch, two bolt Schafer cleat on both sides vertically in the forward portion of the cockpit to better secure the forward and aft bollard lines when locking. Access by removing the gunnel insert and position them so the fishbox lids stay up when opened.

I’d advise adding a 12” SS handrail through the roof overhang using fender washers (no core and no leaking) over the deck water fill (port) and pump-out (starboard). One day there will be no finger pier on the side you need one. We also added one at each aft corner and over the aft door.

You can’t see the trailer stops when loading. I made a removable ½” PVC pipe indicator with red tape marking where I need the bow railing to kiss that pipe. Even with EarTechs, visual cues beat verbal ones.

On many if not most ramps the boat will slide back a few inches after pulling out and you can’t winch it forward. At less than walking speed when level, stomp the brakes to slide her forward. This won’t work on gravel or with the transom straps secured.

Now you need an album, some pics to post, and a marina reservation in the Keys!

Cheers!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John forgot the obligatory Deckadence in the cockpit for a rug, and in the 255 you have to use the expensive stuff below. Us lowly 25 owners get by with the cheaper vinyl loop pool mats from American Floor coverings.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON Discovery we have used GCI folding chairs for the last 15 years. The sewing finally gave out on one chair when we were on the Trent Severn Canal in 2017. Dixie borrowed a needle and sailmaker thread from another boater and fixed that one. The second chair came apart in the same seam at Lake Powell this year.

I can't find the exact chairs that we have , but this one is close. They fold up flat and we tied them in the aft port corner of the cockpit. If we hadn't sold Discovery, I would be buying two new chairs. Two chairs fold to be no more than 4" thick tied together.

Get chairs with aluminum frames, no rusty steel.

The GCI chairs seem to be sold out,but the chairs Gulfcoast John listed are very similar.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/directors-chairs/pico-arm-chair-telescoping-directors-chair/?attribute_pa_colors=indigo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6GesNKm7QIV0iCtBh14ywbTEAQYASABEgKBU_D_BwE

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
olekils

City/Region: Goleta
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: olekils
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Inflatable Reply with quote

I just bought one of these high pressure inflatable chairs to use on our Tomcat, they are decently comfortable and pack down very efficiently. Since we have a high pressure dingy, we already have the pump situation figured out:

https://www.boteboard.com/collections/inflatable-seating/products/inflatable-aero-chair?variant=34093038895243
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two camping chairs i bought at costco and put cane tips on the legs. they work great. cheap and low stowage factor.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
ON Discovery we have used GCI folding chairs for the last 15 years. The sewing finally gave out on one chair when we were on the Trent Severn Canal in 2017. Dixie borrowed a needle and sailmaker thread from another boater and fixed that one. The second chair came apart in the same seam at Lake Powell this year.

I can't find the exact chairs that we have , but this one is close. They fold up flat and we tied them in the aft port corner of the cockpit. If we hadn't sold Discovery, I would be buying two new chairs. Two chairs fold to be no more than 4" thick tied together.

Get chairs with aluminum frames, no rusty steel.

The GCI chairs seem to be sold out,but the chairs Gulfcoast John listed are very similar.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/directors-chairs/pico-arm-chair-telescoping-directors-chair/?attribute_pa_colors=indigo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6GesNKm7QIV0iCtBh14ywbTEAQYASABEgKBU_D_BwE

The newer GCI Pico chairs are great... until they’re not. I leaned over to pick up up a dropped item and had the aluminum casting break.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: