The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is There Room In The Cockpit Of A 22 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Happy

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Is There Room In The Cockpit Of A 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats!!- Is there room in your 22' C-Dory Cruisers to put side benches for seating are at least 16" deep on both sides and at least four feet long and still leave comfortable walking room to the motor or for big feet while sitting?

Just saw a picture of two long benches in a 22 angler which has a longer cockpit so we know it is doable there. 4' of benches could work for us for lounging. The cock pit is 4.5' from what I understand but I don't know if any angles or other things would prohibit us building 4-4.5'benches. Thanks!

Angler

City/Region: Clarence
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Laurie Jean (Tim & Laurie)
Photos: Laurie Jean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: bench seating Reply with quote

Did you come up with a solution to your question?
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been done. Is there room for anything else back there if a person wanted to put those benches in? .... No.

In my opinion there is not enough space back there. Most people just carry a couple of lawn chairs or sit on a cooler. Its a small boat. It feels smaller the longer you stay on it. Adding benches would only make it worse.

Angler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: benches Reply with quote

Thanks!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat came with a Garelick seat that attaches to the aft cabin bulkhead. It is removable. This seat is useful for things like water sports. However, because of the door, there is only really room for one of this type seat. Generally we leave it at home and use folding chairs, which can be moved as needed.

https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=4777409
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a pair of the West Marine folding chairs and they worked quite nice in our 22. They have backpack type straps so are perfect for taking to the "party barge" at CBGTs. They seem to be very sturdy with good rubber "feet" and work for seating in the cockpit when underway if needed.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
My boat came with a Garelick seat that attaches to the aft cabin bulkhead. It is removable. This seat is useful for things like water sports. However, because of the door, there is only really room for one of this type seat. Generally we leave it at home and use folding chairs, which can be moved as needed.

https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=4777409

I just saw an album photo of a boat that had 2 of those seats in the cockpit, aft side of the cabin bulkhead with one on each side of the cabin door. I wondered if the door could open far enough to latch in the door stop. If the door can open far enough for that, I might be interested.

To the OP's question. Yes there is room BUT there won't be room for anything else or to get the cabin door open except to 90*. I would not do that in my boat. I either sit on the gunnel or on a fender on the cockpit sole, but then I'm a guy who likes to have everything on board serve at least 2 purposes.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be hard to put in fold down seats on each side. My dad's 26' sailboat boat had just that configuration and it was about the size of the cockpit of the 25 (a little bigger than the cockpit of the 22).

Most just side on coolers, chest refrigerators or storage boxes (as well as the chairs)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 22 I think a fold down bench across the back might be useful sometimes. As long as when folded up, it was not in the way of things. I was thinking of putting a bench in the splashwell cutout, but it is too high to sit comfortably.
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Benches Reply with quote

This sure is an active, helpful, wonderful group! I am picking up my new to me 22 cruiser next week and bringing her home to WNY and Lake Ontario. Going to be a long hard winter in anticipation of next years boating season. Thanks for accepting me.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did for seating and adds lots of storage too. Plenty of room to open the door and latch it open. Smaller cockpit yes but 4 people can sit on that bench and how many passengers are you taking? Throw cushions make it more comfy.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Green&id=Cockpit_Seat_Storage&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is a fish crazed boat camping nut like I am. There's good room in the back of a 22 for seating - not sure I'd do benches from stem to stern because of how the door swings and how narrow the boat is, but a nice big bench would be doable back by the splash well. We always store shrimp pots, coolers, chairs, chainsaws, and I kid you not, 50,000 other things in my boat in the cockpit, so that wouldn't work for us. Plus, there is the we go boating in a rainforest thing too. Anyway, I can see how it could be nice to have and I like what C-Green did.
Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seating for me was a couple of 5 gallon buckets with those plastic seat lids. Carried halibut weights, stringers, etc. in the buckets. They do slide around a lot.

I would think that a fold down bench could be designed that was hinged so it dropped down to cover the gas tanks and bilge area when not in use and then folded up with locking legs to support the front edge. Maybe keep a cushion stuffed somewhere in the cabin to put on it when in use. If it was fiberglass with gelcoat to match the boat it would look pretty clean and would not affect use of the boat for fishing, etc.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]If it was fiberglass with gelcoat to match the boat it would look pretty clean and would not affect use of the boat for fishing, etc..

Plywood would work fine. Saturate it with epoxy both sides, you could use 3/8" thick, with a 1x 2 frame and 2 or 3 cross members. If you want to be fancier, then a layer of glass cloth bedded in epoxy on the top.. The Hatteras White in several brands is a close enough match to the gel coat. Although locking legs are nice, not necessary if designed properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: