AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup:
As stated the problem seems to be my controller. I ordered another. I detailed this to the seller after filing a "dispute." They offered reimbursement. There are two controllers, one wired, one wireless. They work together. I have both. I eventually realized they offered reimbursement on the cheaper of the two, which was half the price of the one I needed. Then the dispute expired because it exceeded the amount of time (3 days) allotted by Alibaba / AliExpress, (a Chinese ebay?). In my opinion the system is set up in favor of the seller. So it's Buyer Beware if you have a problem. If I had to do this over again I'd spend a little more and do business with a seller that has merchandise warehoused in the USA.

AliExpress offered to have me return of the merchandise for full refund. I didn't think that prudent after spending 6 hours on the install, and probably another 2 hours to uninstall and box, and return postage is the responsibility of the buyer. I suspect return postage alone would amount to more than the cost of the controller. I'm prob out $20 for the controller. I can throw $20 out the window. To me it's the principle of the matter.

AliExpress sent me a questionaire about how satisfied I am. I answered honestly.

I also tried to file a review (1-5 stars) on their site, with description of my problem, and my difficulties with their customer service. The software came back that I am not permitted to use Chinese characters or symbols. I wish I knew some. I only used English. Like I say, their system is weighted in favor of the seller.

My idea of a tragedy is a deduction killed by a fact.

2008 22 Cruiser 2017-present
2003 Alumaweld Intruder 2012-present
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKMel wrote:
The software came back that I am not permitted to use Chinese characters or symbols. I wish I knew some. I only used English. Like I say, their system is weighted in favor of the seller.

Google is your friend...
该软件回来了,我不允许使用中文字符或符号

And thank you for the thorough documentation of your experience. Very helpful!

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Google is your friend...
该软件回来了,我不允许使用中文字符或符号

If Google translate works for English->Chinese as it seems to when translating some things to English, it might not be that helpful.
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a conversation with a Chinese friend today. She has been in the States about 6 months but is fluent in English. I mentioned about Chinese customer service lacking English ability. Her response was that, unless it's a big company, they don't have English speakers at all. She says they run the comments though Google Translate. (she considers that 85-90% accurate in translation). They then answer what they think we said, run their Mandarin answer through Google Translate again, and send the result.
Now that makes sense.... or does it.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKMel wrote:
I had a conversation with a Chinese friend today. She has been in the States about 6 months but is fluent in English. I mentioned about Chinese customer service lacking English ability. Her response was that, unless it's a big company, they don't have English speakers at all. She says they run the comments though Google Translate. (she considers that 85-90% accurate in translation). They then answer what they think we said, run their Mandarin answer through Google Translate again, and send the result.
Now that makes sense.... or does it.

When I was in China about a year ago, the hotel maids and taxi drivers would often use a translate app on their phones to talk to English speakers. Sometimes I'd be trying to tell the maid something and she'd stick her phone up to my face to get the translation of what I wanted.

BTW, it is not Google but something else. Most Chinese can't get Google (or Facebook, Instagram, etc.). But there is a Chinese government approved alternative to all of these services. Also BTW, the Chinese are way ahead of the US in terms of phone integration to services used by most people. For instance, Uber may sound neat in the US, but if you want a taxi in China you use a very similar sort of app. Good luck trying to get a taxi by just flagging one down. They've been doing it for longer than Uber has been around.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
But there is a Chinese government approved alternative to all of these services. Also BTW, the Chinese are way ahead of the US in terms of phone integration to services used by most people. For instance, Uber may sound neat in the US, but if you want a taxi in China you use a very similar sort of app. Good luck trying to get a taxi by just flagging one down. They've been doing it for longer than Uber has been around.

I would make a guess that anything & everything that has to with the web must be “Chinese government approved”. Communists are not known for their allowances of freedom & liberties.

ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
ssobol wrote:
But there is a Chinese government approved alternative to all of these services. Also BTW, the Chinese are way ahead of the US in terms of phone integration to services used by most people. For instance, Uber may sound neat in the US, but if you want a taxi in China you use a very similar sort of app. Good luck trying to get a taxi by just flagging one down. They've been doing it for longer than Uber has been around.

I would make a guess that anything & everything that has to with the web must be “Chinese government approved”. Communists are not known for their allowances of freedom & liberties.

It was kind of interesting that Google was not allowed (i.e. no Gmail), but AOL email worked fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: