cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Napa, CA Reply with quote

Has anyone cruised their c-dory to Napa? After the Bay Delta Extravaganza meet up I’m thinking about going up that river and hanging out in Napa for a few days…I hear they have good wine…or something. I used to go up that river all the time about 15 years ago but that was in a little boston whaler. I haven’t been recently. Any advice?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took Journey On there 2 times: a decade ago and 2 years ago. Really enjoyed it both times. Stayed at the Napa Yacht Club and walked into town. There may be something closer to town now, but it's a nice place to stay.

Things to see: Victorian homes on the way to downtown, Napa Historical Society, the restaurants and the activity around the yacht club. Also the trip up and down was fun. You can visit the Mare Island Ship Yard Exhibit if you stop in Vallejo.

Here's a link to the Napa and Petaluma Trip. We hope you enjoy yourself.

Boris
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info! I hear the Peteluma river is extremely silted up. Is it still navigable?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the Corps of Engineers’ 2019 work plan, announced Thanksgiving week, the Petaluma River did not get approved for dredging, dealing another major blow that could impact flood control measures and compound revenue losses already being felt by the local economy.

Write your congressman--and request that this dredging be done. It is supposed to be done every 4 years. Last time done: 1998! If it were a true commercial waterway, I suspect it would have more precedent.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took Journey On to Petaluma in 2016, two years ago. The Petaluma River was fine and fun/interesting with plenty of depth/width. We also found out that a 25' C-Dory can go under the Petaluma Bridge at low tyde if you put the antenna down. And, as shown on the charts, there's a mud bank on the starboard side, which shows at low tyde. Stay in the middle of the river as you approach the bridge then bear to port until you tie up at the docks. The marina at the Petaluma River entrance appears to be gone.

Jim Gibson with the Delta and Bay Extravaganza should have the latest information.

Petaluma certainly is a more interesting place to visit than Napa. The dock are next to a great bunch of restaurants, the old Carnegie Library is a great place to visit and they have a town walking tour. And don't forget American Graffiti was made there. First place my dad worked after he came to the US and we have a son living nearby so it's visited frequently (by auto.). Don't miss it.

Boris
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
We took Journey On to Petaluma in 2016, two years ago. The Petaluma River was fine and fun/interesting with plenty of depth/width. We also found out that a 25' C-Dory can go under the Petaluma Bridge at low tyde if you put the antenna down. And, as shown on the charts, there's a mud bank on the starboard side, which shows at low tyde. Stay in the middle of the river as you approach the bridge then bear to port until you tie up at the docks. The marina at the Petaluma River entrance appears to be gone.

Jim Gibson with the Delta and Bay Extravaganza should have the latest information.

Petaluma certainly is a more interesting place to visit than Napa. The dock are next to a great bunch of restaurants, the old Carnegie Library is a great place to visit and they have a town walking tour. And don't forget American Graffiti was made there. First place my dad worked after he came to the US and we have a son living nearby so it's visited frequently (by auto.). Don't miss it.

Boris

I'll talk to Jim and get his take. Despite going to college in Vallejo I never really explored past Benicia. Mostly cause we were poor college students. How long does the transit up the Peteluma river take?
Norcalfish80

City/Region: Northern
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petaluma River is still quite easy to go up. There are issues when entering the area near the launch ramp in Petaluma, but that is not where the docks you'd tie off at are. I take my Montauk up there somewhat regularly. If you do not try to enter the harbor area where the launch is at low tide you should be fine. I'm not really sure how long it takes as I never time it and normally detour, but less than an hour cruising around 20 knots probably. I live in Petaluma and it's a wonderful place to explore. Try "Lala's Creamery" for the best ice cream I've had in ages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: