View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: 2 Choices Reply with quote

Ok, we pretty have it down to 2 choices in our budget for a dingy for our upcoming San Juans trip on our C22 Cruiser. We won't be able to afford a motor at this time and will be paddling and hoping for good conditions:

Kaboat 12':
https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk396.asp

or

Zodiac Wave 9' (or WM PRU-3 if it goes on sale):
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2289544

What d'ya think?
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zodiac for quality and longevity
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French built Zodiac boats should be of good quality with the thermowelded seams. The Chinese Zodiac boats (e.g. Zoom models) are glued.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Kaboat. It should paddle decently and a $150 trolling motor and a $100 Group 27 battery should push it quite nicely, enough to go a couple of miles and back before recharging.

David
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought a Mercury Marine inflatable from the Mercruiser dealer. I'd say it's equally as well built as our previous Zodiacs were. It was a bit cheaper than the current Zodiac too, but maybe that's because we're in Canada?
Smaller air chambers may make the Kaboat more maneuverable but you can't beat a good inflatable boat with a hard sectional floor for durability, safety and buoyancy. The only down side to any of the inflatables we've owned is the fact that they're not quite as easy to deflate, roll up and put back in the carry bag as the manufacturers lead us to believe. The sectional floors are a bit awkward to get in at first too.
Good luck with your search.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither one is what you should get. If you are rowing anymore then a few yards you will not want the flat floor of either boat. the zodica flat floor design ( regardless of brand) is a slow hard row. Get a boat with a inflatable floor and v hull. http://www.bustersmarine.com/240airdeck.html

You can find used ones on craiglist all the time. they row easily and smoothly. you sill be far happeir with this if you are rowing two people. I have had both and this is what I use now.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both PRU 2 and 3 (by somewhat different names thru the years). The slats for floor are likely to break. They can be re-inforced with a layer of epoxy and glass--best on each side. The floor is still a bit "wobbly" at best.

Our preference--as is Tom's is an Air Floor--I note that the K boat you ref. is equipped with an air floor. It is also easy to paddle, and drive with a small motor--For those reasons I would favor it. Now the down side. Depends on what the top of your boat is like--but it may be harder to put on the top, and to inflation on the boat because of its length.

Don't plan on towing an inflatable.....sure people get away with it many times. But I have seen a number lost in heavy weather. Never boat in heavy weather??? $$ happens, and you find yourself with an inflatable kite.

Hypalon is better than PVC--look at the thickness, coating and weave of the fabric. If you keep the boat stored and out of the UV--a good PVC boat will still last a long time.. I have owned 20+ year old Hypalon boats.

You will want an electric inflator: I have what is now the Scoprega Bravo BST800 Electric Air Pump with Alligator Clips. I cannot comment on the cheaper Bravo 12.
I also scored on a Ryobi 18 volt battery low pressure (to 3.5 PSI) inflator for $15 on sale at Home Depot recently--The beauty is the battery is the same as I use in the fan and a number of other Ryobi "tools" and accessories I have. I use one of the 12 volt Li ion jump start packs to power the Bravo high pressure pump for the air floor. The hand or foot pumps are difficult to use on board the boat for initial inflation--and somewhat for topping off. Keep the boat well inflated.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, these last few posts prove that personal preference plays a big part. We bought an air floor inflatable a few years ago and only used it once before selling it, at a considerable loss, and purchasing the model with the sectional floor. Personally I prefer the ride and "feeling" of the sectional floor and am willing to endure the inconvenience of more difficult maneuverability and assembly.
I guess the best advise to the OP would be to try one of each out, from assembly through sea trial and back to disassembly.
Have fun.
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past summer we spent two weeks in the San Juans and Gulf Islands. With the two of us, our CD22, we tied two kayaks to the roof;

https://www.ems.com/pelican-fazer-100-kayak/2048570.html#q=kyaks&start=10

For $200 you can't beat them.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin wrote:
We bought an air floor inflatable a few years ago and only used it once before selling it, at a considerable loss, and purchasing the model with the sectional floor. Personally I prefer the ride and "feeling" of the sectional floor and am willing to endure the inconvenience of more difficult maneuverability and assembly.

We have owned inflatables continuously since 1962--a Avon Red Sea was our firstl. Along the way we had a couple of plywood/aluminum "rigid floors". We found them very difficult to put together even on some of the larger boats. The weight generally is more. I grant that the ride at planing speeds is slightly better than a good air floor. But a RIB is far better than either. The air floor has to be up to about 11 to 13 PSI--too soft, and not a well inflated keel will lead to dis-satisfaction. My son has an rigid floor he leaves inflated and uses around the harbor--and got an air floor for taking on longer boat trips as the dinghy for his 25.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad: Have you seen those 2 choices in person? They seem big for a C Dory.

I bought this dinghy last year and like it. Fully composite, only 7.5 feet long and 55 lbs. Good choice for a C Dory.

http://directboats.com/basicrowboat.html

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan and I love our kayaks and take them all the time on the boat. We took the dinghy for the dog more then for us. many times we took the dinghy and two kayaks. If you are just going to explore then the kayaks are a better option. If you are going shopping then the dinghy's are better.

But as was said some people prefer less efficient , poor rowing wobbles dinghy's because??? they don't know any better??? hell I don't know to each his own. But one thing is right, try one of each and find the one you like the best.

Oh and mine is 9 ft long and I load is on and off my self.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom makes a good point--some of us are stronger, younger and in better shape than others. 45 years ago, used to row a 16 foot dory 6 miles every morning--and carry it. at a weight of 125#. Now I cannot lift more than 20# and rowing is completely out of the question.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of our extensive travel, I have not had a dinghy. And can only think of very few times that one would have really been handy. But I don't travel with pets either. And with the size and draw of our boats, quite easy to get them into shore, at least where I've been. That being said, I did finally buy two inflatable Kayaks. A standard whitewater rafting one for my wife, and a Hobie peddle one for me. Love them. Great for getting off the boat and exploring or getting to land if necessary. I also bought an electric inflator that works great: BTP Mano Two Stage Electric Turbo Pump for Inflatable Kayaks, SUPS, and Boats . I've wired in a harness off my starboard starting battery that I can plug the inflator into directly. Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 14 foot Kaboat. I have not had it on the water yet, but blew it up in my basement. It seems to be well built and should suit our needs well both with and without the C-Dory. We bought the 14 foot version to give us more cargo room for side trips. I am planning to get a motor for it. I have been debating between electric and gas, but I am leaning towards a Suzuki 2.5 HP, because it is easier to carry more gas on a long trip than to charge batteries.

Normally we carry two 13.5 foot Seaward Matra Kayaks on top. These work well, but there are trips where a dingy would be more versatile.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: