The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Yamaha Gen'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: New Yamaha Gen' Reply with quote

Was gonna name this: "RedFox has a baby" Laughing but I put it in the "Library" here, thinkin I better keep it more serious Shocked

Have you seen the new 2400 watt inverter Gen’ from Yamaha folks!! No, I ain’t got no “business” selling this stuff, just here to show yas it and my cover I zapped-up for it, to outfit my other baby (RedFox) for some serious winter gear.
Sold oof the Honda 2000 watt inverter Gen to my sister (she just loves it, always remarks how it “sounds like her serger”) Can’t say enough good for the Honda. Several hundred hours use in rain and snow, in 30-below zero weather. Took it apart to clean it before I sold it… it was like new inside!
Well, this was the choice I needed to make, since I was pushing the 2K Honda a little too hard maybe, it sure did have to work; pushing that 1500 watt heater on high. With the new Yami’ and it’s large engine and fuel tank, it won’t run out at 5 am anymore! Plus, my sister has a good gen now.
That cover… I zapped-up out of some old vinyl I had left-over from a boat-top I made several years ago!
Can’t wait to go on my whale bone expedition!! Now I’ll have a gen’ that makes a better back-up heating system, if need-be.
That’s all I got for the (friendly) Brats tonight. Out….poof**
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Looking good!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Wow! That's a sweet looking unit. A little more power never hurt anyone.

Best,
Scaley
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankya fellas Smile I'll try a report on it here, when I get time on it.... torture it a little too Twisted Evil hehehe see how it holds-up Very Happy
And yes, I like the style a little better too I must say Love
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweeet... still no gen for FreeByrd....or C-Byrd. Looks good so far.

and fox.... nice socks with those sandles too.... Xmas Eek

Byrdman in Bama
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... I always have sox'n-sandals Shocked Cool Mr. Green

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 1000 Yami inverter gen, little brother to this monster, for summer use Idea

Seems to be a fine line to cross in milage on a 22 C-D, when it comes to weight @ milage ... Neutral

Need that stern-heavy rigging though .... no e-tech rage for me bro ... Idea
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I suppose I should give report here on new baby (the mighty little Yamaha that could --- "2400 inverter generator")

This report: discovering another crucial point of convenience ("easy maintenance") Love

Valve adjustments! On the Honda I sold off to sister (Honda eu 2000 i) which I am currently doing a "200 hour" valve adjustment on: involves almost total disassembly of the "outer plastic cabinet" (splitting the housing) is a pain so far, for such a job that should be simple! From tackling it yesterday evening, I would guess a dealer would charge up to two hours for this task. (spendy service) And most I advise to let a dealer handle this task, because getting the housings back together is a bit tricky... if ya screw-it-up, there could be a serious fuel leak. So watch it son!

Now, in comparison to "new baby" (the "Yamaha EF 2400 iS") The construction is far less sophisticated! which results in a simple easy-to-take-apart (panels remove with screws only) and access the overhead valve cover! The Yamaha wins my vote with this convenience-of-maintenance; which also includes making oil changes easier, more thorough, and less of a mess!

Out and about: Last month on the "8 day winter trip" in the PW Sound on RedFox (Feb 06 "The Return") it performed flawlessly (I was relying on it heavily, using it a LOT)! The coldest morning I suspected some trouble, when waking in a gale-wind and 13 degrees----it fired on the second pull, and pulled-over very easy thanks to a well designed decompression release. This engine is almost double the size as the slightly smaller Honda generator it replaced. The effort pulling-over is about the same to me.

Rants and raves! The only thing I miss about the Honda is of course the 20-less-pounds, smaller size and slightly better fuel economy @ low-wattage settings. But then again the engine is about half the size on the Honda.

Fuel economy for the Yamaha is probably better (?) when both are pushing 1500 watts. The Yamaha seems quieter at greater loads, because it is basically a "big block" (in theory) in comparison. Much more relaxed sound from the "lower rpm design" working about half as hard as the slightly smaller Honda. This 'new baby really fits much better for winter-use on camper or boat.

Layout is far better in my opinion too: All controls are on the front, and the recoil is higher too, giving better-leverage for starting. The gas gauge is way-too-kewel!! Honda should stop f'n around and get with it (if they have not already) and get this on their comparable generators pronto!

In closing: I would buy the Honda again without hesitation, if it fit my needs better. Great little unit, but just a little too complex and a less user-friendly design.

TTFN. out...
Bat
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Sounds like tht gen set is just right for you the pics don't show for me is it much bigger than the 2000? Sounds like you have a nice little shop setup, are you all moved in now? So when are you going to get a small lathe for metal and start making some parts for all these gadgets? should warn you thou metal working is a form of addiction but you allready know that I guess !
Richard
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Richie. Beer Good question. When side-by-side, the Yami is pretty large in comparison. Not really so much in measurements though. Without getting out the actual specs of them, I figure the Yami is pretty close to all the outer dimensions of the Honda, but about 4 or 5 inches inches deeper, and another 20 pounds ... not bad for more conventional design, surrounded by a simple housing! All of this and the Yamaha engine sits at a slant too boot! Thumbs Up Idea

I would love a lathe!! Gonna get one too! hehehe I'm just gettin into my prime after all. Tux

Pirate Deb told me the other day "but I want a tiggy (TIG welder) all of my own" Shocked what a gal Rolling Eyes looks like our children are gonna be nonorganic Disgust Laughing

No, we are not moved yet, but well on the way this spring! It should be hectic this year getting settled in. Surprised arrg!

UncleRichie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg,
Been looking at the honda just can't seem to justify geting one yet.
I have had a lathe for awhile now and am looking at a small mill, just some things you can't do on a lathe. Sure is nice to be able to fix somethings that you can't buy parts for anymore ( and a lot cheeper) . Finally got a mig welder but haven't tried a tig yet, hafto get a plasma cutter first beats heck out of the torch for the light stuff.
Richard
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard. I made up a page for ya to take a looksee...
http://www.msnusers.com/C-DoryRedFox/generator.msnw
Anyone interested in choosing a new 2-k gen' might want to see this too! Smile
Do you have any favorite brands for a lathe and mill Question Neutral arrg Surprised
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg-

Wow! That's some BRUTE of a generator at 70 lbs! Looks and sounds like another WINNER from Yamaha!

I'm still using a Honda 1000ie generator, with an inverter to get the momemtary power to start a 700 watt microwave. I added two extra group 27 batteries to get 460 amp hours of capacity, and can rely on the battery capacity and the inverter to get me by for short term heavy power usages, and then replace the battery drain over a longer period with the much smaller 28 lb Honda. This works for me because the maximum drain I ever need on continuous electric heater usage is the "low" setting at about 750 watts.

Where are you storing it on Red Fox, on the new shelf over the aft of the cockpit? I'm running out of storage space on Sea Wolf!

Great job on the cockpit cover, by the way!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it a winner! Note What is kinda funny though; the big Yami is really sort of over-enginered (cc wise) and the Honda slightly under! I mean it is a screamer in comparison, I do admire the fact Honda has made an actual "Overhead Cam" engine for a generator - Amazing! Highmarks for the big/little Honda: that "200 hour valve adjust" was really about a 4 or 6 hundred hour one... Embarrased only one valve was slightly out (about .002 in) Amazing quality too! ultra impressed, but no way would I go back! Shocked

The Big Yami hardly even knows it's working in comparison, even when your overloading it. Star I'm getting the 1000 watt little brother this year, for summer use. I now have another electric heater (the 4th one now, I must have a fetish! Smile --- hehehe) it is the "West Marine" one and I am ultra impressed with it to. First thing I looked for was where it is made (being it is sort of a spendy little gem Neutral ) it is made in Canada! (a good thing) for West Marine --- Wahoo! so I cashed-in my "rewards check" and nabbed it because of the "3 heat settings" which will work well with the new 1000 watt gen. Looking at the specs of the 1000 gens (Honda and Yamaha) the newer "brand Y" has an edge! (what else did ya expect from them) Smile Call it generator fetish I guess! hehehe

Well, my tiny new TIG torch came in, gotta go...
arrg Surprised
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... the gen and other things are usually in the large cockpit at least for the first leg of the journey, when I know the water is going to be good, everything goes up top and sits in the tender (the second story). On return trips (when I have burned-off my stern weight (fuel) I will have the gen sitting as far back as possible - over the transom and actually slightly past the main engine, to help get some weight back where it should be! -- arrg Surprised Very Happy
UncleRichie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
boy that insen't that much bigger looks very nice I guess I am going to half to look at a Yamaha. I have small Jet lathe 9x20 and am probally going to get a Grizzly mill. They are both on the smaller size but my shop isn't that big so they fit. The lathe has worked out perty good so far, have used it to fix everthing from making fishing reel bearing to making small shafts for the lawnmower .
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: