The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lenco trim tabs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken 120

City/Region: Sea Isle City,
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Lenco trim tabs Reply with quote

Hello all:

Doing the Spring pre launch prep on my 22-moved my trim tabs(electric not hydraulic) and they made an unusually loud noise and one would not fully extend or fully retract. Hit both with liquid wrench and both work fine now - I have done nothing to them in the last 7 years I have owned this boat-Has me thinking:

1. Should I apply a water resistant grease to the pistons before I launch since the liquid wrench will wash off fast once launched?

2. Does it matter if the pistons are extended or retracted when not in use in the water- I keep the boat in the water in the summer.

3. During winter storage does it matter if the pistons are extended or retracted-Seems that it would make sense to lube the shafts and then retract them into the cylinder for the winter.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ken
CFISHN

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: WV
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had Lenco tabs for 12 years now on one boat "salt water" .
The other 4 years .

They are super & we have had NO PROBLEMS period.

That said the pilot house is keep on a lift & the tabs stay retracted to keep from possible damage ,if loaded to far forward.

The newer model with the water proof snap together wiring Thumbs Up can be installed in such a way that they retract when you turn the key off.

I always retract my tabs for storage & have never given them any special care ...
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved my Lenco on both the 22 and the 27. I always retract them when not in use. the last two years they spend the summer in the salt water so I make sure that they are retracted.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Lencos have had some water intrusion issues, and they have been redesigned with more O rings to seal them more completely. My tabs were bought in 2004, and one failed in 2010, in the up position. Lenco did the redesign I'm thinking about 2008, but not really sure. That may or may not be your problem, but a call to Lenco could be helpful. I called them on one occasion, and they were good to work with.
I don't think that I would ever leave the tabs fully extended while the boat was in the water, just in case the tabs (one or both) failed and could not be raised.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting new. Had a really weird situation with my port Lenco Trim Tab, and can't figure out why. The boat is on it's trailer out next to the house, and it's been pretty cold out recently. (Live near Madison Wi). With the boat right here at the house, I do check it frequently. The other day I went out to look at the Battery Charger & wiring, as I have ordered a new Mastervolt Chargemaster, and just wanted to start getting ideas of what new wiring and materials I would need. Walking up to the boat, I noticed the port trim tab hanging down. The bottom nylon bracket that is pressed into the bottom of the piston had come out. I can not imagine it coming apart like that on it's own, and am assuming someone was out there purposely vandalizing it; either that or a deer or large animal put some weight on it. Anyway, with some finesse and pressure, I was able to get the end piece pressed back into the piston. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen or had this issue? Lenco agreed with me that about the only way that could come apart is with someone physically pushing down on the tab. (As it standing or sitting on it.)

The black end with the hole is the piece that had pulled out of the piston. BTW, the little black pin next to it, is the nylon pin that holds the tab bracket to the piston. I am replacing the pin with a s/s bolt.

This shows the trim tab piston installed back on the boat, but with a temporary pin holding the tab bracket on. The nylon pin here was sheared as I worked on pressing the "plug end" back into the piston.

I did take the top cap off the piston to remove the piston from the stern, rather than trying to pull the wire thru the stern. Other than just some slight rust, it was pretty clean. Lenco suggested I use some 4200 around the cap and nuts to reseal it tight. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that something/one put weight on the tab, to pull the nylon bushing out. These are put in with a hydraulic dimple, and once that pulls thru the nylon, it will be easier to pull out in the future. I probably would have put a few drops of an epoxy, like "G-flex" on the nylon bushing. If it comes out again, you can drill and put a small self taping screw into the metal, and into the nylon bushing type of piece. The pin having sheared, also points to some very substantial weight put on the tab.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Actually since I have it back together now, I think I'll go ahead and drill a small hole and put a screw in the dimpled part to keep it from happening again. The pin sheared when I was using a hydraulic jack trying to push the bushing back into the piston. That didn't work, so I ended up having to take the entire piston off the boat and work on it in my garage. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this happened again. No issues with the boat at the Hontoon gathering, and all looked fine yesterday. Today however I noticed the same trim tab hanging down again. Here is a picture of where the end has popped out.

Bob, I forgot to drill and put a screw in it last time. The boat was parked in a different position than last time, and I'm beginning to wonder if there is some internal pressure causing it to fail like this. I'm leaning towards replacing the unit this time, but will pull it apart tomorrow to see what it looks like inside.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I have the same tabs you do. How many hours do you have on the boat? Is that the same for the tabs?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1100 on the original outboard. I don't know, but assume the tabs came with the original boat as well.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colby, Guess I should go take a look at mine, just in case. I have a few more hours on SleepyC. Best in your repair.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up ordering two new actuators from West Marine. Actually I ordered their Bennet refit kit, as you get two actuators in the kit. And I believe they are the standard size actuators that I would need anyway. I got the kit for $259. The cheapest actuators I could find otherwise were about $180/each. So it made sense to go ahead and order the refit kit to get both actuators at a cheaper cost than what I'd spend for two. Today I pulled the back panel off in front of the gas tanks, and pulled my port tank. That's so I can get at the wiring that goes thru the stern. Wanted to pull the tanks anyway at some point, to rebed the tank hold down bracket screws, and fix where the back panel is screwed at the bottom into my raised cockpit floor. The tanks were full of fuel, so I pumped out that port tank into some gas cans. When I get done with that side, I'll transfer to the fuel in the starboard tank to the port tank and work on that side. I also had to pull my kicker and it's bracket off on the starboard side to access the trim tab actuator there. So the back of the boat is kind of torn apart. Still ice on the local lakes anyway! Colby
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no Colby! You'll never get that back together!

In that last picture it looks like something black and ragged on the end of the shaft.

Is that busted plastic or maybe some tape you stuck on there? Just curious, really, since it doesn't matter now. Your fix sounds good.

Good move getting the kit with a spare actuator. I had to replace one of my Lenco actuators a few years back and it seems the best price I could find at the time was $187 for one. I don't recall that kit being available at the back then.

Have fun crawling around down there in the back. It gets easier every year, doesn't it? Don't bump your head.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby these things just don't "happen". I suspect that Sasquatch is alive and well in your area, and just hopped up there to take a look inside of the boat. (Are you sure that some of the "Kiddies" you drive around are not vandals? )

Let us know how the Bennet fit the Lenco tabs....
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that black is an overzealous use of Black 5200 to keep any water from leaking in last time I fixed it. Bob, Sasquatch? Perhaps. I was thinking a curious deer last year when it happened. But I have to wonder if water got inside, froze, and pushed the end piece back out? I suppose it could be vandals as my boat is parked outside. However, we have not had any problems in our rather quiet neighborhood. With the tabs location I think more damage could be done easier in other areas. Also, it's actually a Lenco kit to retrofit Bennet tabs. But the kit comes with two actuators, and is much cheaper than buying replacement Lenco actuators seperately. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: