View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Nootka!!! Reply with quote

Looks like things are lining up for this to be home sweet home the second week of August!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vGMqe3fIlI

To say I'm a little excited might be a understatement! Anyone willing to share some Nootka fishing knowledge??

John
Scallywag
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great video . I got to fish Winter harbor this last summer and it was awesome. what is the deal with the floating cabin? is it for rent? any info would be great.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
I fished up there and based out of Critter Cove 2007-2012. You're gonna love it!
Fishing can be all on the inside or a mixture of inside Nootka Sound and on the ocean. Fishing can be red hot or stone cold.
Would love to share some knowledge. Rick of C Dawg has also fished up there as has Peter of C Dancer. Would be fun to meet up and chat about it all.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nootka is a pretty amazingly special place. When the fish are in, they are plentiful and staggeringly easy to hook. You can throw a sock on a hook in the water and you'll catch.

First time we went, my son and I were new to the area and pretty new to ocean fishing as well. We fished black hoochies (which some people didn't even know existed)) on the inside and bang, bang, "cookie cutter" fish for both of us within about a half hour. Cookie cutters are springs (kings to you guys) between 15 and 25 lbs or so. Same trip we had 2 double headers of fish in the 30 lb range.

While it's a question of personal preference, try a Canadian mooching (i.e. knuckle duster) reel and use dummy flashers so you fight only the fish and not the flasher too. You may get hooked on them. I've never fished a bait caster in the ocean. I use mooching reels for salmon and halibut. So simple and so fun.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where that ramp[ is that is shown right at the very end of the Video? Way better than most ramps I have found up around the north end. Love the scenery.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input gang!

Tom, The guy's name is Murray. Super laid back. He originally posted it on craigslist and I thought it was a scam because it took a while to here back from him. Turns out he just likes to spend a little time in Cabo!! He now has it posted on AirBnB https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18237222?guests=1&adults=1 , but I think just e-mailing him would help keep your costs down. mlv@shaw.ca I was suppose to go last year but some medical things popped up, but my aunt and her husband went and loved it. He let me know if we take care of it and are good guests he'll keep us in the rotation!

Patrick, I'd love to meet up with you guys! I'm overseas now but get back state side on the 30th so lets work schedules and see what works!!

On the knuckle busters, well, I fly fish but who knows maybe some day!!

Harvey, I think that's Gold River, where I'll be launching from.

Thanks again for the replies guys!

John
Scallywag
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I will look into Gold River. I know some of those roads up north are a bit "rustic", so finding a decent road with a good launch is usually a search. Thanks for the info. Be safe and look for you up north.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched from Gold River to get to Nootka. Here's our description of Nootka, including launching: Nootka Sound. There's a good paved road from Campbell River to the Gold River/Friendly Cove launch; but don't be in a hurry, the road winds. You'll also have to ferry over from the mainland; either from Vancouver or Port Angeles.

We went to Nootka for the history, but there were more fishermen there than cruisers. It's the first place Europeans came to the North West coast; first the Spanish and the English in the form of Capt. Cook. Friendly Cove is where Capt. Cook met the Natives, but Critter Cove is where the fishermen spend the nights. It was also fun to visit Tahsis and Zeballos.

Good luck fishing.

Boris
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

The 1st Nations tribe who owns the Gold River launch renovated it a couple of years ago and they did a nice job. It was pretty rickety before that. They also can store your truck and trailer behind a secure fenced area. You need to bring Canadien $ and its pricey but well worth the piece of mind. I think we paid $100-120 CD in 2017 for 5 days.

The road to Gold River and beyond to the launch is good as well. A very easy trailer trip. Hope this helps.

Peter
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:

The road to Gold River and beyond to the launch is good as well. A very easy trailer trip.
Peter

Thanks, I have wondered about that.

A bit of a sidetrack, but the photo of the black bears in the airbnb link above, and the comments about driving across the island to Gold River, reminded me of something I learned recently.

I had always heard there were no grizzly bear on Vancouver Island, and this puzzled me as they can surely swim. Then this past fall while wandering around the north part of the island I ran into an ex-forest service employee who told me there are now about 25 resident grizzly bear on Vancouver Island.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John thanks for the link. Price is right for a group. I will not be going up the island this year because Susan wants to see every castle in the uK. its her birthday , but next summer I am going to have to do this .
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Thanks for the info. WOW, I paid $25 a week in Telegraph Cove, highly secure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Peter, Thanks for the info. WOW, I paid $25 a week in Telegraph Cove, highly secure.

Harvey, there IS free parking too. Dont expect your rig or trailer to be intact when you get back though

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside fishing spots- Hoise Point, Camel Rock, rock wall across from critter cove, and bay on NW corner of Bligh Island.

Outside- rock wall south of and next to lighthouse, bay NW of lighthouse amongst rock islands, off the SE corner of Bligh Island including far side of channel, and out to the 'highway' I think they called it the strawberry patch for Columbia River bound Chinook.

Good luck

Brought back memories of having 4, 30 pound plus salmon on board and eating breakfast by 8AM at Critter Cove. Daughter caught the catch of the day with a 36 pounder. She still has the hat they gave her. She was 15 at the time.
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have some good input. I'm not familiar with that area, but can give some general comments. My experience by us has been that salmon generally move along not far from shore looking for their stream or river, then cluster for a while waiting for the right tide and moon. It may help if you can learn which river the Chinooks run in. Schools can also hang out temporarily around reefs or other bait spots (points with a lot of tide movement) on their way in. Whales around can be a clue to bait. If guided the guide will know the spots. Locals will have a lot of insights but sometimes don't want to reveal their hot spots. If there are a number of boats working one area that's a good clue. I've had the best luck trolling with a herring cut so it flashes. But if you hit the run just right almost anything will work. Have a great trip!

My idea of a tragedy is a deduction killed by a fact.

2008 22 Cruiser 2017-present
2003 Alumaweld Intruder 2012-present
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: