View previous topic :: View next topic  
c-brats123

City/Region: Key west
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sära III
Photos: Sara III
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Pilot house hatch for C Dory 22 suggestions Reply with quote

I am in South Florida. Looking for ideas on installing a hatch on the pilot house roof as well as dorade cowling vents. Appreciate your help. I am new to the group and bought a 22 Cruiser last fall.
Thanks, Jim
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Hatch roof Reply with quote

I just put in a AC unit so I had to cut in a 14/14 roof hole to accommodate the Mach 8 Coleman AC We just bought a 2300 genset so this should power the AC Good luck with your hatch
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are any number of small hatches. Which you could put on the roof. Remember that the roof is crowned--you can build a flat surface, as I have done for the air conditioner--and put a hatch on that. (Build up with resin and glass, keep fair and level.

There is a low profile hatch by Lewmar which is about 10 1/4 x 10 1/4. That is a good size. You want ventilation, but not a lot of sun coming in. If you had hatches, you might want a shade under them. They collect a lot more heat than the cored cabin top. I had a sky light in my motor home--and it had two shades under it--one translucent, and one which was light occlusive. It was double layer acrylic; air space to give some insulation.

In several of my sailboats which had pilot houses, I put in the small hatches as the above Lewmar. One faced forward, and one aft. That gave ventilation, and a good way to see the sails from the inside station. Those boats were sailed in the tropics extensively.

Opening the front window and side windows gives a good air flow. You need to run the boat before starting to cut. Dorades don't give a lot of air flow. They are designed for ventilation, where there is serious water--so that the water is trapped and drained off, where as the air goes thru the baffles. They usually have a shutter in the bottom port where they come into the cabin, so the air flow can be totally cut off. Fit and used well on sailboat boats--I found the small hatches were far better than the dorades for circulation. By the time the air flows thru the baffle system, there is not a not of velocity.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: