View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Bow protection Reply with quote

I picked up my CD 22 from the shop today (fuel pickup in the second tank had deteriorated after replacing the other one in the spring) and as I hooked it up I saw a big chip of gelcoat down to the fiberglass about 6 inches above the bow eye.

I do not know when the damage occurred as I had not seen it when I hooked up the boat to take it to the shop. I use a valet launch service so I don't typically see the front of the boat. The damage could have been at the shop, while retrieving the boat or while retrieving the anchor.

I have a guy fixing the damage but I want to protect that area from future damage as well.

I have looked through the forum and seen a couple of suggestions from a few (and more than a few) years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has updated thoughts.

I would like to protect the bow against anchoring or trailering mishaps so the shield should probably go all the way from the bow eye up. I've also thought about a keel protector for beaching though I don't do that often.

I won't be doing the work myself (because I am really bad at boat work!) but would like an installation that is reasonably easy so my boat storage guy can do it. That means no milling of aluminum or other fancy stuff. He can certainly work with epoxy or self adhesive.

Thanks!
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good discussions of scuff protectors here and here.

If your bow dings are being caused by your anchor, as was true in my case, I highly recommend installing a Mantus Anchor Mate. I have had one of these since May, and it works like a charm. Anchor snugs right up into a rubber cradle, with no clatter and no gelcoat damage. I have no affiliation with this product.

Andy Ryan

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on the Scufbuster as described in this post: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23862&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=45bd6f2ec2f034ed2c141eaa4c6e0f70

Took a couple of hours and looks nice. Been on for a couple of years now with no issues.
Pandion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the Mantus Anchor Mate product looks like on my (mostly) unblemished bow:

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SS plate I put in place Jan. 16 is holding up well. (as linked above) No corrosion or rust. But it only "protects" a fairly short area.

Many of the old planked class runabouts had a "cutwater"

These are custom made and in the classics screwed in place with bedding compound such as "Dolphonite bedding compound". There is a person making them for classics--at $17 per welded inch--which means that he is using a pattern, the 18 Gauge 316 SS is cut to the patterns and then welded in the center.

There are some amateurs on some of the classic boat sites who make their own, but it seems very tricky. Ironically many of the "Cutwater boats"-have a SS plate on the bow--but I doubt it would fit a C Dory.

To employ some one who is not familiar with fabrication would probably be a mistake.

The pre-fab units are like the shield or the shorter ones which go right above and below the bow eye. which protects the bow gel coat from the trailer roller (or a hit off center from the roller bracket.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand what problem the Anchor Mate is solving.

If it was my anchor that hit the bow, I assume it happened as it swung back when coming out of the water. I probably should have brought it up slower but a badly timed wave could have swung the anchor in nonetheless. Would the Anchor Mate somehow prevent that?

I actually think the most likely cause of the damage was hitting the bow post on the trailer (man, my nautical terminology is rusty!) either when loading the boat or when trailering it. The boat valet guys tend to drive pretty fast over some real rough roads without necessarily securing everything as well as I would so the boat could have bounced a bit on the trailer.
Pandion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my boat, the Anchor Mate solves three problems:

1. If I accidentally bring the anchor up too fast, it catches it softly, with less stress on the chain, before it crashes onto the bow roller.

2. I have had my anchor hit my bow. Most likely to happen when I'm bringing it up slowly, to avoid a crash landing on the bow roller. Now I can bring it up a little faster.

3. It holds the anchor cocked in a better position for more reliable self-launching. Before I got it, my anchor has occasionally gotten hung up on the bow roller bail.

Last edited by Pandion on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I thought it might help with self launching the anchor. I typically have to either pop my head through the v berth hatch or (my new method) stick a boat hook out the front hatch and give the anchor a nudge.
Pandion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had to visit the bow for that purpose since I installed the device.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tparrent wrote:
Thanks - I thought it might help with self launching the anchor. I typically have to either pop my head through the v berth hatch or (my new method) stick a boat hook out the front hatch and give the anchor a nudge.

I had to do the anchor bump thing a few times after I changed to the Delta (which was several years before I again changed, to a Rocna recently). After studying the anchor launch process from the side a few times I decided that moving the launcher "tray" forward and changing the balance point I might not need to help the anchor as much. (Read that as i did not want to have to help it at all.) Moving the tray forward on the balancing or pivot bolt about 1.5 inches did the trick. I just drilled 2 holes, one on each side of the tray, an inch and a half aft on the tray then remounted the launcher tray with it that much farther forward. Since doing that I have never had to help the anchor of the launcher.

BTW, this also made the clearance between the hull and the tip of the Rocna a bit more comfortable.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: