colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the idea of having an antenna that has a cable connection at the antenna, rather than the ones that are hardwired to the antenna. Just to be able to remove the antenna easier, or to replace it if it gets broken. The Shakespeare QC-8 requires a special mount with the connector in that. What I like about the Morad, now that I have looked at them, is they can mount on a regular ratchet mount, with of course their M-91 adaptor. Price wise, I found a dealer where I can get the antenna for $138 and the adaptor for $32. Just a little more pricey than the Shakespeare 5225 XT regular antenna. The Shakespeare QC-8 would be about $79 and it's special ratchet mount another $50. I really don't want to lose the height of 8' above my rooftop where my antenna mounts. So if the Morad is only 4.5 feet, then there is more expense to get the extension stanchions. However, the 5225 xt has worked well for me, and it's not that hard to change out when they break. However, they can not be easily taken off and placed back on routinely. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I'm liking the idea of having an antenna that has a cable connection at the antenna, rather than the ones that are hardwired to the antenna. Just to be able to remove the antenna easier, or to replace it if it gets broken. The Shakespeare QC-8 requires a special mount with the connector in that. What I like about the Morad, now that I have looked at them, is they can mount on a regular ratchet mount, with of course their M-91 adaptor. Price wise, I found a dealer where I can get the antenna for $138 and the adaptor for $32. Just a little more pricey than the Shakespeare 5225 XT regular antenna. The Shakespeare QC-8 would be about $79 and it's special ratchet mount another $50. I really don't want to lose the height of 8' above my rooftop where my antenna mounts. So if the Morad is only 4.5 feet, then there is more expense to get the extension stanchions. However, the 5225 xt has worked well for me, and it's not that hard to change out when they break. However, they can not be easily taken off and placed back on routinely. Colby

How often do you expect the antenna to break? Mine has been on the boat for 10 years and hasn't broken yet, even when my wife used it to retrieve the boat when it was being blown away from the dock (did bend the mount though). Seems that the Shakespeare FG antenna is stronger than the SS mount.

If my antenna ever breaks, I may decide to change it out to the connector type. but I'm not about to do anything with it unless I need to (like if I hit a bridge or something).
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last 2 never broke the cable simple rotted off where it enters the antenna. I now cover all my exposed wires with tha black flexable slit conduit to protect the wire from the sun.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't want to lose the height of 8' above my rooftop where my antenna mounts. So if the Morad is only 4.5 feet,

The antenna height is a bit over hyped on small craft. Let's say that we have two boats with the antenna height at 12 feet off the water. VHF radio waves are basically line of sight. The radio horizon (due to curvature of the earth) is 5 miles for each boat--and the total range is 10 miles. Increasing one boat to 16 feet (adding 4 feet) gives that boat a radio horizon of 6 miles, and the total range is only 11 miles. You have gained one mile of range, by increasing the height of the antenna 4 feet. (There is an exception and that is "Tropospheric Ducting". I have clearly talked to US naval Vessels which were over 350 miles away at sea--via ducting.)

The more expensive 8' fiberglass antennas bay have several radiating elements: The cheapest ones, just have wire going up the lowest part of the fiberglass tube.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How often do you expect the antenna to break?

Trailering over 15,000 miles a year, it only takes one tree branch and not having the antenna's all the way down to break them... I got two, two years ago, within a month! Crying or Very sad (One of those was a tree right next to a narrow ramp, the other time stopping locally (where many times I only have the antenna's part way down) parking to eat and catching the limb as I backed up to pull out...

Quote:
You have gained one mile of range, by increasing the height of the antenna 4 feet.

Just that extra mile could make a difference! So unless the 4' antenna has sufficient increased performance over the 8 foot to work the same distance, that extra mile does matter to me.

Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Practical Sailor test of VHF antennas, Comrod, Shakespeare and Digital. Shakespeare had the best performance and wasn't the cheapest at $130 (today's prices.)

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris. Looks like the winner continues to be the Shakespear 5225 XT. I've been happy with that antenna, so think that is the one I'll stick with. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
How often do you expect the antenna to break?

Trailering over 15,000 miles a year, it only takes one tree branch and not having the antenna's all the way down to break them... I got two, two years ago, within a month! Crying or Very sad (One of those was a tree right next to a narrow ramp, the other time stopping locally (where many times I only have the antenna's part way down) parking to eat and catching the limb as I backed up to pull out...

Quote:
You have gained one mile of range, by increasing the height of the antenna 4 feet.

Just that extra mile could make a difference! So unless the 4' antenna has sufficient increased performance over the 8 foot to work the same distance, that extra mile does matter to me.

Colby

My antenneas are beteween 12 to 14 years old. The oldest is an 8ft FG Commrod. It came down with a BANG on day after about 3 hours of pounding through 3-5 foot waves on the nose. Scared the c%@p out of me at the time. The ratchet had loosened. I did a quick tie down to the roof and continued, then into calmer water, and into Lagoon Cove for fuel. Docked and assessed the damage -- none. Put it back up and it checked out ok. Still does a nearly 1:1.5 SWR.

The other 2 antennaes are both base loaded Shakeys, one on an extension, one not. All 3 are layed down and secured, (the tips tied to the roof top hand rails) before the boat is towed from the launch site, and often before the boat even goes onto the trailer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My antenna lies on the roof inside one of the roof rails. It goes up after the boat is launched and comes down before it is recovered. My antenna also carries the flag so it is fairly noticeable.

My antenna has also come down a few times because the ratchet loosens. Makes a lot of noise, but doesn't hurt anything (so far).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: