View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Espar diesel heater - genuine? Reply with quote

I'm surveying diesel heaters and wonder if the low prices I'm seeing on eBay($650 for Espar Aitronics D2 plus accessory kit) are for genuine Espar heaters or counterfeits? They are being shipped from Russia.

I've also joined the Facebook group "Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales.", so I'm investigating those as well. Obviously I'd prefer to stick with a proven brand, but for $650 am I getting the real deal?

Has anyone had experience with one of these?

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those on Ebay as well, and although they looked genuine (the pictures showed Eberspacher (Espar) boxes), I was suspicious. The Chinese-made units are especially tempting due to the low prices (some under $200 CDN). I didn't like the idea of a possible low-quality heater burning diesel on a boat so the temptation was quickly squashed. In the end I found a local semi truck parts and service outlet that sold me the real thing for $880 CDN. They also had a thru-hull fitting for the exhaust which I thought was strange for a truck parts outlet.... this bit was made in China, but seemed to be OK quality. I can get parts easily from the outlet, and they will service the Espar if I need it.

Interestingly enough, I stopped in today to get some 60mm ducting and I noticed they were now selling their own brand which was obviously made in China for $850 CDN and they called it an "Airtronic D2" stating that this meant the technology was "Airtronic".

I just finished installing the Espar recently, the heat output is impressive.
Smile

Chris

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar diesel heater - genuine? Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
I'm surveying diesel heaters and wonder if the low prices I'm seeing on eBay($650 for Espar Aitronics D2 plus accessory kit) are for genuine Espar heaters or counterfeits? They are being shipped from Russia.

I've also joined the Facebook group "Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales.", so I'm investigating those as well. Obviously I'd prefer to stick with a proven brand, but for $650 am I getting the real deal?

Has anyone had experience with one of these?

I went with a Planar 44-D I have put approx. 1,000 hours on it with ZERO problems.
I have installed 104 espar's(Eberspaecher) & 30 or so Webasto's
The espar & webasto are over engineered & expensive to repair. Look at / google Planar heaters in BC.
Wink Mr. Green
Good luck on your project.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the quality of this heater, but the form factor and installation requirements are attractive.

https://www.amazon.com/IRONWALLS-Diesel-Integrated-Machine-Trailer/dp/B07MQ8M21W/ref=pd_sbs_200_5/137-4776165-5798559?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MQ8M21W&pd_rd_r=1bb1dfcf-295d-11e9-bd20-0914fd4f7591&pd_rd_w=gswBd&pd_rd_wg=LBmZD&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=N49M4NQ92RCZ2HCT4WJ0&psc=1&refRID=N49M4NQ92RCZ2HCT4WJ0
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine a few years ago(6) and got it off ebay for $500?? or so. I had to buy a few parts to fit it to my installation needs but it has been great. I have never serviced it. Best add on to the boat we have made. I think the local shop wanted 1300 at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: