View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: propane vs butane Reply with quote

JOHN C wrote:
The problem with the solenoid idea is that if anything in the cabin using propane is used all the time, like heat or refrigeration, the solenoid is on all the time which pretty much eliminates the reason for having it in the first place.

This does not have to be the case. In our sailboat we have propane sensors in the bilge. If propane is detected, an alarm is triggered and the solenoid is shut down by the system to prevent additional propane from flowing.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where? I'd like to be able to refill mine.

At home Wink

You can buy an adapter on Amazon that connects the 1 pound canister valve to a standard 5 gallon propane tank valve. You put the empty 1# canisters in the freezer; then fill them by tipping the 5 gallon tank upside down (liquid propane flows into the 1# canister). This fills the 1#'er about 65%. Put them back in the freezer; then fill them again.

One must be careful during the 2nd filling since you can put more than a pound of propane in the canister. You get a feel for this after a while. If you do get more than a pound, you can release the extra via the pressure relief value on the 1# canister. You can also be satisfied with the 65% (a guess) fill amount with a single filling.

I have 8 to 10 of these 1# canisters I've saved over the years. I cycle thru them and fill them all every 2 years or so.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify something: butane is heavier than air, as is propane. In fact, butane is 2.08 times heavier than air.

That said, we (I sometimes make hot water for coffee) have used a single burner butane stove for years on Journey On. We keep the butane cartridges inside the cabin, haven't had a problem yet. Yes, that should drive Bob wild. The Wallis takes too long to heat water in the morn, but the butane stove is great for fast response.

We do pull the butane cylinders out when we're at home and store them in the garage. And you should buy than at an Asian food store, because they're ~$1.50.

Boris
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a propane system on my boat...I have a propane stove top and a fireplace style heater.... both work great... but it is important that the USCG approves the plumbing and all the vents....it is a pain but worth the effort in the event your boat catches fire... each device requires it's own feed line ...no T fittings ...it must have a solenoid valve for each line...it must have a manual on/off valve in each line...I had my propane lines custom made...

I also have an aluminum propane tank in my lazaret I made an extended bottom so the tank fits deep in the lazaret...I vent off the bottom of the propane locker to a overboard discharge...nice and clean...and USCG approved.

You can see pictures of my system and fiberglass lazaret bottom on my pictures page...

Joel
SEA3PO
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:

I also have an aluminum propane tank in my lazaret I made an extended bottom so the tank fits deep in the lazaret...You can see pictures of my system and fiberglass lazaret bottom on my pictures page...

Thanks Joel. That's a great idea and well-executed. More food for thought...

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We keep the butane cartridges inside the cabin, haven't had a problem yet. Yes, that should drive Bob wild.

Nah, I'm just not willing to take the chance. I experienced the first Propane explosion on the night of July 3 1947. I was 11 years old. There were only three marinas in the Los Angeles area, and this was the first Transpac after WWII. It is what is now 22'nd street landing in San Pedro. I was sleeping in the cockpit of my dad's boat, and we were on hand to watch the start of the race the next morning. About 11 PM, I awoke to an explosion--and fire at the end tie. The boat was named "Hawk" and belonged to one of the Hollywood stars. She was about 70 feet long, and rigged as a cutter--a little smaller than Windward and Patolita, but very similar. Seared on my memory was the owner's wife running down the dock, screaming, her nightgown ablaze. The Hawk burned to the waterline. I don't know if the owner's wife survived. Many years later, I was walking down the gangway to my boat in Alamitos Bay, and a power boat exploded one gangway over. The owner was on the flying bridge--and ended up in the water. He survived. There was no fire. A close friend, after a hurricane, was putting one of the cartridges into his portable stove, to heat some soup. Because the power was out--there was a candle burning in the kitchen. All of the butane came out with a rush, when he pushed the canister into the stove and the seal failed. He had about 60% body burn. I sat with his wife daily in a burn unit for over 6 weeks. He was on dialysis for renal failure--also had some pulmonary damage. But he survived and is still alive today. In my own practice I was called to treat kidney failure in two patients who had burns from propane explosions.....

Just not willing to take the chance. The solenoid valves are not 100% fail safe. One of my friends had two of the sensors (as I did--one under the stove, and one in the bilge.) His propane system developed a leak--explosion and fire--never did find out why the sensors didn't shut off the valves--but the boat was lost--they survived.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: