The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Did It With Les!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboos_boat

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Baboos Boat
Photos: (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Did It With Les! Reply with quote

I now have my name on a hull for 2004! After reading all the raves about EQ Marine I too have enlisted Les as my distributor and can say I am very, very pleased.

Although I am considering on duplicating Na Dag's boat order with the following changes, I do ask for your input on many details not decided up yet. But first the changes from Da Nag:

1. No shore power. I figure I can run an extension cord and the potential danger of shore power bothers me.

2. Twin 40's or 50's. Have not decide which to go with but am favoring the 40's. Les seems to think I would not know the difference in performance and the 40's operate superbly in the range I am most likely to be in.

Now I am looking for opinions/advice. Da Nag choose the standard height pilot house. I was considering the Tall Pilot House Option. Does anyone have any thoughts on that.

Second, I am tending toward the RayMarine package. Is there any modifications to that package or indeed the wisdom of the RayMarine over say a Garmin GPS/Plotter?

Finally, I am looking for recommendations on books or other sources to begin educating myself on marine navigation and other aspects of boating. Any suggestions?

gary
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary -

I don't have any advice to offer, but I have a big congratulations for you!! You're gonna love it!

If we ever figure out the plan for the Seattle Boat Show convention, I look forward to meeting you there!

Way to go!!

baboos_boat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ty Boo. I too am looking toward my opportunity to visit with fellow C-Doryists in Seattle. This January I will be over in New Zealand and Australia (looking for C-Dories no doubt) but in the future I will indeed be a part of the C-Brats get togethers.

Any thoughts on the Tall Pilot House?
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest thoughts? I think the tall top looks out of place on the CD22. I am 5' 10", so the standard is more than high enough for me. I reckon if I was taller it would be easier to see the advantage.
baboos_boat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo

I can appreciate your view on the taller pilot house. One of the characteristics which originally attracted me to the C-Dory is the attractiveness of the overall shape. Then, after learning more about the boat my decision was cinched. But looks are important to me and indeed I find that if it looks good then it works good!

I see from your photo album you do not have radar. Can you tell me what electronics you do have and any advice on what is needed?[/i]
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first TyBoo was a 1987 22 Cruiser. If you looked around the back of Les' shop while you were there, you might have seen it. You might also have seen the green 1996 CD25 (with the nearly flat roof) sitting at Les' shop. That's the new TyBoo. The TyBoo22 did not have radar when I got it used, and I didn't intend to put radar on it for use here in the Columbia River. The TyBoo25 does have a Furuno 1621 radar that was there when I got the boat a month or so ago. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will for sure leave it aboard and learn to use it. The chartplotter I bought this year for the TyBoo25 is a Garmin 2006C. The guy who bought the TyBoo22 (Dusty) didn't need it, because Les is installing the RayMarine system for him. Les always does whatever Dusty tells him. Anyhow, the Garmin is now installed in the TyBoo25. Got all that?

If I was buying a new boat, I am convinced that the RayMarine setup would be the system of choice. However, due to the fact that I am now completely broke, and also because the electronics I have are more than adequate for my needs, I won't be changing until I need to - many, many years from now.
baboos_boat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo

One thing is for sure, if I am not broke now I will be after I purchase all the wonderful things available!

Well. your message did it. Iam going for the Gusto. The Raymarine package it will be.

One more question TyBoo. Do you have any suggestions on books or other materials for learning navigation. I am a certified flight instructor and am quite familiar with the elements of navigation but if you gave me a marine chart I would not doubt say Uhhhhh!

Also do you have an opinon on the Honda 50's vs the 40's?

gary[/b]
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only book I see recommended by everyone who has it is Chapman Piloting and Seamanship. The link will take you to Amazon.com's listing for it. I saw one today in West Marine, but their price was about ten bucks higher. I don't have the book myself, but if one of the kids wants a Christmas suggestion, that would be it. (My wife will probably see this, but she won't get it for me. I think the new Dodge will get a bow on it, instead.)

Some time ago, Les (heard of him?) wrote an in-depth explanation of the Honda 40/50 decision for someone else on one of the old sites. It seems to me he felt the 40 was actually a better performer for the CD hull because of torque curves, max hp rpm, and the like. If it were me, I would let him choose and believe it to be the best choice. And I ain't just being nice because he has my boat, either.

I felt the same way about the marine charts. The new chartplotter makes the paper charts a lot easier to learn and understand. Kind of like having a flight instructor point things out as you move across the sheet. It helps me, anyhow. I still have a lot to learn, but at least I am understanding what it is I am looking at.

So, did you see either of the TyBoos up to Les' place, or were you blindly looking ahead to next spring?
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Gary,
I was faced with the same considerations as you. Two years ago I started my list of what options I would place on a 22'. One of the considerations then was twin 40's or twin 50's. I copied all that I could about 40 vs 50 and I decided on the 40's, because I felt that it was better suited for the vessel when seeing the torque curves and knowing the speeds that the C-Dory seems most comfortable with and the speeds that the seas tend to dictate around here. If elevation (ie: altitude) were a concern then perhaps I would have opted for the 50's. The tall cabin was a brief consideration, but the standard height is fine for my 6'0" body which will surely shrink with age. If I were taller, I'd go for the taller cabin. I don't care for the looks of the tall cabin and believe I'd have to go with a taller radar arch to manage to slip a dinghy on the roof. (However, one concern that slightly gnaws at me is that if I were to resale the vessel at some time, a tall person would probably not want the standard height). I'm impressed with what I've read and heard about the Raymarine package, initially I was going to forego the auto pilot but it really doesn't add that much more to cost and when I learned of all its' advantages I decided to go with it. Talking with Les is truly an educational experience because he is truly knowledgeable about the products available. I never felt pressured in moving towards one option over another, but he was great at educating me about what is available.
Hopefully someone who currently has twin 40's and someone with twin 50's will "chime" in here as well as those with other navigational packages. I'm new to these options too, and the above is only how I came about my decisions.
I'm excited for you and your new vessel!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, you guys!! Can't you type faster? I gotta go to bed, but I won't be able to sleep until Baboo's Boat is rigged!
baboos_boat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo

I have not been to EQ Marine. I am arranging as we write to visit in early December.

The exchange on the 40's and 50's you refer to was in response to my own inquiry. Yes, Les tells me I would not readily recognize the difference between the 40' and 50's and that the 40's will be happy in the area of rpm and speed operation I am likely to be using. My thoughts at this time is to go with Les' suggestion.

Thanks for the referral to Chapman's. I will be getting that book. I am also looking at on-line courses in basic navigation. The ones from StarPath and BoatSafe look pretty good.

Another question - do you have an opinion on what type of dinghy or otherwise emergency craft to carry? I have an Achilles 10 foot raft - is that suitable for putting up top? And what about Windlasses for the anchor?
Or anchors specifically?
gary
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
If you have any desire for a C-Brat "official" Christening, I would think that we could accomodate you when the time comes for you to take delivery on your new vessel. (There is a special thread entitled..."Christening"...just indicate there if that is of interest to you). Who knows, there could be a special Cornet Bay Gathering brewing just for you!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help about the dinghy. I don't have one, because it would take one of them Honda 40's to move it against the river current sometimes.

Again, because of the river I fish in, a windlass is a must for me. I had the S/L Horizon 600G on the 22, and never had a lick of trouble with it. A new one of the same is going on the 25. My first anchor was a cheap fluke type, one size larger than recommended for the 22' hull. The new boat came with a Bruce style anchor, and everyone tells me it will work great here in the river. If it doesn't, I will get another Danforth type for 35 bucks.

Sheesh - it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but you have to remember you are dealing with a 2 1/2 year rookie, here!

Where abouts are you located? (Sorry if you already said and I missed or forgot it.)
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for crying out loud. If I would just remember to look over to the left of your messages, I would see where you are from. You going to tow that new 22 all the way up to AK? Have you met 2nd Byte Mark up there?
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has at least 2 mentions of the mythical "torque curves" for the Honda 40 and 50 and at least one claim that someone has seen them! I've been unsuccessful for well over a year in trying to find these curves, not even Honda Marine can provide them.

I'd appreciate any source of the "torque curves!" Yeah, I know the horsepower forumulas and know the peak torque rpm on both engines, but would like to see these mythical curves. The 40 peaks at lower rpm, but has less torque.

Torque is what pushes boats (and cars).

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: