The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Heaters and Stoves
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Heaters and Stoves Reply with quote

In the Cabin, Interior Detail Pics album are photos of three different types of permanent mount heater installations.

The first series of three pictures shows a Wallas Heater/Stove installed by the C-Dory factory in the 22' Cruiser Chivita.

The next picture shows Greg's installation of the Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater on his 22' Angler, Red Fox.

Another option is the Dickinson Stove/Fireplace, as installed on the 22' Angler Stimpy.

I will look up and post some links to the three manufacturers of these units and post them in this thread soon. I also encourage the three guys who stay so warm while cruising and fishing to join in this discussion and provide some more information on the things.

More to follow...........

OK - As promised, here are the links:

Wallas Stoves and Heaters

Force 10 Heaters

Dickinson Heaters

These links will take you to the manufacturers' sites, and should go right to the appropriate page.

I'm thinking some heat would be nice. Anybody know anything about the Espar or Webasto heaters? they're a small forced air unit that a person may be able to mount outside and duct in.

B~C,

Adding the Dickinson P 9000 heater is one of the best improvements that we have ever made to the "STIMPY". I'm finding that I even fire it up when ever I'm out working on the boat. Here in the damp old Pacific NW being able to both warm up and dry out the interior is a big plus.
So far the gas consumption on the Dickinson unit seems very reasonable.
It took about 1/2 hr yesterday at +42 to warm the cabin up to + 78.
I'm in the process of mounting a 5 gallon propane cylinder tie down bracket into the "Stimpy" this AM. The way that I have set up the system we have the option of utilizing the disposable ( but expensive) Coleman cylinders or hooking up the hose and attaching to either our 1 gallon, 5 gallon and / or 10 gallon propane cylinders.
The unit functions very well and we really enjoy the fireplace effect in the evenings before we fall asleep.So far we have had no exhaust problems and it is easy to operate.
Regards , Doug on "STIMPY"

Stimpy,s Dad, how much clearance do you need to mainain around that heater? could a person mount it the cabinet under the stove (with some vents installed)ya think?

Doug,
I refill my 1 lb. propane cylinders using this fitting.

It costs about $15 but saves carrying a big tank on board. The key is to stick the empty cylinders in the freezer for a few hours before refilling and then refilling with the bigger tank upside down. It takes about one minute to fill each one. I keep 2 or 3 full ones on board and refill several at a time.

I couldn't find these in Lowe's or Menards because I think it is probably illegal to "refill" these small bottles. Anyway, there are always several for sale on eBAY and you can find them by searching "propane refill".

Larry

B~C ,
I suggest that you go to the Dickinson site and e-mail them your question , they will very promptly get all the answers that you may need to make a decision.
Regards, Doug

C-B Techs- I saw a Wallas 1300 heater installed in a CD-22 Cruiser just behind the Origo alcohol stove in a picture on one of these two sites two days ago, but can't find it now. The 1300 is a box that looks like a portaable radio in size and serves only as a heater, and not as a cooking stove. Anyone remember where the photo is stored? Joe

Here is a link and a pic of the Wallas 1300 but I can't find the pic you are talking about. Maybe it was on C-Dogs.
Here is the link:
http://www.wallas.fi/WALLAS2E.HTM#wallas%201300\

Oops, I'm out of space to post pics...

Lyle-Thanks for the link. I guess it might have been on the C-Dog site. It was a great fit behind the Origo. I actually like the Dickinson Propane Fireplace the best, but think it would be a tough fit in a Cruiser with a full cooking stove. It also requires a 2 1/2 ft or longer exhaust tube for the draft tpo work right. I've got a 3 burner Wedgewood propane cooktop already, so I've got the propane for the fireplace, but the fit and interference with other uses will be considerable. Most of these heaters actually function best to warm the cabin if they're mounted near the floor where they can pick up and move the coldest air in the boat. Flue requirements complicate the picture.

The Cruiser's interior space is already very divided up and dedicated out of necessity. The best location would be to somehow put it under the helm seat in the volume occupied by the factory ice box, but flue requiements, the size of the unit, and insulation considerations would make it a real feat to install such a unit. I'll get busy with the tape measure the next time im at my boat up in the Delta. Thanks! Joe.

Joe, if you are thinking of me I'm Ray on Sea Lion. Lyle is the VERY nice gentelman that owns Hunky Dory and is anxiously awaiting his new 16' Cruiser, Scorpio. I wouldn't want ya down grading him .

Ray-Sorry for the confusion! Next time I'll double check the identity to be sure. Sometimes it gets confusing with everyone having a "Handle", a boat name., and a real name. Joe.

No worries Joe, I hope the link I posted helped. I'm all out of room to post pics but if you look at the link it has a pic and some info about the unit.
Lyle, (Freightliner) is one of the nicest guys I know.
Good luck,
Ray on the wrenches on Sea Lion
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to decide what kind of heater we're going to purchase for our 22' Angler. I recently learned about the Webasto Air Top 2000 diesel heater and was wondering if anyone has any comments about this model. The price for the complete kit seems to be around 1700 dollars online. This seems to be a ridiculous amount of money for a heater, but if it works better than Mr. Wallas, then I might consider it.
Jon
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallas, Espar, Toyoset and Webasto all make a forced air heaters. I been pondering the heating situation for a while now and am not anxious to fork over the large quanity of cash required for the forced air heat (it would be real nice to have some actual defroster action and heat piped into the V berth). All of the mentioned heaters cost about $1,800. Lately I'm leaning towards the single burner Wallas for about $900...or..an extra pair of long undies.....good luck in your quest for heat
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I know what you mean about shelling out that kind of money. My initial goal was to install a Wallas 800 single burner with a blower, but my spousal unit likes the cabin 75 deg. and balmy. The single unit doesn't get to that comfort zone on a cold morning but works good enough to get the chill out of the air. I spent some time on Fred's former boat, Little Buddy, so I got a pretty good idea how that 800 heats up the Angler.
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

The AirTop 2000 is a good unit and it will heat up the boat quite nicely. As in all things; it's a trade-off. The nice thing about the Wallas is the easy installation and the twofer situation; that is, you get both a cooking surface and a heater. This makes particular sense on a new boat but otherwise there are some questions to be asked. For those that already have an alcohol stove and like it, it's just about as cheap (or expensive!) to install a Webasto as it is a Wallas; same holds true on your Angler even without the cooker but the Wallas would hold an advantage in that situation if you were also after cooking capability.

One advantage of the Webasto is that it's a forced air system and with a little ingenuity it's a good way to get defrost capability for the front windows (I suppose side windows too if you're industrious). Another nice thing about the Webasto is that it's thermostatically controlled; just set the thermostat on the wall (like at home) for the temp you like and that's it. If it gets colder during the night it'll still hold the temp unlike the Wallas which will need a little tweaking.

The downside is that it's a forced-air system...(yeah I know, it was an advantage before!). Like all forced air systems it blows really hot air until the temp comes up and then stops (cold); the temperature has to drop and then the cycle repeats...there's never a constant temp (my house is the same way!). And, you need to run ducting which in itself is a bit of a pain buts it may be worth it since you can locate the vents where they're most needed (including for the defrost situation).

I'm not as familiar with the Toyo and Wallas forced air systems; I'd stay away from the Esp*r version. I haven't tried to fit a Wallas forced air system and its 'box' looks like it might be a bit awkward but it's hard to tell until you've got one in your hands. The Webasto is like a little muffler and will fit in lots of small spaces.

www.marinautboats.com
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts Les and your right about the Wallas having the advantage over just a heater if you're wanting to cook too. I'm sure the two burner Wallas would be more than enough heat for the Angler, but the only concern I had was the clearance behind the seat (It would fit but would be very tight, could be unsafe if it's to close to the seat or bulkhead?) I don't know how much clearance you need on these units, but I think I could squeeze an inch on either side of the unit between the seat and bulkhead. I could always install some kind of fireproof material on the back of my seat and part of the bulkhead to make it safe. Or, I could stretch my cabin another 8 inches, or, NO I'm Not going to buy a new cruiser, I'm Not going to buy a new cruiser. Cynthia, are you listening!
Jon
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon I know you have thought of this but how about build up the area behind your seat and mount the two burner port and starboard not for and aft. I would think that this would give you more clearance.
I would love to see that manly radar on a new cruiser.
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I'm going to go out on a limb just a bit...I don't think you'll have trouble with the tight clearances with the unit heating; I can put my hand on the lid even when the thing is cranked up. Might be a little different if you're cooking then I think maybe some (perhaps removable) stainless panels wouldn't be a bad idea to protect things in the event of a flare-up (you know, when you flambe stuff!). Shocked
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, Les, thanks for the idea's. On my dayoff Friday, I'll get the scale out and do a layout of the area per the dimensions of the stove. Les, I like the idea of a 3 sided stainless firewall, something small but will contain the unit.

And Fred, you got a deal, I'll take that Big Mama off tomorrow and install it on Anita Marie. Smile
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just got back from the boat show picked up a catolag from Boat Electric Co. Inc. on heaters for boats they have a small forced air heater that looked great for small boats runs on diesel uses 12 volts or 24 volts 7500 btus a very nice unit and very compact about a foot long 5 inches wide and 5 inches high and weighs only 6 pounds battery draw is the same or maby less then a Wallas . There called Espar Heaters looked very nice and very simple.
Richard
Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toyo stove/heater similar to the Wallas (about $1200 including optional side vent and blower). I would recommend it - the only problem I have had is trying to start it in the cold (below freezing) with a low battery. It will flood in this circumstance. Otherwise it is a great unit.

Should anyone go that direction, I will be happy to describe how to properly install it with the side vent. Just a little trick you will need to know (if your dealer doesn't) so it won't take you a couple of days to figure out.
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips for heaters in our little 16' Angler? I've looked at these you have been talking about but they are tooooo big Cry . I've been on the fogged in thread about fans too and I'm wondering if there is a small heater/fan combo that can be mounted between the wiper motors defogging and heating all at the same time? Confused
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denebola- Interesting problem.

There is a small electric 12vDC Heater Fan Combo Manufactured by RoadPro available from Boat U.S. for the nominal cost of $26.99 (2003 price). It can be permanently mounted on it's swivel base on your shelf between the helm and the windshield. It looks at first like an ideal solution. (Item # 754011)

It plugs into the cigarette lighter/accessory socket, and draws 13 amps, and 13 amps at 12 volts yields 156 watts, which it enough to defrost your windshield (one side at least), or warm your cold hands. However, 156 watts will not do much to heat your cabin.

The CD-22 Cruiser needs about 2500-6000 btus/hr to warm a closed cabin, or about 750-1600 watts, depending on the outside temperature. By comparison, the CD-16 has about 40% of the cabin space of the CD-22, so the equivalent range (40% of 750-1600) would be 300-640 watts, or 1000-2400btu's/hr. This assumes the boat designs are very similar, and the cabin volume is a cube function of the hull length, proportionately. It also assumes the CD-16 has the same rear cabin seal of a CD-22. If the rear is unsealed or not nearly as well sealed with canvas, much more heat will be needed.

So the little heater would be a nice feature, but depending on how much heat you want, it may be a little bit or a lot wanting. There probably are larger 12 volt electric heaters available, but hold on for a minute.

Most 40-50 HP outboards have only a 10-15 amp alternator. You'd have to run your motor a lot to keep your battery charged. Running it continuously while the heater was on would just about break even, but I remember Les Lampman cautioning that the alternators in most of these these engines are designed for moderate battery recharging, not for heavy duty electrical output for lots of appliances and recharging multiple discharged batteries at the same time ( I'm saying this to illustrate that they shouldn't be charging at their full rate all the time). So a really big electric heater might be a really big bad idea.

Some people use a small portable cannister powered catalytic propane heater (such as a Coleman or a Mr. Buddy) a to warm the cabin of their boats, but to do so, they must be sure a window or two is cracked open, and be very aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and also (hopefully) install a carbon monoxide alarm. Cost-wise this is a very attractive solution. Somewhere in the archives, I wrote a detailed discussion of these safety issues, and I believe anyone installing a heater should be aware of them.

The other problem associated with an unvented heater is the accumulation of the water vapor produced by the combustion and condensing on the inside of windows. This a second reason is why the more sophisticated, marine designed and approved ones are all vented to the outside.

I installed Force 10 propane heater inside my CD-22 Cruiser between the sink and the 3 burner Wedgewood cooking stove that I previously installed in my galley as a substitute for the original 2 burner Origo alcohol stove. It has an external vent, is designed to operate at 3000-6000 btu's, and can actually be throttled down to about 2000. It's about 16 1/2 " high, 8" wide, and 7" deep, but also requires some clearance and/or shielding around it. Pictures are in the Cabins and Interior Photos section. Installation details are in the captions below the photos. I really don't know if you have the room for this option. I do not know of any smaller heaters, unfortunately.

Let's see what other CD-16 owners have done!! Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post has been deleted by author.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf
Good information, thanks. Heat in the cabin is on my wish list. Unclerichie posted a note about the Espar Heater. I found it with a google search. It looks pretty good, should fit under the counter, vented to the outside and you can run duct to the windshield area. I have not been able to find the cost, but $1200 for the Wallas is out of my reach right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: