hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, There is light fog and there is dense fog and then there is fog in the dark. All affect our ability to see what is around us. Fog is defined by the Canadian version of NOAA as visibility decreased to 1 mile or less. For me, anything less than a half mile is foggy enough to have the fog horn on, and the windows open to listen and I won't be hearing any bow wave because my speed will be under 4 knots. (I didn't mention the radar or AIS because they are always on if the boat is moving.) My crew, (ME) is intent on watching the water and listening to the sounds. The Auto pilot relieves me of having to keep a steady watch on the compass, and allows me to keep that steady watch on what is directly in front of my boat. On one occasion, I came to within 50 feet (2 boat lengths)of the first of 20 kayaks in a pod, in fog where 50 foot visibility was good vis. I had seen the blips on the radar (set at 1/2 mile) and knew something was there (?) and I was going full speed slow. On the hailer, I heard voices between the fog horn. At 5 knots and watching the compass, I hate to think what could have happened.

Now back to the regular programming. My pump for the AP is under the sink on the aft bulkhead. I do hear it occasionally, more so at really slow speeds, under 3 knots, and when there are wave conditions.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Harvey....I’ve been caught in the fog a few times. The radar and AIS give me great comfort but it can be hard to hold course with all the crab pots to dodge. The autopilot should be a help....I think it will keep my head out of the boat more.

Tom

Last December I got caught in the fog. It was bad and I didn't realize how hard steering is when you don't have a focal point. Autopilot and radar made live much much nicer. It was worth the investment for the peace of mind it gave me in that moment alone.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Tom, you tickled my fancy and I thought maybe I'd just go window shop for that same A/P, you know, maybe just drool over my laptop for a while and see if I could find a way to justify doing the change out.

Saved by the big red letters that stated THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY SOLD OUT.
Mr. Green Still just a little too rich for my blood at the current new price. So guess I'll just wait to hear about how much you are liking yours... Laughing

Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby
I’ll keep everyone informed. These come up from time to time. I saw a similar price on one a year ago but did not have the spare cash. Sold the airplane a few weeks ago and had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and so it goes. I wonder if some other brat bought it? I’ll start posting photos in a few days. Went to the boat show in St. Petersburg yesterday and found some other neat ideas for the C-Otter. Today I’ll start on the pump mount.

Later....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started the autopilot installation. Only hydraulic system work and calibration need to be done. I did not have a good spot in the dash for the GHC 20 so I used Jody's idea and made a bracket that works with a ram mount. My reactor 40 CCU is mounted higher than I would like and I may have to move it. Where Jody's was I store tools and the spare prop. Made my test compass spin. So I am on hold till January when the shop has time to do the hydraulic work.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2917&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Link to photos....I will add more latter

Thanks Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Tom. I'm watching. And thinking seriously again about changing out my RayMarine sooner than later. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in my old RayMarine system if I pull it out? It's the RayMarine EV-100 system. New it was $1600. I'd probably try to get somewhere between $800-$1000 for it. Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans have changed. The fellow that was going to do the rest of the installation says he can’t get me in till February 20th. I’m not that patient so I’ll finish it myself as soon as I get the parts together. He did say that I could use his bleeding unit. Can’t be any harder than the amphibious seaplanes I rigged in the past.

I plan on putting T fittings on the back of the helm and running from there to the pump. I’ll also need to run a new return line from the helm to the pump. What I’m still not sure of is if I can put the shadow drive on one of the lines to the pump. It looks like that is the way it was done on Jodys boat.

Please let me know and thanks again. I’ll post more photos as I make progress.......Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be that hard Tom. I installed my own without any issues. Bleeding isn't bad either. I may have had Rosanne help me. I just placed a small hose over the bleeding valves on the outboard rams and drained the fluid into a jar, rather than making a mess back in the splash well. Just turn the steering wheel and open up a bleeder on the opposite side of the turn. Not much different than bleeding brake lines. I also used the cheaper aviation brake fluid, but still within specs as an alternate fluid. I don't know about the shadow drive, as RayMarine doesn't use one. I'm sure your directions will show where everything needs to go. I forget where I ran my return line, but there may be pictures in a nested album on Midnight Flyer. Good luck with your install. I'm betting you'll do fine! Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bleed mine by myself pics in my album. The shadow drive sensor needs to be mounted horizontal.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby said the Raymarine doesn't use/have a shadow drive. I have Raymarine and know nothing about shadow drive. I am working with friends who are researching Auto Pilot system on a 25 that has Garmin GPS and VHF.

What does the Shadow drive do, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having it or not? Please.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody....I’ll bleed mine at home like you did. Good job. The shadow drive must be placed horizontal as you stated. What I was wondered was is the shadow drive on the line that you ran from your helm to the pump? My pump lines need to be 8’ long. If I use seastar lines they come in pairs. I’d like to buy a pair of 8’ for one direction and the return line. Then use the pair of 4’ lines with the shadow drive in the middle for the other direction.

Harvey....Garmin says that the shadow drive is a Garmin exclusive. What I understand is on most autopilots one has to use a switch to disengage or “fight” the autopilot to make a quick turn. For example when you suddenly notice a crab pot right in front of the boat. With shadow drive you just turn the wheel. After your done with your maneuver the autopilot puts you back on course.

There’s a lot of options that Garmin offers in autopilots, some without shadow drive, some with standard pumps. I figured that this will be my last boat.....I like it that much. May as well spend a few more bucks and get exactly what I want.

Colby....Thanks for the confidence!
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Jody....I’ll bleed mine at home like you did. Good job. The shadow drive must be placed horizontal as you stated. What I was wondered was is the shadow drive on the line that you ran from your helm to the pump? My pump lines need to be 8’ long. If I use seastar lines they come in pairs. I’d like to buy a pair of 8’ for one direction and the return line. Then use the pair of 4’ lines with the shadow drive in the middle for the other direction.

That should work just fine. In the manual there is a list of about 10 items that they want you to follow for placement. Horizontal, higher than the pump and lower than the helm and so on.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us all know how it goes Tom. I made the call today and will have a package under my Christmas Tree. Very Happy If your not completely satisfied with your install, I can always return mine when I go in to pick it up. (Several numbers working to my advantage this weekend...)

It may take me a month or two before I get things changed out, but if anyone is interested in a used RayMarine EV-100 autopilot system, let me know. I may try to auction it off on Ebay, but if someone wanted to offer me $800, it'll be a complete system, except for perhaps the hydraulic lines. FWIW, I was not happy with this system for my use, but it would likely work well in calm water, no wind, or on a smaller hydraulic ram system. (It has the .5 hydraulic pump. I think recommended max ram size is 6 cu in. (My ram is 8.4, so it just doesn't put out enough to work in conditions that need faster steerage response.) Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to have to be careful when Roseanne comes down to Hontoon ... she mite want to take it out of my hide! I’ll get back on the installation on Monday. All the parts are in the hanger waiting for me to get back from my trip with Water Bill on the Mystery Girl.

I landed up ordering SeaStar hose and fittings. I was out with Bill today and was able to operate his Garmin Autopilot. I was impressed with its handling.

Merry Christmas 🎁🎄 Ho Ho Ho

Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m going to have to be careful when Roseanne comes down to Hontoon ... she mite want to take it out of my hide!

Uh huh! Mr. Green Well I guess we are sort of even. But I don't see Joyce peddling her own Hobie Kayak yet. Razz

Nah, I've gone back and forth over this issue for the past year. You just kind of helped me make the decision. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: