View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Garmin Reactor Autopilot w/Smart Pump Reply with quote

I’m looking to add an autopilot on my CD-25 with a Yamaha 200. I have all Garmin electronics so am looking at the Garmin GHP 20 Reactor 40 Hydraulic Autopilot Corepack W/Smartpump. May install everything but the hydraulic connections myself. Too many times redoing things that are done at the shop. What I am wondering is where others with this system have located the SmartPump? Photo? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, Thanks for starting this thread. I have friend who just got a 25 with Garmin suite, and no AP so they are looking at available options. I cant help them much as I have all Raymarine but will be watching here and following the discussion.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pump is under my helm seat and the course computer is under the v birth. Pictures in my album under upgrades.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 22, but my pump and computer are under the helm seat. Smart move going with the Garmin auto pilot. I went cheap with the RayMarine, and it doesn't communicate well with my Garmin electronics, nor does it do a great job tracking when trolling, or in choppy water. I've even thought a few times about pulling the Ray Marine out and replacing it with the Garmin. But even many of the Garmin units say they are not intended for slow speed. I think it has a lot to do with how fast and how far they can throw your outboard into a turn at the slow trolling speeds. I think Joyce will appreciate being able to have someone else drive the boat for you while trolling! Very Happy Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody...I looked through your album. Lots of help with the autopilot and other great ideas. Thanks

Colby.....I've talked with Water Bill and he's very happy with the slow speed performance of his Garmin reactor with the Smart Pump on his Ranger 23. I've checked with Garmin and they say the Smart Pump is the only way to go for trolling. Joyce likes driving the boat but there are times that I need help netting lake trout! 😇

Tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Jody...I looked through your album. Lots of help with the autopilot and other great ideas. Thanks

Colby.....I've talked with Water Bill and he's very happy with the slow speed performance of his Garmin reactor with the Smart Pump on his Ranger 23. I've checked with Garmin and they say the Smart Pump is the only way to go for trolling. Joyce likes driving the boat but there are times that I need help netting lake trout! 😇

Tom

Tom, take heart, Joyce is going to learn to love Charlie (the guy in the little box with all the wires), that drives when you let him.

Worth the investment in sanity, especially if you do any fog transiting.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey....I’ve been caught in the fog a few times. The radar and AIS give me great comfort but it can be hard to hold course with all the crab pots to dodge. The autopilot should be a help....I think it will keep my head out of the boat more.
I “bit the bullet” this morning and ordered a reconditioned unit. Actually, everything is new other than the smart pump.The warranty is only year but I saved a bunch. Of course if it goes out the second year.....I mite be thinking different.

They have one more reconditioned unit at Max Marine Electronics in Pompano Beach, FL Phone 754-220-6565 if anyone is interested...out of state no sales tax. I was close so he gave me a little better price than on the web site. (Shipping)

Product Quantity Price
Garmin GHP 20 Reactor 40 Hydraulic Autopilot Corepack W/Smartpump Factory Reman 1 $3,499.99
Subtotal: $3,499.99
Discount: -$270.00
FL Sales Tax: $193.80
Payment method: Credit Card
Total: $3,423.79

A new one is $4,099

Can’t wait to start the project. I’ll probably take it up to Marine Metals in Williston Florida for the hydraulic work.

Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby.....I've talked with Water Bill and he's very happy with the slow speed performance of his Garmin reactor with the Smart Pump on his Ranger 23. I've checked with Garmin and they say the Smart Pump is the only way to go for trolling. Joyce likes driving the boat but there are times that I need help netting lake trout!

Hey Tom, good to know about the Smart Pump. If I had the cash laying around, I'd jump on that other system now. But for now, the Ray Marine is borderline acceptable. If I hang with Bill and Becky on the Inside Passage this coming spring/summer, I may have a different priority for replacing my A/P when I get back. Or I may decide to change it out right after Hontoon. Just a lot of money to put down on something that I'm not really using all that often now. Once you get your's up and going, and have used it some, I'll have to hear your reviews. Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new autopilot should be arriving today. I don’t have room under my helm seat for the smart pump unless I want to remove my drawers. So it looks like I’ll have to locate it under the galley cabinet. I found a photo of one in that area but could not see a hydraulic return line that returns to the helm. Humm?

Anyone know of a good source of marine hydraulic fittings and tubing? I want to add shut offs to the system so if the pump ever needs service it can be removed without disabling the steering.

The project grows.......Thanks Tom
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine I took my hoses to a local hose shop and was told that they can't get the fitting and are made special for Sea Star. I ended up replacing my hoses and bleeding the system. The hoses are sold in pairs. I used a coupler in one side so I didn't have to another pair of hoses. With the pump in the cabinets I can't hear any noises from it. You can just buy longer hoses and run them from the helm back to the cabinet I didn't want to double up the hoses. You are going to have to bleed the system there is no way around it.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my local True Value Hardware store to find some 45 degree elbow fittings, where I was connecting the lines at the back of the helm. I think any good hardware store would have fittings that work. If I remember, the additional hydraulic lines that came with my system had pressed fittings on one end, but the other end just involved the ferrets and nutcaps. I know for smaller hydraulic lines on my little tractor, there is a implement store in my area that can make those lines. (Most only have the larger hydraulic lines.) But I imagine if you check around, you can find some automotive or farm store that can make the smaller hydraulic lines. Otherwise, perhaps Garmin can supply additional length hydraulic lines. Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody and Colby
I talked with my “boat guy “ Troy from Marine Metals in Williston Florida. I’m going to do most everything other than the hydraulics and he will have his crew do that. They do about anything on a boat other than motors. He has always done great work for me at a fair price. It’s a couple other shops that were less than competent.

So I ran the wire today for the Smart Pump and am starting to work on a mount for the pump. I hope mine is half as good as yours Jody. I’m also going to make a mount for the helm control rather than drill a hole for it. I’ll take photos when I get that far.

Thanks for the help and encouragement....Tom
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not commented since my pilot is a RayMarine--and perhaps the pump is slightly smaller. However it does fit nicely on the inboard end of the bulkhead under the helm on the inside of the V Bert. Then the return line is only a few inches long..

I have had NAPA make up some hydraulic hoses for me--there is one in the waterfront area of Pensacola --most agricultural areas have NAPA or other shops which can make up any of these lines.

SeaStar/Teleflex also has adaptors and fittings available--as well as auto pilot installment kits. They would be more likely to have that than Garmin--I believe.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom (AvidMagnum): Congrats on the new unit. I have a question though. You mentioned that, "running the AP in fog should help with your course steering". I'm paraphrasing there...But I would never consider running my AP in fog (and I also have radar, AP and a AIS transceiver). Can you elaborate on that?

I was caught in thick fog last year AT NIGHT in my boat and visibility was probably 0-15 feet at BEST). I hand steered for 3 miles to get back to my port. I had a lookout forward and our best SOG was like 5 knots. Most of the time we were doing like 1 or 2 knots. AWESOME LEARNING experience!!! There's nothing like hearing fog horns from other traffic and you never actually see them. Radar saved my bacon. AP???

Here's the thread that I posted last year after my emergency fog situation. Sorry if I'm derailing the thread Tom. I hope you like your new AP! It's always a great feeling getting new electronics installed!

https://www.thehulltruth.com/northeast/882406-finally-happened-me-fog-night.html

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I do not think it will fit in that location. It would be a nice short run. Garmin says it’s 7 3/4 x 7 1/2 x 9 5/8 inches. It was supposed to come yesterday but UPS says today now. When it arrives I look to see for sure.

Hi Jason
I’ve read your account. Definitely not a fun situation. It seems like sometime in our boating life the limits will be pushed no mater how well we prepare. I’ve had a couple “a ha” moments with my C-Dory. Once when the bilge pump was syphoning water into the cockpit because the outlet was underwater and last year on Lake Superior with 4 foot followings seas that were closely spaced.

I chose the Garmin Reactor w SmartPump because it’s supposed to hold heading at slow speeds. This is important to me as most of my fishing is slow trolling. There is light fog and there is Dense FOG at night with lots of conditions in between. When I’ve been caught in the fog I travel at hull speed or slower. My crew and I maintain a careful watch. The radar and AIS on the chart plotter are used to stay away from other craft and other hazards. I have never had a marine autopilot before but I feel it can take away some of the workload. Coupled to the Chart Plotter with a programmed route it’s one less thing to consider. If one sees a hazard they can turn away using the wheel and then allow the autopilot to get you back on course. I’ll let you know more after I use it😇.

I’ve used autopilots in aircraft in IFR conditions . Anything that reduces your workload under stress is a good thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: