View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Fell Marine, Man Overboard Device Update Reply with quote

Fell Marine Man Overboard Device

Here is the link to the device info:

https://buy.fellmarine.com/mob-xfob-multi.html

Since most of the time, on my boat, I am single handing, I have been looking at this device for several years now, and have decided I need to do it. I remember that someone on the site a while back said they were using it.

Here is the link to a previous thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26840&highlight=mob+fell+marine

I’m curious how real world experience has been with it? Any flaws, or anything that should be done differently? Does it light up? Flash? Or Beep? When it shuts down the engine? Are there any interference issues, VHF, LEDs or Bluetooth issues?

INSTALATION ON A 16, “OPA”

Also, I am really curious about where it was mounted on the boat. My “dash” at the helm is pretty full, and with twin engines, I will need relative proximity to the throttle handles and start/key controls. Would it need to be mounted higher up that just on the "dash"?

Are there any other C-BRATS who are using this device currently or have in the past? It seems like a very reasonable approach to a possibly very dangerous situation.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Fell marine MOB+ technology. (Answers a bunch of questions.)

https://www.fellmarine.com/technology/

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at them when the older post appeared and I had a few questions. OPA posts his experience:

snip>I've submerged the FOB for about 10 seconds, and the motor stops. I can restart the motor almost immediately<

That's kind of what concerned me. Cruising at hull speed (6 knots), the boat will shut down when 60 feet away and probably drift for another 60 before you can possibly get to it. At 20 knots, it will shut down 680 feet away and drift another 500 (assuming no wind). Either way, you've got a swim ahead of you. Just saying.

If you have somebody aboard that is paying attention, just when they get to the helm and start to circle back, the engine will quit. That should add to the excitement. I had assumed that turning the key off will allow a quick restart, but it sounds like there is an additional delay. More excitement.

It looks like the old-fashioned kill switch tether is still the winner. No batteries or reception issues. But like the old-fashioned PFD that doesn't pop open when wet, the tether has to be worn for that increased safety. In practice, if you untether yourself in order to venture into the cockpit, that will remind you that you should be stopped and at least in neutral.

Now I'm going to have that dream again tonight.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered this from West Marine with the Black Friday... er... Thursday deal.
Coupon code: save15 for 15% off the base unit today only, and the extra fobs and accessories are 50% off til 11/26.

Will update after I've installed and used it a while.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a FELL for three seasons, and the device works exactly as designed and advertised. Instead of a physical tether, you have a FOB wired into the boats kill switch which shuts the boat off if you A) fall overboard; B) walk away from your boat; C) don't want the boat started (deterring theft).

The installation is an easy DIY: you install the link and antennae into your dash or anywhere else you choose, and wire the receiver/antennae (MOB) into your kill switch. The manufacturer provides great instructions. When you turn your master switch on, the MOB receiver fires up with an audible beep. You simply press on the FOB on your wrist and you are connected to the MOB.

I like the fact that the motor can't be started without the link (for obvious reasons). How do I know the motor will shut down the boat if I fall over? I tied the FOB to the line on a rod and cast it into the lake. Guess what? It worked; motor quit.
You can start the motor after about 10 seconds and re-linking by pushing on the FOB on your wrist. When I pull into the boarding float after fishing for a few hours, I can leave the motor running to cool down, and walk to get my truck. When I get about 75 ft away from the boat, the motor quits.

I have an older model, so my unit will only allow for one FOB to be active at a time. Current models allow for multiple FOB's to be active.

Cost is around $230 for one wrist FOB and one MOB.

I recommend this device to all who fish alone or need additional safety on board.

D

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s another product that will shut your boat down and you can use it on multiple boats. Simple install.....

https://autotether.com/product/autotether-marine/

Any thoughts?

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
dgeorges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey:

I would think that the MOB could easily be installed on the right side of the helm seat next to the throttle linkage on your CD22.

The MOB only functions to link to the FOB and the antennae extends about 6 out from the back of the MOB. Anywhere near the throttle, either facing up or horizontally would work. Unlike the CD 16 helm which was cramped, I think there will be plenty of locations on my new to me CD22 to install the MOB.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will find a place, somewhere. It is a bit crowded down there, and I think it should be up someplace visible.

JMacLeod, thank you for the tip. I will try WM.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My practice has been to put the boat in neutral or stop it if I'm going to go up on deck. I always think of falling in and watching the boat motor away from me. Reading through their manual if you fall in the motor stops and in 6 seconds the unit goes into bypass mode so some could restart the motor. On my boat there probably isn't going to be anyone to do that. So I'm going to have to swim back to the boat or drowned. I ordered one off of Amazon for 15% off. Seems like a small price to pay for a little more safety. I'm not afraid of another gadget.

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered on from West marine last night on the Thanksgiving Day sale. Thankful that I found that Laughing (with some help) and I will have a spare FOB for any (1) company.

I have extremely rarely gone up on the fore-deck, and only when stopped, but I am guilty of stepping into the cockpit with the motor(s) running for a quick photo. Yup, the boat would go away if I went overboard, but my Auto inflate PFD would blow up, and I would have my handheld VHF, of course that would only be any good IF there was another boat anywhere around.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dgeorges

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the Portland, OR West Marine store today, VHF radio browsing and saw they had the MOB+ device and accessories there, so I got to have one in hand. The "Hub" is bigger than I expected. Finding room is going to be challenging but it is going to go up there somewhere.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
dgeorges

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. You just made a major safety upgrade.

Keeping in mind that you will need to hook up the MOB to your throttle assembly kill switch, how about installing the MOB/antannae on the right side of your helm seat with the MOB facing UP?

You will need to connect the FOB to the MOB anyway every time you turn the engine on (by pressing your FOB), so the operations will be a smooth transition. Running the ground and power line will be simple to your power source under the helm.

Good luck
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and I am not at the boat but I am looking at mounting along the starboard wall, just below the window, or vertically at the post above the dash. It will go in there. I may have to do a cardboard mockup for some trial and error first.

I will have 2 fobs, one for me and one for a ride along.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in: Bracket built and mounted on the starboard wall, just closer than the helm bulkhead, and below the window, with a shield over the top to protect from bumps and water (though I did find that the hub is IP67 waterproof), and it is easy to see and close to reach but not really in the way. I had a separate power switch installed so that the MOB+ power is switched, but that allows me to have the battery switch (Both, 1,2,Off) on for house power at anchor, without having the power drain (minimal) until I want the MOB+ to be active, then it gets switched on and then the OB's get started, so it adds one extra switch to the start up sequence, but also allows to be at anchor with music or VHF on and not have the parasitic draw for the MOB+.

I have been scrambling with the boat projects that had to be parted out due to losing the electronics tech that I had scheduled to do several projects. I had some electronics work scheduled at Rodgers Marine in Portland, then they called and put me off until mid-May, so I scheduled with Thor, but when he was sent to Alaska I started parting out the jobs, called a local place and then started piecing it all together, some of it here , some there. I got home from Portland late last night and just got the last one finished -- at Rodgers Marine Electronics. The MOB+ is in, and works. Should have done this one a long time ago. Total cost maybe $400-$500. I think my life is worth that -- at least to me. Nice to have that all finished and operational as about 98% of my boating is single handed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: