View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: atlantic ICW cruise Reply with quote

Greetings from the Atlantic ICW!

We are meandering north along the ICW after trailering to and launching at JAX NAS from Pensacola. This was a shakedown for the new Ford F250 truck, which exceeded our expectations with less noise, less vibration, better visibility, and a feeling of more solid control, all of which contributes to less driver fatigue at end of day. Highly recommended.

Our plans change daily, and the most dangerous thing on a cruise is a schedule. Explored Savannah today, to Beaufort tomorrow. In addition to the usual, we must visit the Kazoo Museum and factory (includes a kazoo for you). Yeah we’re quirky, so if you know of some other unique Americana stuff like that you recommend, sing out.

Next stop Charleston; we were stationed there for 5 years in the 80’s, and it is a Charleston tradition that any significant change to anything should take at least 200 years, so we anticipate that not that much has changed, but we’ll have several days to make sure.

Next night McClellanville Leland Oil Docks to see the 1,000 year old Deer Head live oak tree and eat at TW Graham Seafood restaurant (you’ll see the staff shucking shrimp in the back). Best seafood on the coast, other than what we prepare. Hurricane Hugo (large cat 4) came ashore near here in 1989, and we never thought Mother Nature could heal the absolutely devastating tree damage in our lifetimes, but she has already.
Next night Georgetown, then end up at Reserve Marina on the Wadmalaw river (a low-country version of the St John river, C-Otter crew would love it). My brother lives close by. Eileen and I will Enterprise back to JAX, retrieve and return the rig, pull out at Waca Weche ramp and trailer back home.
Logistics notes if you want to do this:
A TC255 can’t launch in any deep puddle like most C-Dorys, but tides are 6-9 feet so you could plan for high.
Next closest to NAS is Dee Dee Bartels public ramp Fernandina Beach, but no secure rig storage. Fern marina was wrecked by Michael and though the web site advises a summer 2019 re-opening, we were watching the dredging repairs on a Sat and say MAYBE summer 2020 at best.
You could negotiate with Amelia Island Marina (nice!) for rig storage and launch at the public ramp a few miles away.
Golden Isles Morningstar Marina off St Simon has rig storage ($20 per Ivan) and public ramp (use high tide) in walking distance. We passed this one and it looked good with binoculars.
Sing out with any recommendations since we may not cruise this area again (only because there is so much more of the continent to explore!).

John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Looks like you are off on a great journey. Enjoy and stay safe. Take your time, since you have some now, and enjoy the "Not so Hurried" style for while.

Can't help much with the interesting places there. It's all foreign to me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: