HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Smoking on a C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Smoking on a C-Dory Reply with quote

I do not smoke and I do not allow smoking on my boat. This sometimes poses a problem as addicted smokers find it difficult to spend several hours without having a cigarette.

Smokers sometimes offer to smoke outside the cabin to minimize the second-hand smoke affects. However, there is another problem that I point out: A lit cigarette is 1,112 degees F, and, if dropped, will permanently scar the gel coat where it makes impact. Here is a link regarding temperature of a lit cigarette:

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae1.cfm

Another problem is littering. There are those smokers who think nothing of flicking their butts overboard when done smoking Angry.

This subject is not meant to offend anyone, but I would like to know how other C-Dory owners handlle the smoking issue on their boats.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!

From a personal (exsmoker) point of view, I wouldn't allow it either.

But, from a commercial point of view, I would have a briefing for smokers with clear rules, instructions and consequences of violations. Before departure.

Outside, downwind only, when no non-smokers are present, with a personal butt can. Enforced.

Scaley
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a dealer and service center owner, I simply will not tolerate my technicians smoking in, on, or around the boats. They can go smoke in they're car on the way to the unemployment office... Nor will I let a customer smoke in a boat he hasn't bought yet. That boat might just belong to you someday!

The boat is your property, just as your house is. I wouldn't presume to smoke in your house... why would your boat be different? Not to mention some boats have carpet.(burns at a lower temp than gelcoat!)

OK... jumping down from my soapbox now... Smile

EDIT: Some of my best friends are smokers, and I would never think of taking a fishing trip without them. I just won't smoke in their boat.

Last edited by Rabidfish on Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a poll? I only allow smoking aft of the the Jenny B swim step.

Don
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This subject is not meant to offend anyone, but I would like to know how other C-Dory owners handlle the smoking issue on their boats.

I exercise courtesy and respect when I smoke. Not just on my boat, but anywhere. It is surprisingly rare still to find those with no tolerance, and I generally avoid those folks anyway because of all the other things they may not like about me. If smoking while underway, I have the window next to me open and the installed fan blowing outward through it. If anchored or docked, it is done in the cockpit or away from the boat. Haven't burned anything yet.

I never smoke inside my house because I choose not to, and smoke only in designated areas at work. My employer would probably prefer that no one smokes at work, but it is still legal and this is still America so they don't send me off to the employment office.

The respect I exercise extends also to the environment. I make sure not only of my own stewardship, but ensure that any passengers who may smoke have safe and easy ways to do so without offending nature or any person.

And absolutely no offense was taken, so thank you for bringing up this perennially timely subject.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Every time Donna lights up, we catch a fish! Heck, it even works for her while hunting deer! So, smoking is fine on our boat. When we finally settle down, probably in WA, we'll tie up next to you and you guys can have at it. lol Although I don't smoke, once in a while I'll light up one of grandpa's pipes. The one thing we absolutely do not allow on our boat is talking about work while fishing! Very Happy

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy a GOOD cigar once in a while. I try to be considerate of those around me. I only smoke outside and try to stay downwind.
Terry Cigar

MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife smokes in the cockpit (when she is not trying to quit) and our only rules are:

1) Not next to the fuel vent and
2) Put you butts and ashes in a beer can.

Since we drink different brands, there is no chance of me mistaking her ash tray for my beer. Disgust

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Hug Female Hug Dog Cat Very Happy Beer Cigar Cool Razz
The above are the reasons I have a boat.
Friendships.
Family.
Enjoying the finer things of life and each other.
Another reason I love a C-Dory.. is you can just spray down most parts..and the people, animals, and/or objects in and or around them.

I never new how hot a cigarette burned, but was well aware of how one can ID your location at night...which is not always a good thing...particuarly if everyone in an eye shot is not your friend and may point other more harmful devices at you or those around you...

I had never thought about the dealership prespective, but thank those who do take care of "not sold" boats as best they can...from everything.. Did you see the pics of Scaleys TomCat with Les working on it??? Cardboard everywhere. That is good business.

My father use to be terrible about putting cigaretts on the counter, sometimes more than one burning at a time...and often burning what ever counter top it/they were sitting on. I hated that...but sure do wish I had him with me today to put a burn or two on FreeByrd.

I simply have to weigh the total price of a good friend...weather it be male, female, dog, cat, or some other animal... and the joy and laughter they bring me and we share, against the cost of hanging around them. Most things they break or damage, I can replace.

Have you attempted to replaced a lost friend/father lately?? Can't be done on this earth. And, if they are a true friend, they will respect you and your "STUFF" as George Carlin would put it.... and take care of it....and sometimes even take care of you....

Man, I miss my Dad....and listening to Mom raise 7 kinds of hell at him for the mess he made with his cigaretts... Often, he'd just grin...tilt his head a bit, attempt to correct the difficency if possible... and raise a toast! Beer

Yes, I prefer it be done out back, but I am not going to loose a good friend over it. And I am capable or much more damage than the cigarette... Life is just that way.

Go burn one if ya got it...go bum one if ya need it, and drink a toast to friendships and lost shipmates! Beer Beer Cigar
Byrdman
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yes.... I do think it would make a good pole.... We could keep track of which vessels we do not need to carry our humidors, baggies, or packs on. Well, I do not have packs. Mr. Green
Byrdman
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Byrdman -- we may not like the smoking or results from a burning cigarette, but we still love the smoker. Having smoked as a kid, we know how hard it is to quit. With proper respect to boat, others and environment, a smoker (or nonsmoker) is always welcome aboard Halcyon.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here in Washington they just passed a no smoking law that makes it illegal to smoke with-in 25 feet of any entrance to any public building. Be interesting to see how this is enforced. Cops will have to have another holster on their belt for a tape measure.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smoking issue has never presented itself on our boat but I recon smoking out back would be fine. Folks should be respectfull of your boat and use caution but at the same time be able to enjoy the trip........sheesh, as David mentioned, we have new laws here in WA (and coming to a state near you) that ban smoking just about anywhere, including public parks. I'm guilty of being a chew fiend, if I ever catch hell for my habit in my P.C. charged work enviroment, I'm going to play the Sweed race card
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny Ken... took me a while to quit laughing!
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is so full of sinful pleasures. I have to many to count. Yes you can smoke on the boat unless I'm planning to sleep on it that night or If my kids are in the boat. My experience has been that smokers are very respectful of others and do it outside with out asking. Life is to short to get worked up about stuff like this. I'm glad most posts have a degree of understanding and acceptance. This reflects favorably on this site and its members.

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: