The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island, Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlthinspector

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Hontoon Island Reply with quote

I don't have a C-Dory yet, but have been following this site for a long time. I'm planning on doing a bicycle tour from Jacksonville to Fort Pierce doing this time frame and would love to stop by and meet the group. I hope to purchase a C-Dory 22 ft within the next year and this would be a great opportunity to get things rolling.
Thanks, Dave
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave this would be a perfect opportunity to stop by and see the C-Dory's. Not just a 22, but usually there are some 16's, 23's, 25's, 26's and Tom Cats. Lots of various modifications, and a lot of experienced skippers to ping questions off of. And Hontoon is a great park too take a jaunt around also. Colby
jeannemaddux@gmail.com

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Calm C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Hontoon island Reply with quote

Jeanne and I will be there aboard CALM C. We are looking forward to it!

Jack and Jeanne

hlthinspector

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Thanks for the info. I'm adjusting my route and should arrive on the 4th.
Dave
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Hontoon State Park also has some camper cabins you might be interested in. I don't know how full they are this time of year, but might be a nice respite from the bike touring for a few days. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Dave, Hontoon State Park also has some camper cabins you might be interested in. I don't know how full they are this time of year, but might be a nice respite from the bike touring for a few days. Colby
. The campsites are also available or there will probably be some C brats willing to let you sleep in their cockpit--us included.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Z50

City/Region: Alachua
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Beach Donkey
Photos: Beach Donkey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be taking delivery of my new 26 venture in 3 week, waiting on the motor and its on backorder. unfortunately I have to work that week, but could come down that weekend if people are still around.
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z50,
Congrads on your new 26!
It's pretty much certain that some Brats will be around the weekends before and after March 5-7, including us. Many are coming from all over the country. Tom and Joyce will somehow make it all work out, as they always do.

There is no better place to learn about your new boat than on the slow moving, laid-back, gentle lower St. John river, a good bit with a 6MPH speed limit to protect the manatees.

Hope you can take off more than just a weekend with a fab boat like that.

Whatever electronics you choose, get detailed cartography for the area (for us Garmin snobs, it's G2 Southeast Inland Rivers, about $160 for the 2011 version without Vision upgrade).

Launch at Ed Stone Park, though it's steep and deep for a newbie, you can most likely power off when the rear trailer wheel fender is about awash or 1-2 inches underwater there. If you want help standing by, PM (private msg) us or email me at johnhighsmith9@gmail.com

If you are new to boating and want a more experienced skipper on board with you to dock at Hontoon, I'm sure the group can help with that too, though as long as you approach slowly, there will always be a gaggle at the dock to help you avoid any dings.

Again, congrads on a great boat! You're going to love it!

See ya there!
John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are new to boating and want a more experienced skipper on board with you to dock at Hontoon, I'm sure the group can help with that too, though as long as you approach slowly, there will always be a gaggle at the dock to help you avoid any dings.

While I still consider myself a newbie to the C-Brat group, and this will be my 4th year in attendance at this gathering, I've been wanting to address this topic.

While I know everyone has the best of intentions, I think sometimes it's possible to "over help". Something I've learned from my own experience on both ends of this, (not just with boating, but flying and driving as well) is it doesn't help to have several folks hollering directions. And sometimes it's best to not say anything until something needs to be said. Same goes for helping someone to back the trailer. Some suggestions.

Only one person on the dock should be providing guidance. It's very confusing to have several giving guidance at the same time...

If guidance doesn't appear to be needed (ie the captain is doing ok bringing her in) keep calm and wait for the captain's request to take lines.

If guidance is needed, remain calm and provide what's necessary. But speak loud and clear to be heard.

Giving that guidance can actually be harder than driving the boat. (I learned that from my late wife, while backing/positioning a motorhome and boat trailer. She could guide me in very well. I on the other hand got confused trying to guide her dad in with a pickup camper...)

Now for the skipper. SLOW and UNDER CONTROL is the key! If you're not comfortable backing in, pick a dock with no other boat in the slip.

Bow in and talk it over with others. (Just remember, at Hontoon, anchors and bow pulpits are not allowed to hang over the dock. This will just about include anything 22' and longer.)

Ask for guidance from the "dock foreman".

Or just pull up as close as you can to the slips, hand over lines and let the dock help pull you in.

There is very little current at Hontoon to be concerned with at the docks. However, wind and tight space can be slightly challenging. Especially on the far starboard side of the lagoon as you enter.

Be sure to be set up before approaching the dock. Lines ready, fenders out, boat hook at the ready if you have one.

Ok, I know very basic stuff. But it's always good to be reminded once in a while. I'm still learning from those that have been at this longer than me. And hope I can pass along stuff I know.

Colby
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be there. I didn't want to commit until I was sure we all could get out off work and school, but it looks good! We're planning to come down the Saturday before and leave the following Saturday. Hopefully explore some blue springs and catch some of those humungous black crappie I hooked into there before. Looking forward to it.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z50...you’re going to love your new 26. Curious what your going to power it with. As Golfcostjohn said there are always a few C-Brats there on the weekend before and some stay after. I’ll be leading a group up toward Jacksonville departing Friday March 8th. I don’t know how much experience you have but if I can be any help send me a PM.

Colby....good advice. We have not had any “dings” in any of our boats at Hontoon. Backing in with a boat in the slip next to you can be a challenge. It’s nice to have helpers to be able to act as fenders.😇

Paul.... good to have you back on the St. John’s....the 🐟 are waiting for you.

Hontoon Update. The finger piers are slowly having new decking installed. Should be completed before our gathering. I have my fingers crossed!

It can get fairly cold here in Florida and also plenty hot in March. Plan accordingly. Mosquitoes can be a problem but usually not.

We will use channel 72 on the river and for docking at Hontoon. During the gathering we usually have someone monitor that channel.

I’ll be on the St. John’s for a couple of days next week....can’t resist!

Please be sure you are signed up on the event signup and Jotform link.

https://form.jotform.com/60634279765163

We need to know what supplies to purchase...Thanks

Can’t wait to see everyone.....more soon.....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Z50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting a Suzuki 200 on the back. This is not my first boat, I've had several throughout. I have been the captain on multiple bare bone charters to, BVI, Abacos and most recent Belize. I currently have a CC bay boat, but love the cruising style. May I ask why this event is during the middle of the week? I would think the weekend would accomidate more people. I am super excited about this boat. I was thinking on putting in at Palatka or Salt Springs and make the run down.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 200 is a great choice for a 26. As for holding the gathering during the week, there were not enough slips on the weekend with other boaters staying there. With the problems that caused we took a vote and moved it to midweek. Many arrive early and stay late. Some take vacation and many are retired. I plan on being around Hontoon the weekend before. Hope the boats done by then so we can meet you.
Tom
Z50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, I figured there was a good exclamation. I'm 46 and have a six year old, so school and work get in the way. lol
Fontanacdory

City/Region: Bryson City
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ms Jill
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Keys trip Reply with quote

I was planning after Hontoon Island going on a little trip to Florida Keys by launching at Flamingo in the Everglades National Park. Going across Florida bay through the back country where their are many islands and small channels with lots of wildlife. I’m very familiar with this area because I grewup in the Keys. I’m undetermined how far I’m going but very flexible if anyone wants to head out with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: