The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island, Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlthinspector

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Hontoon Island CBGT Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome. I arrived as a boatless C-Dory enthusiast and left feeling like I was a part of the family. Tom and Joyce did a terrific job organizing the event. I was able to hitch a ride with Mike (Ms Jill) on a circumnavigation cruise of Hontoon Island - very interesting and a lot of fun! Pat (19 ft model) and Rick (22 ft model) were also very gracious in taking me out for test rides. I was able to check out pretty much all the C-Dory models from the 16 to the TomCat. Thanks to everyone that gave me a tour of their boat. I met with Dr. Bob and he provided me with an extensive tour of his 25 footer. As a result of what seemed like a couple hours of picking his brain, my search will now include the 25. I hope to see you all again sometime soon on my own C-Dory.
Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came off the River today---After a wonderful post gathering cruise with several boats--the last several days were with Mystery Girl and Sea Otter. Tom and Joyce are such wonderful people to cruise with!!!!. They even tried to wash down our "waterline" as we got the boat out of the water.......

We made about 35 miles from Salt Springs, and hauled out about 11 AM-on the road a little after noon. Stopped for the night at an RV park at about. 4 PM.

Cannot wait until next year. So many wonderful friends to renew friendships, and new ones.

Thanks again, Tom and Joyce. Photos to follow when we get home.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
. Photos to follow when we get home.

And itinerary.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, all my photos are uploaded, including the last few personal shots of our time in Pensacola on the way home. Got most of Midnight Flyers cabin cleaned up today, and will finish cleaning her up the rest of this week. I can't say enough to encourage others to attend the St. John's C-Brat gathering. It's not just the official gathering itself, but all the cruising afterwards. And the history of and along the St. John's River is fascinating. Always looking forward to the next St. John's gathering. Until next year, safe travels and fair seas! Colby
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on my calendar for 2020. Hopefully for a month. Feb. was way to cold in Mt. this year. Lew
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During one of the gathering seminars, we had some discussion on trailer tires. The subject came up about speed ratings, and I believe someone brought up 81mph on a LR E tire. Well..... I was just looking at my Carlisle Radial Trail HD's ST205/75R14, LR C, and see 81 mph stamped on the sidewall! And no, I'm not recommending that speed. I do stand by my Carlisle's however, with averaging 15,000-16,000 miles annually the last two years, and at least 10,000 annually prior. The pressures are set at 50psi cold, and while I don't have a wireless monitor on them, I do a walk around every time I stop (anywhere from an hour or two, rarely longer than that) and before starting out. And I rarely tow over 65mph, and any more than that would be for a very short time. (Passing, etc.)

Gulfcoastjohn

C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
My chronic whining was about zero availability of US made LR E ST trailer tires prior to the introduction of the Goodyear Endurance Load Range E in Jan 2017.
Load range D and C (yours) and under in high speed ratings was and is and always has been easily available, but not LR E and F for any US-made ST trailer tire at that time.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html

I’m on record here (and at Tom’s off the cuff ‘trailer tire woes’ comments at Hontoon) that my whinings were in regard to ONLY those Brats towing heavy loads, which I arbitrarily and loosely define as 8,000 pounds and over (some 25’s and 26’s and TC24’s and virtually all TC 255’s) with a scale ticket to prove it.
In other words, tire companies that made low-load ST trailer tires did not make LR E ST tires.

I’m glad you’ve had great results with your Carlisle tires. I last bought 5 for the trailer from my tire expert (with a 22 year relationship) in 2010. At 18 months of very light duty, while towing the empty trailer 100 miles, it developed a hopping severe enough to break off both PVC guide pipes and send them skittering across I-10. Dealer found ALL FIVE TIRES (just under a Boat Unit) DELAMINATING and not under warranty.
I have avoided that brand since then, even though it was only a Boat Unit.

Glad your experience is very different.
Tom was very upfront in standing corrected that now Carlisle is making ST tires in the US (LR was not specified) according to another crew. I’m not current in research since buying 5 GY Endurance LR E ST trailer tires (over a Boat Unit) 18 months ago.

I must admit that I am very gratified that you pay any attention at all to what I whine about.

Thanks for using your antenna checker Tricorder device at Hontoon to discern that my VHF antennas were actually hooked up to something (the fridge?). The sausage has been complaining to the cheese lately about using channel 16 to exchange fishing lies, rather than using a ‘working channel.’

Happy trailer tire stories!
John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John. And I wasn't even thinking about your whining. lol. Just that someone said the LR E were stamped 81mph, and even I didn't think that C's and D's were rated for that speed... FWIW, I'm not putting down LR E at all. When I had a car hauler, I ran E's on it. I can understand one's want for US made tires, but I personally don't care where a tire is made, just that it holds up. Carlisle's have been good to me. Whereas I did not have good luck with the Goodyear Marathons that came on the trailer. (But to their defense, they were several years old, and I don't think the guy I bought the boat/trailer from, trailered very far.) BTW, I just bought two new LR D tires (Carlisle, Trail HD ST 205/75R14) from Amazon for $67/each. I just bought two LR C tires last year and installed on the front axle. These I just ordered will be to replace the back axle after this season, but since I'm hauling out to Price Rupert, I wanted to have additional spares just in case. If all goes well, I'll install them at the end of this season. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this story in the news. We boated right past the NAS on our after cruise this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/04/us/jacksonville-plane-skids-into-river/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29
thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep--not a good landing. Rain, wet runway, maybe a pilot not familiar with field, coming in hot (looking at the video--bouncing swerving etc?) What say you Pilot Colby? Suspect the plane is gong to be a loss--with a degree of salt water at that part of St. John's river, and sitting there until TSB examines the wreck--note that the nose cone is missing.????
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not looked at the video, but the possibility of windshear came to my mind as I read the article. 9000 foot should be plenty of distance to stop a 737. But things mechanically can also go wrong. We had a 757 go off the end of the runway at JAC (Jackson Hole Wyoming) a number of years ago. I knew the captain of that airplane, flying with him many times in the past, including into JAC. He was experienced and familiar with that field. Being a high elevation and short runway (many times slick the last third from frost) you used maximum braking and reverse thrust to stop. In his event, a squat switch did not work until it was too late, making the airplane think it was still airborne, therefore no braking and no reverse thrust. It's possible something like this could have happened at JAX (NAS Jacksonville), yet with a hard landing, I'm pretty sure the squat switch was "squatted"! lol. I hate to morning quarterback these things, as too many variables that could have happened. But windshear can be dangerous, and if you are depending only on braking (without reverse thrust which isn't always available) hydroplaning could be an issue.

As for hull loss, yeah, with the salt water and all, it's probably going to be salvaged for scrap. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more information coming out.

https://news.yahoo.com/passenger-problem-ac-plane-crashed-river-150206035.html

The runway change may or may not have been a good idea in after thought. However, with one thrust reverser inop, you would have asymetrical thrust if you used reverse on the one engine, and again braking could have been affected by hydroplaning. (However most runways are grooved to lessen that problem.) The amount of runway is getting shorter with that arresting cable in place, and might even have caused some problems if the pilots landed on it, but there still should have been enough length on a normal day for that airplane to get stopped.

Must not have been a good day for flying in Jacksonville, as the story finishes with a quick blurb about a private pilot landing in the River as well... Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention Hontoon C-Brats!

Next year at Hontoon there will be a area with a pay washer and dryer. These will be available to anyone camping in the campground or marina. The Park manager and volunteer organization asked for finances to help fund this much needed project. Your donations from the last gathering of over $1200.00 has been turned over to the park toward this.

There are always needs at Hontoon Island. I received some great suggestions from other C-Brats and passed them along to Rene the manager for future consideration. I’ll post photos after completion.

C-Brats are some of the most GENEROUS folks.

Thanks to all from Rene and the rest of the staff at Hontoon Island State Park.

See you all in 2020 on the St. John’s River and God Bless.

Tom and Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like once again, the donation will go to a good use that benefits us as well. As usual, looking forward to next year. Giving some consideration to coming down a month early to volunteer, but we'll see how things pan out before then. Colby
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Joyce,

The washer and dryer will be a much needed addition for Hontoon Island State Park. It will be great for those that stay for more than a few days or are on the road for multiple days before they arrive. Thanks to all the C-Brats that make these upgrades to the Park possible. I hope to see everyone next year.

Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: