The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island, Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use channel 72 at the Hontoon dock. The docks are short ....no anchors over docks.....most back in. We usually have dock helpers.

Lots of manatee in the river. Maintain a careful watch and respect the speed zones. This is their home.

Those like me that are launching at Ed Stone please park in the grassy oversized area near the road. We’ve been treated well here and want to maintain the good will. Weekends can be busy.

We bring everything from shorts to stocking caps. (Thanks Pat!)

Drive safe...be safe....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Larkin

City/Region: Brownwood
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeking info on the Hontoon Island Gathering. Never Been. Don't own a C-Dory, but trying to decide on one.
Could y'all elaborate on what goes on. When. Where would you stay if you don't have a boat (seems all cabins on island are reserved already).
Would you miss a lot in the evenings since you would have to take the ferry off the island before dark?

Any information would be helpful especially from the standpoint of not having a boat there.

Thanks,

Larkin
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to come to the gathering. There are many places of lodging in Deland. On Tuesday we have registrations and visit, dinner with burgers and hotdogs with a dish to pass. Wednesday starts with discussions about boat systems. Some attendees go cruising. Chicken for dinner, with again a dish to pass. We have a silent auction of donated Marine items to raise money for the park. Nature hikes, Campfire every night with lively talk and song. There will be a late ferry for those not staying on the island so you don’t need to miss a thing. There are already some C-Dory’s there with more arriving every day.

If you’re thinking of getting a C-Dory be sure to make the Gathering! There will be at least a couple of boats there that are for sale. You can look at most of the different sizes and we have some boats from other manufacturers at Hontoon.

If you need more information send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk.

You’ll also get to know some of the nicest people in the world....C-Brats!

.....Tom
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkin a gathering is the best way to get information on the C Dory. You will be welcome to visit aboard most of the boats--at least one from every size should be there. The owners can give your real life experience. Very good chance at getting a ride on one. We like to "dinghy cruise" in our inflatable, with the electric Torqueedo outboard motor. There is fantastic birding right at the Island.

Hontoon Landing Resort & Marina. 2317 River Ridge Road DeLand FL 32720. Is right across the river from the park--folks will have dinghies in the water to take you there. (There is a canal between the resort and ferry to the marina--but if you want to take a walk. ). You can PM several of us, who would come and pick you up in the dinghy. Sent me a PM for my message #. Tom is a great resource and the guy who knows the area. There are close to a dozen resorts or motels in the Deland area. Drive your vehicle to the ferry landing where there is parking.

Due to overtime by "super woman", Marie, it looks as if we will be underway some time tomorrow AM.

Colby (and all those from the Frozen North) drive carefully!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby (and all those from the Frozen North) drive carefully!

Thanks Bob. Got to Mattoon this evening, with no more moisture here in the immediate forecast, so we are out of the ice and snow now anyway! Excited to get to the St. Johns and see everyone. Did come up with an interesting electrical problem on the trailer today, but not a big deal, something that I'll have to figure out at home. I push on the brakes, and along with the trailer brake lights, I'm also getting my trailer back up lights and the trucks aftermarket back up camera (wired into the backup light circuit.) All was fine before I left the house, so I'm assuming somewhere the trailer's brake light and back up light circuits got shorted. I may cut the trailer back up light wires if it becomes more of a problem. But I don't plan on needing the trailer back up lights for this trip... Colby
Larkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. It's a long haul for me, but I am trying to see if I can make it work out. Hope to be able to attend.
Larkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. It's a long haul for me, but I am trying to see if I can make it work out. Hope to be able to attend.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather forecast still is saying it will be cold Tuesday and Wednesday and I must admit I wavered a bit but I have decided to tough it out and come. I know that for most of you this weather is nothing, but not for me as I live in Punta Gorda, Florida where it hasn't gone below 40 at night since we have lived here.

So, I know there is a pre cruise up to the north. Anyone thinking about going south after the official get together? I am interested in going just a few miles south and anchoring at the oxbow just before Blue Springs Thursday night. Anyone know how that is. Looking for a nice quiet spot to check out the wildlife and maybe wet a line.

North would also be ok, but I don't want to go far as I want to pull out early Friday morning and head back home.

David
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good places to anchor both North and South. We can point out some close ones. Just grab a winter coat and get here. 10 boats already. Great trip to De Leon Springs yesterday.

Tom
Fla Beachbum

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: Fla Beachbum
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Hooton State Park 6th annual get together Reply with quote

Great time today, next time I will take the C-Dory. Thank you I can't post the pictures ......[/img]
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Hontoon Reply with quote

Greetings from the St John River Hontoon Gathering, Tom says 23 boats here!
Cold front ends today (but kept the bugs down), back to 83 degrees Sat.
Lots of wildlife, birding and Old Florida charm. Easy boating (esp with twin weed-whackers).
Every evening hundreds of majestic bald eagles soar in to roost in the trees. Or maybe they are turkey vultures, I can't tell the difference. The marina alligator gets bigger every year and likes dogs. Best cruising is at 6MPH or less, which is what the "Slow speed, minimum wake" signs mean.
If you're not here, plan on next year, it's a hoot!

John

DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank Tom and Joyce for putting on a great get together. This was my first time and it was great.

Some of you who attended my talk on solar power weren't able to get my handout (I ran out of printer paper), so here is a link to the Trawlerforum library section where you can download it: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

In this library section it is titled "Solar Panels for Your Boat". In the same section there are two other articles that I wrote: "Sizing a Large Solar Panel System" which talks about the use of a battery monitor to understand your DC loads and "Designing and Installing a Large Solar Panel System" which goes into the mechanics of the installation.

The latter two articles are appropriate for a heavy DC user. Most of you can just install one or two 100 watt panels which should cover your needs.

One thing I learned in the Q&A afterwards is that Victron now has a line of inexpensive MPPT controllers with or without a bluetooth interface. A single 100 watt panel can be installed with their 15A controller which costs about $88 without bluetooth. You will need their 20A unit for two 100 watt panels which is about $157 with bluetooth.

Victron's new products and competitive pricing with PWM controllers makes it worth considering a MPPT controller even for small systems.

David
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on solar charging. Previously, I had found information online on "how" to setup a solar charging system, but your talk really filled in some missing pieces for me on "why" setting it up one way might be a better fit for me then another. You did a terrific job and it was a pleasure meeting you.

A big thank you to Tom & Joyce for another great Hontoon CBGT. We appreciate all that you do. And we have to extend that to include all of the C Brats for making it great!

Safe travels till we meet again,
Jim & Jeanine

hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Just a quick thank you for your warm welcome and participation in the memorial for Hank.

The Houseboat Harlots had a wonderful time and of course none of it could happen without the hard work and organization of Tom and Joyce.

We look forward to future gatherings and hope to see you at Camp Clow during the summer months.....hopefully, the snow will have melted by July.

Pat and Kathy
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fourth trek to this gathering, Rosanne's third, and just as great as usual. Thanks Tom and Joyce for putting on a great one. And as always enjoyed socializing with old friends and meeting a few new friends. Currently in Silver Glen Springs with 11 other boats, led by Tom & Joyce, on our way to Jacksonville. John, those were Vultures. lol. (However, there are plenty of Eagles around the area!) But yes, that Hontoon Alligator is getting bigger! And I think everyone that came with a small dog(s) left with them intact...Mr. Green Colby & Rosanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: