The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

set up for fishing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taran

City/Region: Des Moines
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dory
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: set up for fishing? Reply with quote

Hi,
We just got our 22 foot '06 Cruiser, and need some advice on how to set up for fishing. We put a 3 rod holder under the starboard window, but need to find a good spot for a large salmon net and rod holders. Where would be the best place for downriggers? Has anyone put a rodholder back by the battery wells? Any suggestions appreciated!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Fishing set up Reply with quote

Hi Tarran,

What kind of rod holders are you planning on using. If Scotty's or Fish On, you can plaster them just about anywhere you want. If using flush mounts, then you're limited to the gunnels. There are some new flush mounts (Folbe??) that I have seen that appear to be superior to most others of that type.

My favorites are the Scotty rod holders (both styles-power lock and striker), and I will often use an extension to get them up off the gunnel. We also have a couple of rocket launcher type holders on the radar arch for keeping rods out of the way. I guess I should try to see if the net would be secure in one of those.

I typically through the net up on the cabin top when fishing, but you need to remember it's there before you put a lot of power back on. It can get expensive if the net doesn't float.

Hope this helps,

Steve
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this picture you can see the downrigger plate on the starboard side just forward of the fuel cap. Also, on the transome bar I have 3 scotty rod holder mounts and two more on the side of the gunnels.

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up Spencer.
Tarran, I also went with flush mounts (four) but use them as a means to:1.locate a second rod on either side
2. place to put my net
3. place to drop in my swivel mounts for downriggers,BBQ, crab pulley or shrimp puller.
I have a transom bar where I have mounted my two primary Scotty rod holders and a four rod rack mounted below the window opposite the cabin door (since I do not have rocket launchers overhead). When not in use, I store the net hoop under the V birth cushion. Also, with this set up my gunnels are clean which I find a bit more friendly when cruising. With many good ways to go, the only real key thing is to decide what your final set up is going to be prior to touching any tools.

Save our Sound!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Fish Bag Reply with quote

Spencer,

Where did you order/find the insulated fish bag? I would like to put one on my boat.

Steve
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer, while your at it, oh please do tell where one can get those cup/mug holders. They look marine grade.
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the canyon bag online. I don't remember the exact retialer but they sale for about $125. I put snaps in the handles and also added a snap to the transome wall to snap it to. The bag is 20" x 60" model # CANTKC1 found here http://www.alltackle.com/canyon_fish_bags.htm

The cup holders were from Cabelas but I have since removed them. The clamp was weak and wouldn't grab the rail very well. I have since used a hole saw in the gunnel shelf and put some flush mounted cup holders.
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No salmon around here, but I have the 2 factory flush mounts, and added 4 Scotty mounts verticle inside the gunnels, 2 on each side.
Been thinking about doing what I did on my fishing pontoon. I took several pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum stock (3' to 6' long) drilled and tapped them to accept 3/8" threaded Driftmaster rod holders, then mounted the bars. I Crappie fish on the toon...got bases for 27 rod holders onboard!
Scotty also has a "tree" that mounts to one base, and spreads out to hold 3 rod holders. I have one of these on my fishing kayak. I use 2 spots for rods, and one for my GPS.

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
kaiserwe

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Miss Lee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Transom bars Reply with quote

Question for the skippers of Playin Hooky and Capital Sea,-- Where did you acquire or how'd you fabricate the transom bars. They look like provide some great options.
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transom bars Reply with quote

kaiserwe wrote:
Question for the skippers of Playin Hooky and Capital Sea,-- Where did you acquire or how'd you fabricate the transom bars. They look like provide some great options.

They are a factory option. Check with a local dealer to see if it's something they can order for you. I do like the bar there for it's many uses.
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I requested one from Searay in Fife and they did not have them. After installing one on my boat they had 10 or so fabbed up (so they told me). So they should have one in stock. It should be an easy instalation.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put my transom bar up for sale. Look in the boating accessories forum. Also, you can also contact the factory in Auburn if you want to buy new.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Taran

City/Region: Des Moines
Vessel Name: Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: fishing setup Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions, and the pictures really helped. Can't wait to buy more toys for the boat! Now for the crabpots....
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a less expensive smaller fish bag check out the Silver Horde KatchKooler that Outdoor Emporium sells. They go on sale quite often for under $15 (normally about $20) and work VERY well. I have 1 and use it all the time for fish. Great bags!

I would highly recommend the FOLBE rod holders. They have similar mounts to the Scotty but they are by far the best rod holders around IMHO. FOLBE also makes a very nice net holder. In my experience the net handle often won't fit (I use a Frabil Knotless) in the slip in rod holders like in the picture as the handle is too big.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the cheapest possible alternative to a fish bag, I use a burlap coffee bag. Practically free in Seattle if you ask around. Soak them out, put the bled fish in it (will hold a big fish), and toss it in the splash well. The wet burlap keeps them cold and it doesn't let additional blood through. I toss them in the washing machine when my wife isn't looking.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: