The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone Own A 22 or 19 On The East Coast? (On the Chesapeake?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Kline

City/Region: Norfolk
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone Own A 22 or 19 On The East Coast? (On the Chesapeake? Reply with quote

I am not an owner yet, but I am considering a 19 and a 22. I once owned a 30' Osprey. It was a bad choice for me since I boat on the Chesapeake Bay where there is steep, short chop. The Osprey was designed for long, rolling swells. Does anyone have experience with the C-Dory in these conditions? Does the boat beat you up?
cpt vic

City/Region: northeast river/chesapeake
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C~Pearl
Photos: C~Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 'll be getting a chance to find out for sure next spring. i had a sea trial on a rough day and you just have to slow down seemed to go along pretty well . we will be changing from a deep v hull so the whole planing thing will be different. i would think that the largest model you could afford would be the best, the 25 is heavier but more money we're going with a 22 if you check out posts on this site is seems 22 go everywhere. get to a dealer and do a test run . good luck

Cpt.Vic & The Skipper
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what you want to do -- if you're the wave slammajamma go-fast type, probably best to look elsewhere. If you can operate in the 12-16 knot range and jocky the throttle accordingly, then the C-Dory is fine. From what I've seen in the short Gulf chop we get, the deep-V go-fast types recognize the weather is turning, and typically crank up and run like the dickens for shore, passing me like I'm stuck in molasses. Then, a few miles in, I pass them, wherever it is that their wives, buddies, or spine said, "NO MORE POUNDING!" and they slowed down to a crawl. The usual drill for me is to bypass them all in the channel and cruise across the flats until I'm around all of them and then cut back in. Done it numerous times. The only ones that seem immune to it all are the deep v cigarette boats that occasionally race in, but even they aren't immune to the traffic jams once in the channels.

If it gets to bad, I can always throw out the anchor and make a pot of coffee, fire up the tv, or listen to Rush.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Kline,

Almost said Ted Kline, but that's a different story. Yep, the C-Dory will beat you up in a short chop just like any other boat -- but I've spent years boating in your area, and the 22 CD should work fine there. Gotta slow down, period. Mr. Flagold is absolutely 100% right. I'll routinely beat the deep-V's home when it gets really nasty... my Orca was a deep V, and son Les would go by me in his 22 C-Dory with a big grin on his face. I personally can't tell a lot of difference between the 22 and 25 as far as handling a head-sea chop -- many skippers here in the pub know the 25 much better. Some boat in your area too and will give you more... we're a friendly group and happy to help.

Dusty

Smuttynose

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Snap Out Of It
Photos: Snap Out Of It
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Handling the Conditions Reply with quote

Have been on boats up and down the Eastern seaboard all my life (60yrs) either on my parents boats or mine. Pembroke, ChrisCraft, Luhrs for them and Whaler(s), Grady White and AquaSport for me with a range of 18' to 34' All I can say is the obvious, every boat handle different seas differently. This spring I purchased a 22 from Cutter and they gave me a sea trial on the Chesapeake, so I could test whether an 8 inch chop demo would let me know if it was the perfect boat for occasional 6 to 8 foot swells off the Maine coast. It is NOT a V hull and does not take a 3/4 following sea. In a 2-3 foot wave every 8 secs you are not going to be doing 5500 rpm. Get into as many boats as you can under every condition and decide. I can say after one summer, nearly 2 hundred engine hours and 1270 on the tach in my "Snap Out Of It" you are reading a reply from someone who is as close to heaven as you can get. Full bore when it's smooth, trim out and enjoy when it rough. and when there's a "blow" don't go out unless you are in a 38" Albin , instead of the slightly smaller better version made by C-Dory
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Smutty --

BTDT and agree. Dangnabit, you kids have all the fun. Laughing

Dusty
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
You're welcome anytime you want to come up to Alexandria for a cruise on the 22' If its blowing, the Potomac can give you a sense of that Chesapeake chop and you can see how the 22' handles in it.

BTW- are you the same Tom Kline I know from the Senate?

Best regards,

Tom Callahan

Tom Kline

City/Region: Norfolk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Dear Tom,

Thank you very much. I may take you up on that ride on the Potomac.

And "no," I have nothing to do with the Senate or politics.

Thank you for the nice reply.

Sincerely,

Tom Kline
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime, Tom. I had Redman, from Arlington, out yesterday. Beautiful weather for a cruise, and I think he enjoyed having a chance to see how she operates. I've been wanting to trailer the boat down south and cruise around your area, which I've never done. If I get some time off and can do it, I will send you a PM.
Best regards,
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my 22 across the lower bay, every weekend. Since the boat will plan at 12 knots, I can always find a cruising speed to minimize the chop and still get to my destination without have to drop to hull speed. A little playing with the trim tabs and the tilt on the Honda and I can get through almost anything on the lower bay, short of a gale!

Steve
katie Marie III

City/Region: Stoney Creek Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: katie-marie III
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I live on the middle bay, north of the bay bridge. I have experienced rough water this past month. You will have to go slow in our chop,but the pounding is much less than my old 22' sunbird v-hull. Please join us in June for our gathering at the Lanckford Bay Gathering .last year over 20 C-Dorys and many from our own bay.
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I have few days off and am heading out tomorrow to lower eastern shore. Want to see Tangier Island in the wintertime. Other than that, I haven't made any definite plans. Let me know if you are around and want to meet up on Thursday or Friday somewhere.
Regards,
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Tom;

I'm out of Lynnhaven Inlet, VA Beach. I hope to be out this Monday or Tuesday; else on the weekends, on Saturdays, whenever there isn't any ice on Long Creek.

I am well pleased with the way my CD25 handles and rides on the 'Bay. The heaviest action I've had was abt 4'-5'where I got a lot of spray; but, still very comfortable. As others have noted, you don't want to be going 15kts in that stuff, for you would be flying the CD, not riding her.

I'm usually looking for someone to share the scenery with, if you want a demo.

Sea Angel

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: