HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gulllf Coast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Gulllf Coast Reply with quote

Anyone know a good (inexpensive) marina preferably within walking distance of the beach with rig storage on the Gulf Coast (LA, MS, AL, FL)? We are thinking of staying there for the month of FEB.

Thanks

John

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peglegs/Sabine Marina in Pensacola Beach is really cool and right across the street from the beach. Not many people know about it. It's normally cheap per day but for a month Im sure they'd give you a great rate.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA and MS in my opinion are not as cool as FL for what you are doing.

From Pensacola beach you can make some nice little trips too. Over to Destin, Palafox in downtown Pensacola, Lulu's in Orange Beach AL, several civil war forts to check out. West of Destin is really cool but got beat up in the hurricane. St Andrews Marina in PC may be open by your trip and is really cool. I don't know if the restaurants and businesses around it will be open however.

Have you looked at the marina ratings on Active Captain? They are very accurate and up to date reviews in the gulf coast area.
SnT

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Outlier
Photos: Outlier
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to John and Susan for starting this thread- the timing is perfect. We have been on the California Delta since Oct 1st and plan to be somewhere on the Gulf coast by Dec 1st after a visit with kin in Phoenix. Pensacola has been at the top of our list but we are open to other ideas. Thanks everyone!
Steve and Tina
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve...How is the Delta ??? Is it getting cold yet ?? I was thinking of heading up that way for a week...
SnT

Vessel Name: Outlier
Photos: Outlier
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been enjoying the balmy weather- daytime 70's - 40-50's at night
But- we have skewed perspective being from Wisconsin.
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December in Pensacola can be cool. We do get an occasional frost. It depends on the weather fronts coming in. Next Tuesday it is predicted to have a low of 33. But last night it was in the low 70's. You will find this type of variations. Average high is 60 and average low is 44 in December. We have seen as low as 18 one night a year go. But the next few days may warm up into the high 50's or low 60's at night.

The problem with Peg Leg Pete's is that there are no showers or laundry. That may be an issue for Boathaus. Also you are limited to Peg Leg Pete's for any amenities--sort of isolated from other facilities. The real plus is that there is a public beach almost right across the street.

Another option may be the Sabine Marina. This is in Little Sabine Bay, which is the heart of Pensacola Beach--many restaurants and bars just steps away. They get $12 to #13 a foot a month or $2 a foot a night. There are showers and laundry as well as boater's bath rooms in a 64 slip marina. The main Pensacola beach is about 200 yards away. You will not find any of the beaches crowded this time of the year.

Nothing at Gulf Shores or Orange Beach AL close to the beach. -except at Caribe Marina--There are no Active Captain reviews--and I am not sure of their short term policy. You might give them a call. This is just to the East of Perdido Pass Bridge on the Perdido Bay side. Some current, and clean water! Not much close around--and not sure of facilities. This is mostly a charter/ water sports dock. There are a number of slips associated with the high rise condos here. There is a good beach either on the pass side or gulf side --both South of Perdido Beach Drive.

There are a number of marinas on the ICW--one could get dockage there, and then take the boat to the beach--either sand Islands or the peninsulas. The Wharf is a large marina with upscale features at Orange Beach. Many Loopers stop there.

Look at Active Captain--if you see anything which you want more info on, give me a PM. We live on upper Perdido Bay--Not ocean beaches.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

The problem with Peg Leg Pete's is that there are no showers or laundry. .

They do have someone of a shower but it's wooden and somewhat open to the elements. I showered on the boat when I've stayed there.
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob got me to thinking. There are a number of nice slips that you can rent in Destin with easy access to the gulf. They are not at a commercial marina but renting slips from people that own them.

https://www.destinvacationboatrentals.com/boat-slip-rentals/

https://www.beachguide.com/Destin/HolidayIsleboatslips

http://www.destinwaterfun.com/boat-slips-near-me/
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snag-A-Slip also lets people rent out their own slips.
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of marinas in the Gulf coast area with slips available. That is not an issue. The question (at least by JOHN C is close to the beach with rig storage. You are not going to find rig storage at Peg Leg Petes--best rig storage is going to be at Pensacola Marina Ship Yard where there is security. Many public ramps are not secure--and not really designed for long term storage.

Boathaus are live aboard on a 22--and need adequate facilities...
Gulfcoastjohn

C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: florida in Feb Reply with quote

John and Susan,
I would suggest South Florida or the Keys for a February adventure. The weather is much warmer and only another days drive compared to the NW Florida Gulf Coast ( which we do love).
I doubt there are any marinas in ‘walking distance’ of the beach that have free secure rig storage for transients, but you can work around that. You also can’t launch that beast at just any skiff ramp in Florida. We find a place to store the trailer and keep the truck at the marina, so we can take the truck to a beach or Publix. We have gravitated to enjoying having all 3 meals aboard daily, which saves so much money in South Florida that we don’t feel bad about $3.50/ft/night transient fees at 5 star resort marinas with fab amenities.

You will feel much better about your budget for this trip if you first plan total costs for a beachfront house rental for a month in Eluthera (which has about the same weather in Feb).

Moorings Longboat Key, Sarasota, Feb avg hi 74, avg low 55. Hot tub and pool at marina (!) and access to others and private beach and 5-star gym and Armand Circle by courtesy van. Launch and store trailer at Marina Jack’s, we used public ramp at Mote lab but it was too shallow and stored trailer at the home of an employee of a storage company that was full.
https://www.longboatkeymarina.com/

Our advice…Key West, Feb avg hi 76, low 66.
https://www.stockislandmarina.com/marina-amenities/slip-reservations#rates-section
Note that rate drops from $3.50 to $2.50 if you stay over 28 days. Power billed separately, get a 125/250V 50A adapter.

http://www.conntek.com/products.asp?id=26

We’ll trailer down there Nov 22 even though we can stay at Boca Chico NAS marina for $1.00/ft/night. Launch at the City Marina at Garrison Bight, store a dual axle trailer there for $10/day, you must nav around the island to the marina, Cow Channel not passable for us.

Founders Park marina, same weather, good ramp and trailer storage, but not Key West:
http://www.islamorada.fl.us/departments/parks_and_recreation/founders_park.php

There are LOTS of mom and pop marina resorts (some with adequate ramps, some without but within a few miles). Those vicious winter artic fronts that come tearing down in Feb can reach the Keys, and make for Small Craft warnings that can complicate your plans. However, most boaters who were planning to come in delay a day or two, and most planning to depart also do, so it’s often no problem.

I agree with Ken (who we met at Moorings Longboat Key in 2015) and Bob.
Good luck planning this adventure and looking forward to seeing you at Hontoon. We will never forget your answer to the question ‘how long does it take two manatees to mate’….”about 4 hours of splashing and thrashing about”.
No comment.

Try dockwa.com for marina reservations, works great.
Cheers!
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Gulf Coast Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.

I found a place that will take a trailer about 20 miles north of Gulfport AL for $35/mo. Fenced in 30 acre lot.

We have done the FL keys many times. Conditions for launching, rig storage, and even anchoring out have been getting progressively harder and more expensive as time goes on (Biscayne Bay used to be free!!) The sailing that time of year is a blast, but the Rosborough doesn't do that very well. If I was going to stay there, I would choose Black Finn in Marathon - as a a few years ago reasonable rates (for the Keys) and no charge for rig storage. Nice people. There were (probably still are) a bunch of live aboards there who return every winter.

As far as the weather goes, I doubt it will be any worse than AK in July, at least when we were there (although we didn't get snow but it was cold enough so we could have). Acceptable boating weather for us has changed since we got a boat with heat.

Besides, the one thing we haven't seen is snow from our boat when in the water.

My guess is the weather will be far better than Cleveland, at least most of the time.

Thanks again,

John
ken35216

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gulf Coast Reply with quote

JOHN C wrote:
Acceptable boating weather for us has changed since we got a boat with heat.

I'm with you on that one! I love boating the gulf coast in the winter and would rather wear a sweater/coat than sweat my butt off during the heat of the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: