View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: First PNW Winter Reply with quote

So, heading into my first PNW (Portland) winter as a C-Dory owner...

I don’t have a cover or a camper back. Since we don’t get a ton of snow, do you think getting a camper and using it as a winter cover would work ok? Not sure I can swing it financially, might have to just tarp it.

Also, trailering like 5 miles at 45mph, does that require taking the camper off/on each time? How big of a pain is that? Still hoping to get it out a few times a month over the winter.

Thanks.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great custom cover from Angola Canvas 1-800-970-6607.They have the measurements for C-Dorys. They can make any adjustments you want to accommodate any changes you request. You can find several recommendations for Angola here on the C-Brats. That said, for our last 16 footer we simply measured the length over the top and width from below the stripes with a string and sent the dimensions to an outfit like Tarp World They made a decent huge tarp with grommets all around and it worked well and was cheap.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have at least some type of cover. I second Marty's Angoia Canvas as a recommendation. Another cheaper option should be a "Slant back" cockpit cover which is fitted directly over the cockpit.

I have always removed the Bimini and camper canvas when trailering...on the other hand, if only 45 mph and 5 miles, I see as doable.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Cover Reply with quote

We use an RV cover.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using the camperback as a storage cover, IMO, is it will be "green" in no time.

As to install/removal, I don't tow with it on. Yes, there's a lot of zippers and snaps...probably takes us 20 minutes total to install. That's a WAG; I've never timed it.

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechadmiller,

Thataway's suggestion of a Slantback style cockpit cover has worked well for us, trailering at freeway speeds. In combination with a dodger, per photo at the link, there is minimal buffeting. The Slantback keeps dirt, birds, etc., while parked, as well. Ours is a custom tailored canvas job, but a piece of blue tarp, bungied in place, should work for a winter.

http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/112996118

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camperback or slantback cover will help but if it was me, my boat (and I lived in Portland many years), I would at least use a full cover tarp. You want to not just keep water out of the cockpit, but off the rest of the boat. Keeps from getting green drydeck, moss and black slime growing where you don't want it. (As if you want that anywhere on your precious C-Dory.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Duplicate post.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture above reminds me of why I covered my boat (it's in the garage right now, but probably not all winter as it inhibits other projects). Moss and slime are fairly easy to remove. What is more difficult is pitch. Also, an alder or oak leaf lying on the deck can stain with tannin and is as difficult to remove as rust. But my favorite gripe is birds that eat berries and then crap on my deck. Can't they at least poop on my blue trim?

It gets complicated to just "tarp" a boat. If the sun hits it at all, it will create a solar greenhouse and the interior of the boat will become a biology experiment. Tarping the boat was the only time I'd had really heavy condensation in the cabin and forepeak. Little gnats got stuck to the cabin ceiling. Fortunately, I climbed aboard during one of the mid-winter tropical micro-climates generated by the tarp and saw what was going on. I needed way more air circulation than I had thought. It is probably the most difficult part of tarping.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly why I use a Sunbrella cover. Waterproof and yet it breathes. It no longer beads up, but it is still waterproof.
thechadmiller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be ordering one tomorrow from Angola. It looks like Sunbrella and Aqualon have the same warranty, but Aqualon is $100 cheaper. Thoughts?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock C-Dory cover from Angola extends down to the rub rail. FWIW, I had them extend my cover about another 28' all the way around. The cover now comes down to the trailer fenders on the sides and covers the swim step. Also, the option is for the motor cover to be separate or connected to the main cover. I find that having the motor cover connected to the main helps hold the main cover tight over the cockpit and splash well.

If you send Angola the locations of your accessories (like antenna mounts, extra rails, spot lights, etc.) they will reinforce the cover at these points. If you go for the connected motor cover, have them reinforce the seam between the main cover and the motor cover.

If you need mods to the cover after you test fit it, Angola will do the mods for the cost of the shipping and any additional material required.

The stock cover has loops at the rub rail position and a few grommets in the hem. I added a bunch more grommets to the hem for additional tie down lines. The placement of the grommets will depend on how you plan on tying the cover down and in my case was driven by where I tie the ropes to my trailer to hold the cover.

My cover is Sunbrella. Sunbrella will breathe better than Aqualon, but Aqualon is lighter and cheaper. Apparently Aqualon Edge is a new version of Aqualon and is breathable.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Tarp as winter boat cover Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

It gets complicated to just "tarp" a boat. If the sun hits it at all, it will create a solar greenhouse and the interior of the boat will become a biology experiment. Tarping the boat was the only time I'd had really heavy condensation in the cabin and forepeak. Little gnats got stuck to the cabin ceiling. Fortunately, I climbed aboard during one of the mid-winter tropical micro-climates generated by the tarp and saw what was going on. I needed way more air circulation than I had thought. It is probably the most difficult part of tarping.

Mark

Condensation and high air relative humidity are the problems...water condenses on cabin interior surfaces that are cold from the moist, warmer air as temperature drops, then when the sun shines that liquid water heats and goes back into the atmosphere. Closing the cabin door is probably the worse thing you can do for this as it prevents air circulation. Of course you don’t want liquid water anywhere except outside. Initially, I put a heater in the cabin with my boat covered by the tarp and shut the cabin door. This worked pretty well, but was using a lot of electricity. One of my buddies with a trawler said I needed to REMOVE the humidity, not just push it around. He used a dehumidifier to great success in his engine room. I bought the cheapest model that Lowes had, set it on the counter, and ran a garden hose through the low sump opening in the cabinet, where the bilge pump sits. Water runs through the cockpit and out the drain hole in the hose. The dehumidifier will quickly pull cabin RH to 50%, shut off, and come back on when RH goes above 50%. The cabin walls are DRY, and the musty smell pretty much disappeared. I monitored electric use, and it is minimal, almost nothing, compared to heating the interior. I’d say this is a good solution for any boat cabin that is getting too humid if you have electricity handy.
thechadmiller

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered from Angola. Thanks for all the advice.
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be happy. Ours looks like hell; the green/black mold is winning. But it's 8 yrs old and still working. I hand scrubbed it last year with a deck brush/detergent and it helped but I'm sure after a few months of PNW fall/winter the green/black crud will be back.

One year I had a neighbor's cat make himself at home in the cockpit but I've since removed everything prior to storage and he has not returned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: