replace radar/navigation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnd

City/Region: DEMING
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NOTAYOT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: replace radar/navigation Reply with quote

I took my recently aquired C-Dory 22 cruiser, Notayot, to E.Q. Harbor for a few things, and Stan the Electronic Man from there sent me this email:

"I’m the bearer of bad tidings today. The radar is not functional & the issue is defective circuitry in the C-80 display. In navigation mode the C-80 is unstable, the cursor makes random jumps on the screen. The VHF appears to operate normally although it is the same vintage & probably no longer service either." STAN

I have no understanding or experience with these systems. Being as this is a system from 2005/2006 do i completley change systmes, maybe even brands, this is Raymarine, I am not impressed that they decide when to no longer service a unit rather than let the customers decide, however, that said,
I do not understand the old sytem or the differences in the new ones.

I did not find any information on my search of this site for current information on newer systems.

I would appreciate recomndations on what to install now. I will be boating inthe San Jauns fishing, crabbing, etc.

thanks, johnd

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a number of changes and upgrades in Radar, chart plotters and depth sounders.

All major companies make excellent units. Also I doubt that any service 13 year old plotters--there may be some private technicians who do so.

I have felt that Garmin are the easiest to use. 10 years ago, I would not have bought RayMarine, but since being purchased by FLIR, the service and product has dramatically improved. My "new" boat had 3 year old Raymarine core products (Autopilot, MFD GPS and sonar), so I added several new RayMarine components and am happy with the products. (RayMarine uses Navionics charts currently, which I like better than Garmin Blue charts) Navico (Simrad, B & G, & Lowrance) is also a good product.

Furuno has always made very good products--they drifted away from the recreational market for a few years, but are now back. May be a little more expensive

A lot depends on what you do with the boat. Have at least a GPS with 5 to 10 hz update--many have the Russian and Chinese as well as US satellite receivers and are very accurate. Sonar now includes down scan, side scan and even forward scan. Radars have the excellent discrimination radars with comes with broad band and digital technology--uses less power.

Spend some time at a store which has all of the units to look at side by side. Also read Panbo.com about the latest electronics. lots of homework. No real advantage unless you have an auto pilot to staying with RayMarine. New radios have built in AIS receivers which is a great safety feature--also they are DSC compliant for distress.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnd, Sorry you got that bad news, but I would trust Stan and EQ. They are straight shooters, and are not just trying to sell you "stuff". My Raymarine electronics are slightly newer than yours but are still over 10 years old. As long as they are still working, (for now at least), I am staying with them. If I was looking to change, I would look seriously back at Raymarine, although I am vary partial to Garmin and have a Garmin on board thatvI run simultaneously.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: