The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1982 22 Angler ..... hull/keel strips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yukoner

City/Region: Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: 1982 22 Angler ..... hull/keel strips Reply with quote

Hey there,

I purchased a 1982 22' Angler off of my cousin a few years ago. What a great, cool boat! She has 3 wooden strips on its hull - 1 center 'keel' strip and 1 roughly under each gunwale.

The starboard side strip has been broken off forward of the cabin bulkhead long since before my purchase. The keel strip was never tight at its forward edge, but it has definitely peeled back further over the last 2 years. Its two forward screws have completely let go (see picture). Time for repair.

I have read of foam cores on these boats, balsa cores and solid glass contruction. I need to know what type of construction is where if I am to repair these strips.

Finally, do I need the strips? I use my angler on Tagish Lake - 100 km long in BC and the Yukon. She is in the water from June to Halloween. In the spring (June) at low water she gets beached (~10 days) in order to reach my cabin. Soft sand. From July to October she floats at the cabin's dock (once water levels ride) or at her slip.

jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow never seen that before, I think somebody added those. My 86 angler does not have anything like that on the bottom. If it was mine I'd remove them and properly patch/fill the holes. Maybe they got added to improve tracking while trolling? Let me know if you want some pics of what my bottom looks like

EDIT: OOPS I thought you had an 86' wow ya never seen that before shes an oldie for sure, mine are glassed in on the 86
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The core of the early boats was 3/4" plywood. I certainly would remove any side strakes--and consider repair of the center "keel". The strakes were most likely added at some time.

I would want to seal the core of the boat with epoxy from outside. Be sure it is dry. Can you access all of the screws of the center strip?. If the screws are all accessible, and can be easily backed out, then, I would pull the strip, fill the holes in the hull with thickened epoxy, redrill the pilot holes and fit the strip with 5200. In reality I bought that the "keel" is adding a lot of directional stability, and you may just want to repair the holes, and leave the wood strake off.

What is unknown is the condition of the core and the bottom. With the boat being in AK all of its life--it has been subjected to freeze thaw cycles. After the wood "Keel" has been removed, you may want to "sound" the bottom where the screw holes were, to see if it is delaminated. future repair would depend on what you find.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yukoner

City/Region: Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 1982
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback.

To my knowledge the core is good. I see no cracking or heaving which would likely show up while she sits at -45 in the winter.

The boat is older than I am, so I am unsure as to what was factory and what has been modified. Understandably she has gone through a few repowers and design changes in her ~40 years. She started life as a small halibut boat in Juneau before coming inland to Canada. I know my cousin brought her back from the brink in 2015. He put a bunch of time and money into her cabin interior, fuel tank relocation and fiberglass work.

I do see how the keel strip may add stability, but I am more concerned about the prolonged integrity of her core. I can access all 3 strips while she is on the trailer, so I may order up some marine epoxy and remove what is left of the strips. I view the hull of a boat the same way that I look at the roof of a building - the fewer holes the better.

I absolutely love this boat. I hope that with a little attention I can keep her in top shape for years to come.come
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if those were added to protect the bottom if it was planned on beaching on a frequent basis. Especially on some "not so sandy" shores.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: