The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Byrdman's CD18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Patrick. This proves that you can never have too many boats.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually... and this may be out there a bit... but I was thinking of putting some type of "hard-top" configuration over the back to allow a good break from the sun in the summer months, and a larger covered area for the colder months..... sort of like something the Roussburge (sp?) boat has done.....but, raise it up a bit as to allow for room for fishing rods...and/or air flow to pass between the top of the vessle, and the top covering the back... made of some type of light weight aluminum, and then painted with some type of "Rino-Guard" stuff to make it match the color of the boat, and keep some items that may be stored up there a bit... not much at all up top, but a nice platform for a couple of folding chairs to sit and enjoy the stars at night while at anchor.....or a jump or two while attempting to beat the southern summer heat/humidity while roped up with the gang back in the cove..... Then, have roll down curtins for the sides and aft..... maybe. For sure do not want to change the balance line like the NY site seeing boat. Going to go play on her a few days after getting a trusty kicker (85 year modle main) and see how she floats, leans, and hanldles beem waves.... just feel her out a bit.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Check out the roof extension on my boat. You could easily make something like that out of epoxyglass and marine plywood (or foam core). It would be very light and could be made to look just like the roofline of the original roof. What you can't see in the photo's of mine is that the rear of the top is supported by verticle poles that are mounted to brackets under the gunnels. The original owner (I'm the second owner) told me this was created after he purchased the boat in Alaska in 1983 by a shop up there. It was VERY well done!

The biggest problem you will face is that if you want to be able to get on top of it you will need to make it a lot stronger (heavier) than would be good for keeping the CG low enough to keep it safe.

Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary.....and Robbi: Thanks for the replies....and Robbie for the PM .... Robbi...you are too kind.

The name of the boat I was speaking of in the above post is the RF246 Rosborough with the aft hardtop area.

Yes, center of gravity is also that importnat part....i.e. the NY sight seeing boat remark.... Embarassed Embarassed

Too many hours without sleep...but I have just gotten up from 12 hours of it in a row....and somebody in this town is about to mount a kicker on an 85 Angler withing the next 3 hours... I gotta get this boat in the water.

Will update tommorow on how my 1st day/night on the boat went.

Byrdman
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Patrick Phone and he was calling me from C-Byrd. He was toasting Beer his maiden voyage , such as it was, and called me to share in the moment.He was thankfull that he had purchased a new 4 stroke suzi 9.9 kicker . It proved to come in mighty handy as the main had some sort of trouble and quit out in the middle of the waterway. At least he was on the water....lol....and lovin every minute of it. Hot he is not sure just what the problem is but it was gettin dark and didn't take time to trouble shoot on the water.
1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thakns Roger Man! Well, after shifting the tanks/lines, the main started right back up and ran fine. I musta pinched the fuel line when checking to see how much fuel actually was in the tank....I do not like gauges...even the little floating ones...they stick too. Did not have time to play about due to me promising Sherryl that I would stay home for 5 days in a row to take care of some household chores that I have been putting off for about 10 years.

Some water coming in but I feel for sure it was simply from the little plug on the port side not being screwed down real good prior to me putting it in and flipping it up to lock it in place. In the daylight of moring, I think I got her fixed, but only had about an hour to play as to get back to the house. Yesturday, Wednesday, was day 1 of 5.

Boat ran great, all though it much ruffer than the TomCat in that hard edge chop we get on our lake with the 15-20 mph winds. But, like with the 16, drop the speed, drop the nose, and there ya go! I only had about a 200 yard,,, or for your nautical folks, about 180 meters run at power...before loosing the main. Fuel line under tank I think. Embarassed That ol 85 modle 50 hp sent this boat accross the water way fast. Did not have my gps onboard so I have no idea what the speed was...but was clipping...and banging due to the chop. I achieved what I wanted, and that was the 50 will push it fine...even with a prop that is ate up bad...but I aint had time to put my "stuff" on her yet.

My town, and the three between me and the lake, was basically out of 4 stroke kickers... shopped 4 marinas. 2 nothing below 20hp 4 strokes left in inventory this year. Ya gotta remember that we have mostely "fair weather boaters" in my area...another good reason to have a C-Dory...ya have private boating 6 months of the year. Smile Bought a 9.9 hp Suzuki with electric start for $1937. Did not really plan on buying an electric start, but that is what was available. Other dealer in the area was happy to keep his until next season, and it was a yamaha 9.9... over $1000 spread..before our fine 10% sales tax, and no electric start. Guess he plans to mount it on some boat at the boat show. Now I know I more than likely could have saved some money by shopping about....the web and all, but I wanted to get on the water...right away, and no way with only the 20 year old motor I knew nothing about.

Then, with the unknown for sure that I had fixed the water issue, I desided to have them just drop her on the cleaning racks for a week or two. This gets it out of my driveway to avoid the neighborhood drive-way natzie patrol...(sp?), and clears the trailer for me to properly measure and order replacement parts. Much needed. Two cross members, front roller and the big wide roller on the aft end, many to all u-bolts and other bolts. Bobbie had a new axle and tires. But, I may just fix this trailer up, and then spring for a new one at the boat shows with larger tires. I like being able to haul long hauls, (say the Eastern Shore gathering in Jun06) and I simply do not feel comfortable with 13" tires and 75mph interstate speeds....which is where my Excursion likes to pull.

Neet little cover too. Forgot to charge camera batteries, so I only got one water shot while waiting for the fork lift. Will post to FreeByrd photo albumn in a bit. May request another photo album as to allow me to keep TomCat in one, and 18 Angler in another. This would help others have less to sift thru if looking for particular items of each type of vessle.

WOW....that 100lb kicker is a bear to handle by myself with no hoist/or motor hauling device...but, I did not want to just leave her uncovered and on the kicker mount, not under the canvas cover. Not that some redneck would steal it for his duck hunting boat or anything. Some type of something will have to be addressed here. Maybe some type of "thru-bolt" set up or cable rather than just the twisting clamps. HMMMM...will look at other kicker post threads.

Great 1st Run! Happy owner.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a call from Jeff yesturday while still under house arrest by Sherryl to get some painting done...

Jeff indicated that there were only 14 of the 18'Anglers built. I have the 14th hull. Cool. More to do....

and... My parole officer said I had gotten enough painting done that I could go get on my boat!! Yeeeepppppeeeeee

Some more measuring and stuff... back on line Wednesday night late or Thursday moring early

Byrdman gone to visit FreeByrd and C-Byrd
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alll righty...... Got delayed in going to the lake due to rotten window frame... and have that uner conrol. Spent yesturday....ALLLLLL Day playing on C-Byrd. Both motors ran great!! Got some real good training on what to do, what not to do as far as lowering and raising the kicker....measuring....taking pics....ext.... Think I need to raise the kicker braket about 5".... the kicker simply sits way too deep in the water when the kicker toater is lowered.... Will more than likely hook up some type of TR1 remote stearing for kicker...that controls the speed too. Do not think I will remote the main.... Posting some nubmers that have been asked for on the power/speed of the 85 year model Johnson 50 hp 2 stroke motor.. At idle speed, of 1.1 rpm = 3.5 to 3.7 mph
3k = 7.3 mph
4k = 12.5 to 12.8mph
4.25K= 14.5 mph
4.8K= 19
5K=21.8 to 22mph
5.5K=25.2
6K=28.5 and starting to porpous a bit... and did not push her over 6K

Yes, I see now I missed 3.5K...but the boat/motor simply did not like running there. The weird 4.25K and 4.8Ks ....are simply where this motor, on this boat, on this day seem to "hunt to...".

The old motor ran great and it does help not having the 10 gallon tank sitting on the fuel line. Amazing.

Ran for about 2 hours making turns, running rpms up and down....and then about a 30 minute just straight cruise which is where the figures came to play at where the boat felt it should run. The prop is in bad shape and I will get one real soon.

The 9.9 kicker....ran great, all be it a bit too low in the water when deployed in the lowered position on the kicker mount. Gonna raise it about 5" I think. The original owner may have simply had a short saft lower unit on his kicker.... but, no idea or rpms.... but it would hold straight and stear resonably well in the 3.5 to 5mph range.... and cruised about 1 hour at around 4.3ish..... just enjoying life and the boat... Not really much fuel gone out of the kicker tank... that was sweet. Burns about like the wallas in the TC24.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the weight down the road last week on my 18 Angler... One battery, about 3 gallons of fuel/oil.... a few ropes, a fender or two, no anchor....pretty much just the boat, trailer, 50hp 2 stroke motor and 9.9 hp 4 stroke motor..... and she weighed 2340#. Sweeeeeet!
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get this great historic boat for sure water ready....with a new re-power set up.

With the weight and all of this boat...(less than 2400 pounds of boat, motors and trailer...wet and water ready) ....thinking of going with a Suzi 50 hp 4 stroke...that will match the new kicker I have on her. I have for sure decided to stay with the 4 storke side of the house. Thoughts from the forum?

Byrdman
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Roger(Fishtales) reported that Sealife's twin Suzuki 40's were much quieter at idle that his twin Honda 40's.

Sounds like a good choice if you have a good dealer for service and warranty work.

How about bringing that historical boat out west for some fun cruising?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Cornet Bay last year and a guy had a pair of Suzi 140's. He was sitting at the dock idling both motors and the ONLY way I knew they were running was that they were peeing water! They are by far the quietest motors I've ever seen running (I really couldn't hear them at idle from 10 ft away!).
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, If you are happy with the performance of a 50 then I think it comes down to personal preference / best deal etc between Yamaha, Suzuki, & Etec. They all weigh within a couple of pounds of each other. If you are going 60 though the Suzuki is in my opinion out of the running at 100 lbs heavier. It appears that your performance numbers light are about what mine are loaded. I did have a noticable drop in top end when we filled the boat up with people & gear. I have no experience with the suzuki. I'm just tickled with the Etec and my fishing partner has the 60 yamaha on his little Arima. He doesn't have a fuel flow meter but the other day running together all day his total fuel burn was just a tiny bit more than mine. A lot depends on how fast you want to be able to run and how heavy you will load the boat. With me I was pretty set on the 60. It came down to the etec warranty and dealing with Les vs the local yamaha dealer. If Les sold yamaha I might have gone with that.
Norm

Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your feedback and responses over the past couple/few months. Well... heading up to pick up C-Byrd, and get her ready for the retro-work next week. This should be great...and it will be great to be able to know she has been updated as to give me a nice safer, more reliable vessels with some updated items... main motor to Suzi 50 hp 4 stroke, new chartplotter/fish aint here finder, VHF Radio, lights, fuel tank(s), NavMan 3100 fuel monitor, some new wiring work, new bilge pumps, boarding ladder.... bottom paint... and a few items for the trailer too. And possibly some canvas modifications as to give me a fast-back canvas rather than a "storage-canvas."

Who knows... I may just go plum crazy...and get her painted too if things do not buff out good.

I will be out of the net for about a week...

Thanks again...and yall all have a great Mother's Day weekend. A special thanks to all you Mothers out there...that have put up with children like me and raised us.... Yes, I know... I should have taken the bets that I would not live past 25.... CoolSmile
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... C-Byrd in the driveway poised for the ride down to East Point, FL for her retro work with Marc and his crew at Wefings. And I wonder why I did not sleep last night. This ol lady is about to get a face lift .. CoolSmile and she can an will again ride the waters with her head held high!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: