State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
dotnmarty wrote:
A friend of mine saw a photo of our 16 footer and asked me, "What's it like to be wealthy". My response, "It's wonderful".

Ain't THAT the truth, Marty!

I try to remind myself every day to reflect on how wealthy I am. Just consider the lives of all the humans who have ever walked this earth. Those of us lucky enough to be making that journey here and now enjoy material well-being beyond the reach, or even the imagination, of most of the rest of our fellow beings.

I owned a boat!

Bill
Formerly on NORO LIM

When I was growing up (about age Cool I had an 8 foot plywood dingy up in Sidney BC, I would row up and down the rows of boats in the marina. I learned all the boat names, and as I rowed I determined that someday, When I got big enough, I would have a boat with a name. I have been so blessed to be able to not only have a boat with a name but to be able to take it to some of the most spectacular areas in the PNW, and maybe some day, some other places. For now, I'm happy with my 22.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
A friend of mine saw a photo of our 16 footer and asked me, "What's it like to be wealthy". My response, "It's wonderful".

"Wealthy" is a relative thing. I remember when I was in the Peace Corps, "wealthy" people in my village had less than I had. Most had nothing.

Just before coming back to the US I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. My guide, Faustino, always friendly and caring, encouraged my tired butt the last of the way. We talked a bit about how things were in the US vs. Tanzania, me focusing on describing grocery stores. I talked about backpacking and canoe camping in the Everglades and that I hoped to get my own canoe when I got back.

Faustino pointed at his pack and said "Everything I own is in this pack. You should be glad you don't have to carry everything you own today".

Faustino seemed the happiest person in the world. "Happy" is clearly a state of mind.

I guess I'm too American to consider poverty as a path to happiness, but I certainly don't lust after the cost and responsibility of a larger boat right now.
LakeHouse4305

State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Flexibility vs. size Reply with quote

We recently spent a week doing some of the San Juans with a charter boat (not a C Dory) and I was really impressed with the flexibility of the 22's. We saw them in many places, frequently tucked into spots we couldn't moor due to size or draft. Certainly saw instances where size doesn't matter and gained an appreciation of what can be done with these boats.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've graduated from all your ego filled thinking,
you may come to realize,

as Grandpa used to say, "Less is more."

Aye.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look at boats that size and wonder of the owner likes anything about boating. The captain does an excellent job docking (as he should for the amount he is paid). The crew puts the gang plank out (using the aft crane). The owner gets in the waiting cab and goes sightseeing. What, if anything, does the owner understand about the vessel (other than length and cost)? Would the owner know a barnacle if he/she saw one?

"She." Hah, I wonder how many women purchase something like that.

It's just not possible to do what I like with something that size. It would feel like wearing reality goggles, (https://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets) which is to say it might kind of feel like boating if one were easily fooled.

But then, the reason for ownership probably has nothing to do with boating.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of large boats. With the passing of Paul Allen I found this interesting:
Quote:
Allen loaned Octopus, which is equipped with a submarine and ROV, for a variety of rescue and research operations. These include assisting in a hunt for an American pilot and two officers whose plane disappeared off Palau, and loaning his yacht to scientists to study the coelacanth, a "living fossil" that was once believed to be extinct.

In January 2011, while en route to Antarctica, one of its helicopters was forced to make an emergency landing in the waters off the coast of Argentina. While the helicopter was severely damaged, there was no loss of life, with only the co-pilot suffering minor injuries. Allen was not aboard at the time.[4][5]

In 2012, he loaned the ship to the Royal Navy in their attempt to retrieve the ship's bell from the Admiral-class battlecruiser HMS Hood, which sank to a depth of 9,000 feet (2,700 m) in the Denmark Strait during World War II, as a national memorial. HMS Hood was hit by a shell from the German battleship Bismarck; its magazines exploded and the ship sank in minutes with a loss of over 1,400 lives. The bell was located but not recovered, due to adverse weather conditions.

In March 2015, an Allen-led research team announced that it had found the Japanese battleship Musashi in the Sibuyan Sea off the coast of the Philippines. Armed with 46 cm (18.1 in) main guns and displacing 72,800 tonnes (74,000 tons) at full load, Musashi and its sister ship Yamato were the largest and most heavily armed battleships in naval history.[6]

On 7 August 2015 it was announced that the bell from HMS Hood had been recovered by the ROV operating from the yacht Octopus. After conservation, the bell is due to go on display in 2016 at the National Museum of the Royal Navy Portsmouth, England.

On 19 August 2017, it was announced that the wreck of USS Indianapolis was discovered by Paul Allen and his crew aboard RV Petrel in the Philippine Sea in 18,000 feet (5,500 m) of water. The same crew members were aboard Octopus in the previous expeditions to search, explore and identify wrecks.[7]

On 4 March 2018, RV Petrel, also owned by Allen, found the wreck of USS Lexington, a US aircraft carrier which sank during World War II in the Coral Sea, "some 3,000 meters (two miles) below the surface more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) off the eastern coast of Australia."[8

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The owner gets in the waiting cab and goes sightseeing
Some of the yachts have the armored Rolls Royce limo and a couple of special Suburbans for the body guards and contingent. Others have the "Shadow" vessel, which has the cars. SUV's all water toys, fuel etc--and can also be used as independent research vessels...One carries a 40'+ sailboat--mast up and rigged on one side and a 40'+ sport fisher on davits on the other side.

There has been a man in the Los Angeles area who has owned two identical hulls in excess of 200 feet in length for many years. One vessel is for he and his wife and the other is for friends and business associates. I knew little about the owner or the vessels, until my 50th high school reunion. It turned out that my best friend in high school was employed as an architect for the owner, and had gone on a number of lengthy voyages on these ships. Many of these are 100% written off as business expenses at one time or another. Of course there is the "Charter" business--at hundred of thousands of dollars a week for the super yachts...

The biggest I have been aboard was about a 140 footer in 1984. The owner was German and owned a number of Television stations. His guests were several of the news and sports commentators from Germany. He had 6 crew, his pilot (Bell Jet Ranger and Lear Jet) and personal valet, plus his wife's personal assistant. He had vehicles stored in the ports he most frequently visited. He had come over to our boat to talk about sailboats...He said he had a boat like ours (turned out it was over 30 feet longer) with a crew of 4 he kept in the Caribbean... He invited us over for cocktails and dinner. It was a most enjoyable evening--but we were glad to get back to the relative simplicity of our boat. We had been invited on several smaller boats, including one 120 footer where the owner was constantly looking for crew. The owner bought and sold diamond and gold mines (several large satellite dishes). His wife would go around behind each crew member and criticize what they had done. It had gotten to the point where the Ft. Lauderdale agencies refused to send any more crew members to him. The average lasted less than a month.

My impression was that many of the crew members of the large boats had rather demanding and difficult jobs. The "captain" was more of a business and HR manager, rather than actually "driving" the boat. When the owners, or important guests were aboard the tension levels were often high.

A few of the owners really like the sea; most have the boat brought from one port to another where the vessel has far more luxuries than the best hotel or condo. For many it is bragging rights. I'll take C Dorys any day of the week!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
. . . A few of the owners really like the sea; most have the boat brought from one port to another where the vessel has far more luxuries than the best hotel or condo. For many it is bragging rights. I'll take C Dorys any day of the week!

My thoughts, exactly. (In reorganizing my Photo Album, I see I have apparently cut the link to the pictures in the original post. If you missed those pictures, and you want to see the boats that prompted this thread, look here: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Odds-and-Ends&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We sat in a small cafe a few feet from the dock where an endless stream of very bored-looking people dressed in tuxedos and gowns were being ferried from their water hotels to their land hotels in 30 foot luxury launches and Mercedes limos. Many of them were speaking Russian. None of them were smiling.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]
Quote:
...One carries a 40'+ sailboat--mast up and rigged on one side and a 40'+ sport fisher on davits on the other...

The smaller of Paul Allen's yachts was equipped like that. However the 40' sport fisher was more of a 40' Hinckley type cruiser. So it in MIA about a year ago.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I was flying in and out of Friday Harbor on a regular basis. The float plane would often stop at Allen's property on Lopez Is., then under construction. Construction workers would board, but they were under a confidentiality agreement where the could not discuss why they were there and what they were doing. Some of them did talk about what they did for a living. One guy built on-site custom doors, specializing in massive entrance ways. Gosh, I wonder why he was there.

I remember that the dock had a fair number of identical "little" boats like the CD 16. A friend in Friday Harbor told me that the locals were getting upset because Allen was cornering the market on the most desirable model fishing boat for his guests. I recall it was some type of Ranger that was out of production. It seems that he had at least some of his priorities straight.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-

Might have been the Ranger 21 Tug?

(Using two photos in case one disappears from web site.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: