thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Marie tolerated the porti potty she is much happier with a marine head--and now that we have a shake down cruise on our 2nd 25, she has become a fan of the "Air Head". I rarely disagree with my friend Jim, but our air head did not have any offensive odor after a month of daily use, Yes there is a very small exhaust fan. But sniffing around the fan outlet didn't reveal any odor either. I was prepared not to be a fan of the Air head--now I am.

As for the direct dump type of toilet--the RV's we have owned have had holding tanks of up to 50 gallons...and there are plenty of places to dump them--not so many with the marine pump out stations. We found that many of the pump outs on the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers were not functional--and were very happy not to have to have dealt with that issue. To make head "matters worse", the macerator pump failed on our first 25 in a remote area. Try and find a new macerator pump--and then replace it with a 30 gallon full holding tank. Puts a whole new meaning to the "fit hits the shan"....

I do agree with Jim about the room in the 25--and with the whole port side bulkhead getting in and out of the bunk was far easier.

After a month and 750 miles on our current 25--Marie was ready to keep on going and even do the "loop". First time she has ever said that--including when we owned a 42 foot trawler...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dr. Bob said. Our Airhead has no discernible odor. The composting process is continuous, and it is pretty astounding. While I take no issue with his choice of the RV / marine style head he likes, Jim's comparison of the Airhead to a "pit toilet" is just off base, as people who have rafted to us or moored alongside us can attest. For the record, we emptied the solids container four times over eight month (and a fifth time when we got home). I used a black plastic garbage bag. The solids were mostly well decomposed and looked like compost from the garden store, with some small proportion not decomposed but easily dealt with using a garden trowel, maybe TMI but in the interests of full disclosure! I sealed the bags and deposited them bags in dumpsters.

When we were at marinas, we dumped the liquid tank in the marina toilet - I usually carried it up in a Raymarine cloth bag I got at the Seattle Boat Show! And there were a lot of places that we were able to dump the liquid container overboard without any qualms. Leaving out the argument whether urine is "sterile," "mostly sterile," or "not sterile," we would not dump it in restricted areas such as the Florida Keys. I would still far rather be looking for a toilet, for example in a COE recreation area or in a city park restroom, to dump the liquids container than be searching for a pump out! Pumpouts were pretty few and far between on lots of stretches, for example, between Hoppies and Green Turtle Bay and between Bobby's Fish Camp and Mobile! Also, since we preferred to anchor rather than stay at a marina whenever possible, we were frequently nowhere near a pumpout!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway (and Pat) - I had been waiting for your review of the airhead, and happy to know it is positive. I have thought of a composting toilet that could on a 22 be moved around the boat to a convenient spot. Bow in the daytime, by the door at nighttime. Two places would be needed for venting, but that should not be to hard a problem.

I had worried about offensive smells from the venting in our marina, but sounds (smells) like that is not a problem.

If someone had a bad case of diarrhea how would that affect the composting?

Thanks
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat. Maybe you have it down better now... we were anchored by you in the Gulf islands (you may remember that we gave you our last 5 gallons of fresh water because Austin and his friend used all yours to rinse off with). We were downwind of you.

Sorry I mis-spoke by comparing it to a pit toilet. When we were working in the Tetons, the company installed two large composting toilets on Elk Island that the boat crews were charged with maintaining. These were NOT pit toilets, but rather "state of the art composting toilets". There was a definite learning curve, but they stunk (stank? stinked? Twisted Evil ).

A couple we used to hang with had an Airhead on their sailboat. Definite stink that came out of the vent. When they sold that boat, they said they'd never have another Airhead.

I am happy for those who find whatever works for them. There are many solutions to the issues of a boat head. We found the SeaLand RV/Marine toilet was easy.

A question for you regarding the Airhead on your boat: I know you removed your water heater, but is it possible to use the enclosed head for a shower with the Airhead in there? Any water leakage into it? We used to put a plastic cover over the toilet when showering, to keep the bowl from getting shower water in it (like a big shower cap).

Any plans to replace the toilet in your 5th wheel with an Airhead?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim'
The Airhead has good rubber seals on both the seat and lid, To get liquid into the "hopper' you have to open a "flapper valve"--otherwise they run down into the urine compartment, We have a shower curtain which can be put over the airhead if there is a "Threat" of water intrusion,

We have been next to Day Dream for several weeks at a time and never noticed any oder from Pat and Patty's boat...other than some good food cooking!

I have seen the type of "composting toilets" you described and they are no where like the AirHead, We have friends who lived in a converted bus for 4 years and loved their airhead,

Due to the ventilation necessity, and size of the Air Head, I am not sure it would be practical to move it from place to place...
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr. Bob. It is great that there are options out there. I am not a fan of the typical Jabsco-type marine toilet... probably from having to deal with them on various commercial boats. My admittedly limited exposure to the Airhead was less than positive, but I am glad you and Pat are having good luck with it. Everyone poops, and it is good to have a system on the boat to deal with it that owners like.

I will refrain from any more crappy comments. Wink
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Wives and the 22 without enclosed head Reply with quote

My wife and I did a month long trip this summer using the 5 gal portapotty on the 22. Most often it is in the cockpit using a "Pontoon Boat Privacy Curtain" from Taylor Made. It hangs from the bimini support rails. Lightweight and attaches with velcro. Has a full zipper for ease of use.

Occasionally it is by the backdoor in the cabin or under the V Berth when underway.

It works fine but takes some maintenance. Seems like I am moving it around a bit to make space as needed. For us the 22 is a camping boat...like the VW Campervan...so it is all ok if you are good with that concept. 5 gallons is not a lot of tankage so one needs to be looking ahead for places to empty it appropriately. We know of some with 22s that take two heads to give some flexibility and more tankage. That works with one under the V berth and one in the cockpit.

An enclosed head is a wonderful convenience but it too is a trade off as noted in the comments above.

All that said, the 25 is a lot more than a 22 with an enclosed head. Longer, wider, heavier, roomier, works differently in rough water (better some would say), uses some more fuel. Requires a bigger tow vehicle. All trade offs and compromises that you work through in your selection process.

If you think you are leaning toward the 25 it may be cheaper to go that way initially rather than set up a 22 to your liking and then change to a 25 a few years later.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I have never heard you make a crappy comment in my life, you are way too much the gentleman for that,
" I will refrain from any more crappy comments "
Now then, the subject matter may be a little crappy here, but as noted, everybody poops and we all know we all have to deal with it some way.

I never liked the porta-pottie system, but after considerable search, effort, practice and participation I found that for much of my remote boating, a modification of the basic bag and bucket system worked well, with pretty minimal odor, is easily portable and disposes like disposable diapers. Odor control via a blue liquid, (can't remember the name) but 3 small containers lasted me for nearly 3 months.

OK, TMI so I'm done for now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best advice is to NEVER, EVER, step on a TC255, or else you will both want one and demand that Little Johnnie should have to work harder to win a military scholarship to GA Tech so you can divert her college funding to a Tom Cat 255.
Just our 2 cents worth....
John

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bucket and chuck it" method has been used by an acquaintance of ours who was not married. Worked for him, but you might check with your better half. It seemed to me that it was the bottom of the list: head compartment, porta-potti under the v-berth (or in the aft cockpit,) bucket.

'm not getting into the marine head or composting debate, but I want to have some privacy at night.

Boris
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

A question for you regarding the Airhead on your boat: I know you removed your water heater, but is it possible to use the enclosed head for a shower with the Airhead in there? Any water leakage into it? We used to put a plastic cover over the toilet when showering, to keep the bowl from getting shower water in it (like a big shower cap).

Any plans to replace the toilet in your 5th wheel with an Airhead?

Patty showers on the cockpit, and I shower on the bow with the Helio. When we had a hot water tank and did shower, we put a large black garbage bag over the Airhead, but we didn't use the shower much because of the wasted water getting the hot water from the heater on the port side to the shower on the starboard side.

The Airhead will not work properly if for any reason the contents of the solids tank gets waterlogged. That happened to the gents who brought Daydream back from Alaska in 2006 after Patty and I had flown home - the vent cap came off (it was a solar vent, we have since changed that out).

We have no plans to put a composting toilet in our fifth wheel, since the black tank works fine with the tank additive we use, forget what it is called. Plus, the fifth wheel now only goes from the U-Haul covered storage to Palm Creek and back once a year. We do our traveling in the Alaskan Camper, which has a cassette toilet.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer we began using “Happy Camper” additive and are happy with how well it worked vs the standard blue liquid stuff. It’s an organic powder that breaks down solids & t paper and eliminates odors. We tried it on the recommendation of a fellow brat here.

http://www.1-happycamper.com

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Camper is what we use too. It's organic and it really works without the disinfectant smell of the blue stuff.
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our porta-potti aboard Meri Aura has found multiple use. A sunbrella slipcover with a foam cushion on top gives extra seating when dockside or at anchor as well as leg support while underway for anyone sitting on the aft seat at the table. It still fits in the traditional spot with slipcover in place.

Hank and Pat Clow
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we too had a cushioned sunbrella cover for our porta-potti.
It was placed in a bracket behind the driver's seat. The blue bimini was enclosed in canvas with two drop down curtains, one at the rear of the solid cabin and one at the rear of the canvas bimini. We had, in essence, a head compartment on a 16 footer. It worked well.!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: