The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

possible new owner of cd-19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamer*69

City/Region: DULUTH
State or Province: MN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: possible new owner of cd-19 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I currently own a 2013 Ranger Tugs R 27 classic and am selling it to downsize. It has been an incredible boat and have explored all of Lake Superior and much of the Lake Huron North Channel and the Trent-Severn waterway over the past four years. We spent 82 days on it during one trip. Amazingly comfortable and seaworthy--but just getting too big as I age. It is advertised as "trailerable" but still is a big boat.

I've been looking at the new CD 19 angler and love the pics of it snugged up on a beach and it being towed by something much less formidable than my Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel. We are considering the CD 19 because we like to fish, but even more so like to cruise and explore and visit many other bodies of water easily (trailering and launching). And we like to "camp" overnight sometimes on the boat. Is the CD 19 compatible with doing a few simple overnights on board? Is it comfy for cruising several hours a day? Can the cabin be enclosed and/or is there a bimini available that can fully enclose the aft deck? Etc. . . . .

Anyway, the 19 angler seems like a great little boat for fishing, cruising, trailering, launching, and "camping.". I really don't want to go up to the 22' and look forward to any advice you may have. (I have been a member of Tugnuts and always appreciated being apart of that. I am now looking forward to being of part of C-Brats.) Thanks all.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going down from a 27 to a 19 is a big step. If you're intend to use the boat for camping, why not the 22? More space for little weight increase and just as easy to tow and launch.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First welcome aboard. The 19 or the 22 will do what you want. Many buy the 19 then go to the 22. As Boris says, there is little weight difference, or length difference (3'); 3 feet pulled out of the middle of the boat.. There is the dinette and galley on the 22. But plenty of folks overnight on the 19. The beam and hull form are the same, You will have jugs of water and no sink. Stove on a table of some sort. But the bunk is the same.

Yes, you can get a soft "aft bulkhead"--(some boats have even had a hard aft bulkhead) in the 19. Any good canvas shop can make a camper back for either a 19 or 22--and the cost will be about the same for the 19 or 22. The camper back is almost a must in your country. Get good zip out or zip up windows and leave the 'No see um" screens fixed.

Be aware that the C Dory are a low dead rise boats. To go into chop, you need to put the bow down, and reduce the speed. I feel that both a foil (permatrim) and trim tabs are necessary to get the best ride. It will not have the ride of the Ranger "tug" 27. But it is a very simple and easy to maintain boat...vs the Ranger "Tug" series. This is why I have stuck with the C Dory over the Ranger series. There are plenty of C Dory both 19 and 22 in your area. But finding one for sale, may be a challenge, unless you are willing to drive a bit. I have obtained each of my boats at least 1000 miles from my home (except the Tom cat 255, which was new.

Good boats often sell fast. So be prepared to move if you find a boat you like.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dreamer*69

City/Region: DULUTH
State or Province: MN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fellas (I re-posted this on the general chat which is were I meant for it go).

You have me thinking now. Is the 22 EASILY manageable by one person for launching and pull out (I've done it with my R 27 but am looking to avoid those days)? Any issues having the head in the v-berth, under the bed? ( At my age, you have heard I imagine what our nightly routines are like Wink) And it looks like there is no forward facing seat for a companion on the port side? And is it towable using an SUV say like a Toyota 4 Runner?

Thanks.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 22 is manageable as the 19, maybe slightly less windage. I managed the 25 solo behind a 30 foot RV when I was about 70 years old. (84 now, it is best to have a "mate", but I could do it still.).

The proti potty. There is an option of using a urinal and disposing properly in the AM,or into the porti potty. Some take the portipotty to the cockpit--and a few even have made a "privacy curtain" for it. Not hard to do.

The "Barber" seat, is a sliding front seat which allows forward facing. This is an option--I think it started in about the 2002 era. However my wife has always preferred a rear front facing seat--from the C Dory 22 on up to 62 foot pilot house motor sailer. The reason is that she has a slightly better ride and then she has a table to put her book or binoculars etc on. If we have a navigational issue, often I will put the radar on the I pad, and she can watch it, and I can be eyes on the water. Even in our 25, we keep the front seat permanently facing aft.

There are folks towing 22's with the Toyota 4 Runner? Current seem to be about 5,000#. The weight of a 22 will be in the 4500 # range plus or minus. I towed my first 22 some with a Honda Pilot (2000 vintage), with a tow capacity of 5,000 (boat). I felt better towing with larger vehicle...But should be fine for most distances.--especially in your area, not having long steep grades...as in the Rocky's
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what the others have said. I have had my 19 for about 12 years. I use it for fishing , grabbing and shrimping. some times I go by my self and sometimes with 1 or 2 others but if I were overnighting or if my wife wanted to go, I would trade it for a 22.
The 19 is easy to launch and retrieve. When launching, just back in until your trailer fenders go under water and the boat will float of the trailer easily. Your back tires will probably be just touching the water on most ramps and I will have tied the bow line to my truck boat rack so the boat won't float away. When retrieving, just back in until your trailer fenders are just under water and take the bow line and step off the dock unto your truck tail gate and pull the boat up to the stop and click it in and go. You will have to step out onto the trailer tongue. My truck boat rack makes a good grab rail. If I have a friend with me, I just sit in the truck for a minute or two and then go. The 22 should launch and retrieve just as easy as the 19.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer*69 wrote:
Thanks, fellas (I re-posted this on the general chat which is were I meant for it go).

You have me thinking now. Is the 22 EASILY manageable by one person for launching and pull out (I've done it with my R 27 but am looking to avoid those days)? Any issues having the head in the v-berth, under the bed? ( At my age, you have heard I imagine what our nightly routines are like Wink) And it looks like there is no forward facing seat for a companion on the port side? And is it towable using an SUV say like a Toyota 4 Runner?

Thanks.

Yes, the 22 is easily single handed. Have been doing mine now for 15 years. Single handing about 95% of the time, trailering about 50%, North end of Vancouver Island to San Francisco Bay and Delta. Many of the 22's come with a reversable seat, much the same as in the Ranger. It is towable with your 2500 or with most "half ton" pickups. The 22 on a trailer will come in at about 5,000, boat and trailer. It will feel like half the boat of the Ranger, until ypu are inside at the helm. Then you will feel like you have the world of water by the tail. Find one and get a ride. Might not be so easy to do with the Covid stuff going on, but it could still be done. Best in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: