The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Experience with CUTWATERS??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverexplorer

City/Region: Oxford
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: River Horse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Experience with CUTWATERS?? Reply with quote

I was wondering if those who have Rangers---have any experience with their sister make of boat- Cutwater?

There are of course some differences between the two makes and some similarities as well it seems---at least from the brochures and websites of both lines of boats.

I am sure that the one thing they do have in common----is what appears to be good quality.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Cutwaters Reply with quote

My friend just bought a 24ft Solara Cutwater 2016 . Its a very deep v hull boat .It runs Great through the chop but is very very tippy when getting on and off the boat. So much so that Cutwater changed the bottom hull design in 2017 to a Cutwater 242 It has less of a deep v design 11 degree deadrise .
Test Drive all boats that you would like to own Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rangers and Cutwaters are a different level of interior complexity. The inboard diesels have their own issues, including the stuffing box, access to engine parts and speeds Note that most new Ranger Tugs are outboard: there is a reason! I have owned a number of inboard diesels, and at this point of life appreciate the simplicy of an outboard. The shoal draft and economy of fuel are also important to me. If I was to choose a Ranger Tug, it would be the 27 with the largest diesel engine available.

Try the heads in the smaller Cutwaters, and outboard Rangers (as well as the Rosborough 246 before making up your mind. Some of the best advice you have been given is to do sea trials on the various boats If you are ever up near Pensacola I would be happy to give a ride in the C Dory 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a bunch of them on the water. Seems they are the folks that tug speed is too slow for.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of Cutwaters in the PNW. A friend of a friend chartered a Cutwater 32 out of Bellingham and we ran across them in Prevost Harbor. I will say that they're set up to be a fancy cruising boat. There's no discussion about what size nav screen you get, it's a 12". They have slideout seats in at least 3 different places. There's a lot of amenities in the cabin, more than we're used to.

We also looked at a 24 in Bellingham, or at least Judy did. It had 2 each 150 Suzukis on the rear. It appeared to be a deep V. A very fancy boat, in a different class from the C-Dory. It was priced differently from the C-Dory, too.

Also noticed that they will lift the 24 in and out at the hoist in Cap St Marie.

They used to have diesel engines, but for marketing reasons (I guess) they're now using outboards. There is a heck of a difference between diesel and gas, but i would guess it keeps to price down.

Boris
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, never seen or heard of one with twins before, I wonder how they finagled that?
It is interesting to compare the Cutwater 242 and Ranger R-23. The C gets 100 extra horsepower, goes faster with about the same mpg, and a few extras like fold-out bow seating and a TV in the berth. The R gets a nicer looking interior, more skylights, and a bigger swim platform. They share many components and design elements and they both sell for about the same price.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outboard can give you easier maintenance. Also, the place where the inboard engine used to go often becomes a big storage space, which is handy on these smaller boats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: