View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: WHY????? Reply with quote

Why do so many C-Dory boats have Raymarine electronics???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that Garmin is the most popular over all. My current boat hss recent RayMarine. It is not quite as intuitive as Garmin, but far better than the RayMarine of 10 years ago. I would not have purchased RayMarine for some period of time. However Since FLIR purchased the company both the quality, innovation and support has improved significantly.

OFten boaters go with what a dealer recommends (or gets the best deals on). Electronics are always an option--not so on Ranger Tugs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dory was at their peak of production in the 2006 to 2008 time frame. The factory at that time was recommending Raymarine. Only makes sense that most boats from that era would be Raymarine equipped. Even though we are no longer cruising, when I added a chartplotter/sounder to the boat we bought two years ago, I picked out a Raymarine unit. I was happy with ours in the C-Dory, and happy with this smaller unit, too.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is a Software Engineer. We bought Raymarine because on the showroom floor it was so naturally easy for her to navigate through all the screens. My wife said the interface is designed as she would have designed it and it is easy for her to use. I like it too from the perspective of just recently learning how to use a touch screen on a smart phone.
Riverexplorer

City/Region: Oxford
Vessel Name: River Horse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Hello--my first post here.. Reply with quote

So far I have not yet gotten a C-Dory but am looking at doing so---I live about 30 miles from the only dealer of the boats in Florida---Three Rivers Marine in Homosassa/Crystal River, Florida area.

Along with deciding upon which type of engine make to go with--the dealer of course offers what seems to be the OB of choice for C-Dory's---Honda, but also offer Suzuki and they are now powering many of the boats they sell with Suzuki's----but which engine make to us---is a topic for another discussion---my question is here----what is the feeling, experiences, etc with rigging with SIMRAD electronics?? GARMIN, RayMarine, others???

I really think I am going to so with a full SIMRAD 4G package with one addition--a FLIR unit.

Thoughts---thanks guys..

When it comes to past boats and electronic gear--a few years ago I sold a really big boat--a 70' Monticello River Yacht--a version of one of those big lake houseboats that are made down around the Cumberland Lake area in Kentucky----with Monticellos having been designed to run the rivers. It was made in 2003 and had a Raymarine unit from that time--it was an OK unit but had we kept the boat--I was going to do a total electronic package update including putting AIS on it that would provide both transmitting and receiving since I was one of the biggest boats on the river other than river tows, local tour riverboats and the times that the big passenger boats came through. By the time we bought the boat in 2010---that Raymarine unit was already an out of date, "dinosaur."

We docked and operated the boat on the Ohio River out of Cincinnati.

It is so hard to keep up with advancing tech when it comes to all makes and models of marine electronics and navigation equipment.

With the 4G Broadband technology--I know that they offer really wonderful close in target painting----all around the boat.

That Raymarine unit was OK out on the open river---but it had a terrible blind spot aft of the boat----something that they say that is not the case with broadband radar units--and along with that--their dangerous energy output is nil--unlike even the standard band HD radars of other makers.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James is right. The timing. And Garmin was just coming into it's prime as that time period closed. FLIR took over Raymarine, improved everything, and Garmin has become more popular and affordable. My 2005 CD22 has RayMarine, but I chose to have a Garmin for backup to my plotter, and I don't have a Garmin VHF, just Raymarine (quit working a couple of trips back) and ICOM and Standard Horizon. Not sure which VHF will go into the #3 slot yet.

Garmin is more user friendly, but Raymarine is a longtime standard that has served me well (as far as the chart plotter and radar go).

I have looked at electronics with the idea that I will put in whatever does what I want it to do best. AIS is VISION; multiplexer is Simrad; AP, Sounder and plotter are all RAymarine.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverexplorer: All of the major electronics companies offer digital "broad band" radar now. I have the RayMarine version and have played with the Garmin and Furuno versions--all are good and better than the "HD" for short range. The RayMarine seems to have better resolution and discrimination at a distance, than the Navico line. Look at all brands side by side before making your decision.

All of the engines are good. There are some strong points for each brand--and it depends on what boat you are buying as to the best engine brand..On our Tom Cat, The Suzuki's were faster than the Honda's because of gear ratios and props which could be used--but part depends on dialing in the prop, engine height etc. Also consider dealer support after sale where you boat.

FLIR is nice if you do a lot of night running. Check the screen resolution as well as image size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: