The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim paint color fade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agitator

City/Region: Gold Beach
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: JonnyLaura
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Trim paint color fade Reply with quote

Hi everyone just joined and already searching for a few things on my 06’ 22foot angler. It looks like the the trim color on top,side and bottom is a light gray. I would like to repaint the side stripe the same as it came with but don’t know the color code or name. How do I find out? I don’t think it’s blue faded to gray but anything is possible. Also the Wallas heater Manuel states to use mineral spirits- seems kind of flammable to me would there be a better alternative? Just bought this boat 2 months ago and already thinking about cruising the inside passage next summer!
And then I’m thinking Bimini top or full cabin in rear with maybe a seat that drops out of way. I suppose very costly Thank a bunch jon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 2006 boat, you should be able to wet sand out the oxidation of the grey gel coat, and bring it back. Work up to at least 2000 grit--some go to 6000, before using heavy duty rubbing compound by 3 M. Then use Collinite Fleet wax. An alternative is to wet sand and compound and then use "polyglow" if it is still faded. This is along time commitment, to use it at least yearly re-coats.

Full Camper back, Trim tabs, Permatrim are all almost essentials for extended cruising.

Mineral spirits are very close to "Kleen Heat" which is highly refined Kerosene. Which model stove do you have? Check with Scan Marine about alternate fuels.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: paint the colpr strip Reply with quote

jon......

A friend and neighbor of mine repainted his stripes on his 1996 C-Dory. It was dark blue and he repainted it bright red.
It looks excellent and has lasted over 15 yrs.

Good luck

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Agitator

City/Region: Gold Beach
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: JonnyLaura
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I appreciate your info. The heater I have is a single burner 800/220 and it looks like it’s all there except the tank-bottle. it has a pick up tube with a spring on the end for some reason. Got it on the wet sanding trim also-thanks
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try 3M Marine Restorer and Wax. It contains rubbing compound as well as wax and does a really good job on heavily oxidized surfaces. It takes quite a bit of effort but it restores and waxes at the same time so when you're done, you're done.

I have used it on older, extremely weathered gelcoat and it really brought the color and shine back to life. Try it on a small area and if it isn't doing enough you can always go with the wet sanding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: