View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: What VHF Do You Have Now and Why Reply with quote

I have had 3 VHF radios on SleepyC for the last 6 years, ICOM M506, Raymarine 218, and a Standard Horizon 2150. All 3 have equal functions except for AIS recieve. The RM 218 does not have that. Each one is different and has it's own merits and minus's. The oldest one is the RM 218, which has been my favorite for being able to quickly switch to hailer/fog functions in 2 button pushes. I use the listen back feature frequently when entering a harbor. Rarely use the hailer function.

Well, the RM 218 has lost the radio receive function recently. All the other functions still work but.... it is going to be replaced. I have often said if I had to replace a radio it would be with the ICOM M-506. I love that radio for everything except one thing, it does not have a face cover for it. I like to keep everything covered when the boat is not in use, (moving - so even at the dock), so for that reason alone, I am considering other options for a replacement.

Therefore, I am interested in what VHF you are using, and what you like and/or dislike about your radio. Thank you for your input.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BuildItOnce

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Puzzle Piece
Photos: Puzzle Piece
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Interesting thread you've started. Looking forward to hearing replies.

Not only am I new to the c-brat community and c-dory boats, but I'm also new to VHF radio. My other boat is a 16' duroboat that I've owned for around 7 years. I didn't have any sort of radio on the duroboat, so having a VHF on our C-dory is new to me. I've done some reading on the net about using a VHF and general radio etiquette, but I still have a lot more to learn. Would you mind sharing what you use your various radios for? Channels you use? Features you really like having?

We have a basic West Marine VHF580 in our boat and I've wondered what the more advanced radios might give me.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use a VHf is to call for bridge openings and the rare times I stay at marinas to call for my slip assignment. Although cell phone works better for the latter use- if they answer.

So my useage is all short range and a portable hand held works fine.

I keep a portable on a charger ready to go when I need it, but not on all of the time. I have a Standard Horizon HX280S.

David
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
I have two fixed mount VHF's - both are Std. Horizon models. One is the 2200 with AIS and GPS the other is (I believe) a 2100 which has AIS but not it's own GPS. Each is hooked into an independent chart plotter (with the chart plotter proving the coordinates to the older radio). As to why, Std. Horizon has a good reputation for long term reliability and I wanted AIS. When I first bought, the GPS/AIS capable units were not yet out. When I got the second one, I bought with the GPS just to make life easier and in case of a plot charter/communication failure it still shows my position and the relative position of other boats on it's display.

I also have a couple of rechargeable handhelds on board and they are always fully charged when we leave the dock.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Standard Horizon 1600. I got it mostly because at the time it was the only radio that was a lot smaller than others in its class, and a 22 cruiser does not have an overabundance of space at the helm. Standard Horizon also has a very good reputation. I could have gone for the 1700 for the built in GPS, but I have two GPS systems on the boat (0183 and 2000) and didn't see the need for a third. I just hooked into the 0183 data.

Now there are other radios in the smaller size.

I only use it to call marinas, locks, and bridges. For marinas a cell phone often works better.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowrance Link 8 fan here...with a couple caveats.

If you've a modern N2K backbone, it's a drop-dead simple install with full AIS capabilities. Power, antenna, one cable plugged into the N2K hub and everything just works. Performance is excellent, nice display, and I've found the features quite intuitive.

The other caveat - it does NOT have integrated GPS. So, if you are looking for an all-in-one AIS solution or wish to have additional GPS redundancy in your N2K network - it won't provide that.

Have one on each of my boats, one tied into a Simrad NSS evo2, the other into a Garmin 74sv. Again, plug and play on both. Price is nice too.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fixed and handheld radios. A cover can be made from fabric and elastic cord.
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What VHF Do You Have Now and Why Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
...I have often said if I had to replace a radio it would be with the ICOM M-506. I love that radio for everything except one thing, it does not have a face cover for it. ...SleepyC Moon

Google says a Standard Horizon cover fits the ICOM radio.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/current-topics-gc6/general-boating-topics-gc9/248858-icom-m506-cover-vhf-radio-gctid679630

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-Dust-Cover-for-Fixed-Mount-VHF-P2721.aspx

I also noticed that one of the available accessories for the ICOM radio is a voice scrambler unit. Are you up to something? Wink
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH 2150 that I like. (Next radio will be the 2200, since it has it's own GPS). I have also used it's fog horn feature through a loudhailer I also installed. I do make calls to other boats & commercial traffic. The first for general conversation, the second for navigational arrangements. Lock masters and marinas are also hailed. My old standby I mostly use for shortrange is a SH Eclipse+. I like the scan and dual watch features on both radios. Lastly, a Uniden Handheld, mostly for coordination with other boats coming into the dock when I'm already on the dock, or to monitor traffic when I'm either on the boat with it shut down, or on the dock. Only the 2150 has DSC and AIS. I'm fine with that. Colby
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned two Standard Horizon fixed mount marine VHF radios and four of their handhelds. They have all been excellent. But, I have to say that the later versions of both handheld and fixed mount radios are even better because SH has simplified the menus for both. It’s easier now to find and use the different features. I’m sure the Icoms and others are excellent as well. But SH seems to always have the best prices.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. No-one mentions VHF performance but instead concentrates on peripheral features. One may assume this is where the difference in VHF radios lies.

A friend of mine, in Lummi Island, bought a high end ICOM VHF fixed mount radio, complete with AIS receive. Comparing the VHF specs with that radio with a cheap Standard Horizon radio give similar performance results:
Sensitivity
20 dB SINAD...........................................0.03 microV
20 dB SINAD (70 channel receiver)........0.03 microV
Squelch Sensivity (Threshold)................0.25 microV
Modulation Acceptance Bandwidth.......+7.5 KHz
Selectivity
Spurious and Image Rejection.................-70 dB
Intermod and Rejection @12 dB SINAD..-70db

So, buying a new VHF for improved performance is not spending your money wisely. Selecting a new VHF for it's functions other than as a radio makes sense. As does upgrading the VHF cable between the antenna and radio.

Anyway there you are.

Boris
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Uniden UM415 for $100
http://www.uniden.info/download/ompdf/UM415om.pdf

English
General
Shock and Vibration
Meets or exceeds EIA standards, RS152B and
RS204C
FCC Approvals
Type accepted under part 80 of the Rules; meets Great
Lakes Agreement and party boat requirements
Transmitter
Power Output
1 watt or 25 watt (user selectable)
Power Requirement
25 watts output: 6A@13.8V DC
Modulation
±5 kHz deviation
Hum and Noise Signal-to-
Noise
45 dB@1 kHz with 3 kHz deviation with 1000 Hz
modulating frequency (nominal)
Audio Distortion
Less than 8% with 3 kHz deviation with 1000 Hz
modulating frequency
Spurious Suppression
–25 dBm @ Hi, –25 dBm @ Lo
Output Power Stabilization
Built-in automatic level control (ALC)
Frequency Range
156 to 158 MHz
Frequency Stability
±10 ppm @ –20°C to + 50°C
Receiver
Frequency Range
156 to 163 MHz
Sensitivity
0.25 μV for 12 dB SINAD (nominal)
Circuit
Dual Conversion Super Heterodyne PLL (Crystal for
DSC)
Squelch Sensitivity
0.2 μV Threshold
Spurious Response
75 dB (nominal)
Adjacent Channel Selectivity
78 dB @ ±25 kHz (nominal)
Audio Output Power
2.5 watts (10% Distortion, 8 Ω load)
Power Requirement
360 mA @ 13.8V DC at squelched, 920 mA @ 13.8V
DC at maximum audio output
IF Frequencies
1st 41.925 MHz, 2n
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that a lot of the recreational class marine VHF radios use the same (or a limited) number of receiver electronics OEM'd by some place in China. So all the receiver specs are pretty much the same. There are also radio specs specified by marine authorities and/or FCC that must be complied with if you want that stamp of approval. This results in radio receive/xmit performance that are practically identical to all radios and are a given.

The only differentiators between radios are additional feature set, control layout, reliability, and customer service. Even the feature set is also pretty much the same between radios in the same class.

Like a lot of electronics these days, recreational boat radios are basically commodity products.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. West Marine VHF radios are on sale (ends today). 20% off.
Riverexplorer

City/Region: Oxford
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: River Horse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with SIMRAD VHFs??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: