View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: AC Plug Arcing Reply with quote

Hey Guys - could use some help!

I've been to the marina and fished three times in 7 days.

Day 1 - the shore power was off. I reset the breaker and all good
Day2 - I heard some acting (cracking noise) when I turned on the AC after plugging in the shore power. No smoke, no heat at the plug. I figure there was some moister on the plug that arched.
Day 3 - Much more aching heard after plugging in. Some smoke observed. No moister seen. I wiped male and female plug, tried again, same cracking sounds. When manipulating the plug, more cracking. Tried the neighbors plug, same thing. I left it unplugged!

My tomcat is a 2006. Anyone experience this?

Time to replace the boat plug?

Please advise

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie-

This a common and very dangerous problem that has been discussed at length before on this site.

The common Marinco 30 amp shore power cord set and inlet plug on boats frequently arc and cause boat fires.

Probably the best solution is to convert the female end of the shore power cord and the inlet plug/receptacle on the boat to a newer design coupling called a SmartPlug.

Using our search engine, search for "SmartPlug" and check out the most likely sounding discussions.

In the meantime, be careful with your shore power connection or don't use it at all. A disastrous fire to your boat and perhaps a whole marina could be very close at hand!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Marinco arced and took out my battery charger. I could see black marks on the female plug of the shore power cord. Replaced the boat side with SmartPlug. One of the best things I've done to the boat.
Westie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!

Is this the right kit?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smartplug--30a-combo-white-plastic-inlet-and-connector--17415258?recordNum=1
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: TC255 Reply with quote

Westie,
Your TomCat deserves the best:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/smartplug-dual-configuration-50-ft-cordset-and-30-amp-shore-power-inlet-kit-c30503-bm30s

Although cutting your existing cord and replacing the end piece is cheaper, it's a bit tricky, less waterproof and tends to work loose after a few years. Their molded cord is better with an incredible 7 year warranty. Smartplug replaced my entire50 ft cord under warranty when the blue LED died, free shipping.

Every owner should consider replacing their boatside shorepower connector with a Smartplug if it's over a few years old. 4 screws and 3 wire connections, easy. At the very least, disassemble your Marinco connection and check the pin connections for blackening and looseness periodically. You'll get tired of that pretty soon.

John

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the kit and retrofitted my (yellow) Marinco cord. Hardest part was sliding the rubber sleeve over the cord on the plug end: it took some hand strength. And I had to do it twice, since we have a 6' cord for our gen-set. The rest of the install process is simply two color-coded wires and screws. Easy.

I bought it on Amazon. Less $$$.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop around, you can find it cheaper than WM. I replaced the boat socket and the plug ends on both my 30 amp cord and the 120 adapter (for a regular line cord).

The hardest part is getting the 30 amp cord through the boot on the plug. The instructions say to use dish soap. While this allows the cord to go through, it also ends up making everything else slippery too.

If you have an existing Marinco socket on the boat, you'll have to square off the hole a bit to get the SmartPlug socket in place. I seem to recall that the screw holes are different too.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while fishing this last week at the Everett Coho Derby I left my boat plugged into the dock. When I can to the boat in the morning the dock side of the cord was unplugged ans tossed in the water. Great and thank you to the asshat that did it. I moved on ans fished.

When I got home at the end of the day and plugged in my shore power at the house, as I always do, with a different cord made just for this I lost the GFI in a puff of smoke. Not sure if the first thing lead to the second as it was a different cord but it happened. I have a GFI on the boat for this reason. Everyone should have a breaker of some sort. I replaced the GFI and pulled the boat side receptacle and cleaned it. Undid all the connections and cleaned greased with dielectric grease. I use this in all my connections on the boats. downrigger plugs and any splices make on the boat or car. I then soaked the cord end that was in the water with wd40 to clean it out. its not the type I can take apart.
If you clean every thing up you will be fine. replacing with the smart plug is great but yearly cleaning of your current system should be fine. and add a GFI or breaker.

Westie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I found a new cord and inlet for $310 on amazon. Seems easiest. I don't want to mess with electric issues!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY DANGEROUS INDEED....I'm at my marina 365 days a year now and I unplug my cord every couple of days to check both ends for burning.

These issues don't arise overnight or out of the blue. They get a little worse every day until the WORST happens (unless caught by a vigilant owner). Good job sir on catching it and taking action.

Now that I'm a full time liveaboard these issues are very important to me. Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: