The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer rollers to bunks conversion....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Trailer rollers to bunks conversion.... Reply with quote

I have an EZ loader single axle for my 22 cruiser with rollers. Im tired of the constant roller maintenance and scratches caused by them. I like the idea of carpet bunks, along with the boat being a little bit lower as it sits on the trailer, not having to back in as far and getting less wet at every launch. It would also make for less needed height when I build a boat shed in the near future. Have any of you done this conversion? Im mostly interested in seeing the ideal positions people have put their bunks for this boat and or similar trailer. Any suggestions? Thank you
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I understand some of your reasons for converting, but not all

With rollers you can back in part way, hook up, pull out until the boat is partially supported on the rollers, then pull the boat further up on the rollers. With bunks you pretty much have to float it into the final position. Maybe the extra height of rollers makes up some of the difference, but overall you will probably have to back in further with bunks.

Most people go the other way. But I understand you have your reasons.

David
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Meares. You are on point with your ideas, AFAIK. Look for a Pacific tandem trailer, then lower the bunks 3 inches. My tires now stay dry when I launch and retrieve. OR, if you order a new trailer from Pacific, have them lower the bunks from the get go.

David, Before I lowered my bunks I almost always had to winch the boat up into place about the last 3 feet, on the bunks with the boat in the water, doable relatively easily with a 2 speed hand winch.

Now, the boat floats off easily when the tires are just at the water line, and when loading I usually stop short of putting the back truck tires at the water line, choosing to winch the boat the last foot or so rather than have it float all the way and bump anywhere on the winch post.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bunks are fully submerged when loading and unloading. Unloading may require a bit of a tug on the stern line to get the boat off (depending on the angle of the ramp).

When loading the boat is floated forward using lines from the dock until the bows stops on the front bunks. It usually requires winching the boat up about a foot and a half or so to get the bow eye in the right place. The back of the boat is usually floating until the trailer comes out of the water (have to check that the boat lands right as the trailer is pulled out).

I have no issue winching the boat up on the wet bunks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: