View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Kyuquot Sound adventure Reply with quote

I just finished my "sort of" circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. Kyuquot Sound was the last part of the west coast of the island that I hadn't been to.

We launched at Fair Harbour to spend 10 days on Kyuquot, Checleset Bay, and north to the Brooks Peninsula. The Forest Service road in from the paved highway is sometimes called "gravel," but the term "gravel road" actually means something and the road to Fair Harbour doesn't meet that definition in many areas. More accurately, it may have "once been a gravel road" or it is "partly a gravel road," but fairly large sections are realistically what is called an "improved dirt road." Several sections were undergoing repair/modifications and delays were standard. Figure more than two hours for the 42 mile drive in. Several sections are one lane with turnouts.

Fair Harbour is essentially a trailer that serves as the harbormaster's office, store, and fuel station. There is a mosquito ridden camping area that is mostly used for people parking boat trailers. That is the "secure" parking area. Ask in the store and you will be told that all other parking is reserved. Ask a local and you will be told that you can park wherever you want. The choice is yours.

I had originally intended to take my two 6 gallon deck tanks in addition to my 23 gallon built-in. Then I read in the Don Douglass book that fuel was available at Kyuquot, so I left them behind. I didn't double check availability and, sure enough, Kyuquot hasn't had fuel for over 10 years. Our trips to the outlying areas in Checleset Bay were at hull speed with one eye always on the fuel gauge. As it turned out, it didn't matter that much because the upper reaches of the Malksope and Ououkinish Inlets were shrouded in smoke from the 60+ forest fires burning on Vancouver Island. We stayed mainly out in the bay around the Acous Peninsula and the Bunsby Islands.

With our sightseeing choices limited, we started fishing. I found a lodge that would process our catch and I could "run a tab" and simply pick up everything sealed and frozen on the last day. As it turned out, the lodge had an open day when guests had just left but the new guests weren't arriving for a day. We spent one night at the lodge with hot showers and meals with the guides and the owner's family.

Fishing was hot and cold. One day I had my limit of chinook (2), coho (2), rockfish (3) and ling (2). The next day we targeted salmon and got skunked. We still got plenty of fish and have no complaints about the fishing. Guides were bringing in nice halibut, but they were catching them 12 miles offshore. No thanks, not in a 16' boat with no kicker.

Kyuquot definitely has the most remote feeling of any of the west coast sounds. Part of that is probably because of the new fishing closures. The fishing boats (and not that many of them) are concentrated around Walters Cove, which remains open. With fishing closed in much of Checleset Bay and the inlets, there was no traffic of any kind. It is supposed to be a kayaker's paradise and I can see why. But we didn't see another boat, not even a kayak, for three days around the Acous Peninsula.

The numbers are 297 statute miles traveled in 56 hours for an average speed of 4.4 knots. Lots of miles covered at hull speed and below while trolling. Fuel was 5.24 miles per gallon. Because fuel was only available at Fair Harbour, leaving the fishing grounds to refuel meant burning 3 gallons to Fair Harbour and 3 gallons to get back out (I should have set my fuel monitor system to liters and saved myself some math at the fuel dock). Fuel was $1.49 per liter.

10 days for two in a CD 16 was plenty, but now that I've been back for two days, had a shave, a shower, and a cold beer, I'm ready to go back. Pictures are in my photo album.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Mark. Thanks for sharing. Looks like an interesting place. Colby
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
As always I'm so impressed by the places you choose to visit in your 16! I really appreciate the commentary with the pictures. Its great.
Cheers
Ron
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, superb photos. That CD 16 is the perfect vessel for those small anchorages and off the beach lunch stops. You guys know how to do it. Very surprised you did not see lots of sea kayakers. Very popular for kayaks.

Amongst sea kayakers, the road to Fair Harbour is known as a vehicle beater ... and that is for passenger vehicles sans trailers. Definitely out there.

No surprise Kyuquot was short on services.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- Beautiful photos. The following one could be a photo contest winner!

Thanks!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:

Amongst sea kayakers, the road to Fair Harbour is known as a vehicle beater ... and that is for passenger vehicles sans trailers. Definitely out there.

I've had flat tires when I used to white water kayak on Vancouver Island, so I went as prepared as I could. I have a spare for the trailer and the car, plus I took a portable air tank with 120 psi and a can of "flat fixer" goop that supposedly can seal a tire.

On the way in to Fair Harbour, we only had one vehicle pass us, a black Mercedes SUV. 40 minutes later we passed him at the side of the road. My wife looked back and saw that he was changing a tire. Maybe he picked up that chunk of metal before we got there.

We saw lots of kayakers at Spring Island and Rugged Point. It was odd that as calm as it was nobody was making the passage to the Bunsbys and beyond.

I took an air nozzle for the tank and used some of the air before we launched. The boat had a heavy layer of dust on it from the drive in. I blew it all off so that it didn't make mud during the trip. It drew some odd looks at the boat launch but worked great.

There is water available for a washdown after take out, but it is from a spring and this time of year there is just a trickle. Not enough pressure to squirt the cabin top. Hardly worth the effort. Make sure that you turn it completely off or they don't have enough pressure to make a pot of coffee at the store.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Nice write up and great photos. You do use that 16 to it's full potential, and some ingenuity too -- the air tank wash down. Good job. I always like to hear about Vancouver Island, so thanks for sharing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: