View previous topic :: View next topic  
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: fuel additives Reply with quote

one other thing that I do is to add Marvel Mystery Oil. The thing that this does is to provide an "oil" to the gas to both give more lube to the rings, but coats the aluminum parts in the fuel system (carbs) with the oil, which helps inhibit the oxidation of aluminum when the fuel sits in the carb bowls and other parts. I also mostly run non-ethanol fuel and use marine stabil in the gas. I also drain the carb bowls when the motor sits for an extended time, such as over the winter. I started doing this when I noticed that the two strokes with fuel oil mixes did not seem to oxidize the aluminum in the carbs, and showed pretty clean systems compared to the 4 stroke without the oil. I realize that the jets in the 2 strokes were larger also, so jet plugging is less with these motors, but the small kickers still have pretty small openings. All these things help prevent the plugged jets -- something that can destroy a motor if it is running with a lean running cylinder(s) or one that is getting no fuel at all.
BuildItOnce

City/Region: Poulsbo
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Puzzle Piece
Photos: Puzzle Piece
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busski wrote:
Ah the dreaded fuel delivery problem on carb’d Hondas. , I believe your fuel pumps need replacing.

Best way to test it: If a partner pumps the bulb does the engine start running like a champ? Above a certain RPM does the engine keep in chuff? Is it primarily when accelerating from 2k RPM to 4K RPM that the engine chokes and dies?

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/846293-honda-bf90a-fuel-pump.html

Yeah, it only happens when I start throttling up and it hits about 2.2K ... if I go too fast past 2.2K it chokes and dies... unless I back off the throttle quickly.. then I can catch it and keep it from dying. Once I let it sit at 2.2K for some seconds I can throttle up and normally have no issues. Every once in a while the RPM needle will start bouncing around up high, but usually that doesn't happen. Once beyond 2.2K it normally runs great.

I swapped out the fuel line and primer bulb the other day and took the boat out... it seemed to be behaving a little bit better, but the problem persists... when I got out this weekend I'll do a bunch of testing and have someone pump the bulb continuously while I try to see if I can make the problem happen.... much thanks for the fuel pump suggestion and info... I am thinking this is probably the issue too. If pumping the bulb does the trick then I'll just go ahead and order a pump.. maybe a second to have on hand in case the other motor ever develops the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: