The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A not yet C Brat---but soon will be

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverexplorer

City/Region: Oxford
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: River Horse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: A not yet C Brat---but soon will be Reply with quote

Ok all---just wanted to introduce myself---I am a lifelong boater--going back to the days I was just starting to walk, my dad bought our first family boat way back in the early 60s--he found an old woody Chris Craft straight inboard cruiser that he bought from someone up on Lake Erie in northern Ohio.

We never did boat on the Great Lakes, but living in southern Ohio then---he took it to Cincinnati and we ran the Ohio River. I basically became a "river rat" early on but since then---I have boated in all kinds of places from a mid-sized "inland lake" in Ohio, to the coastal waters of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

I really took a big leap when I did my "boating" on big white ships with a red and blue stripe up at the bow and the big black letters too that said: COAST GUARD. I mostly served aboard a now long gone class of Coast Guard Cutters, the old 95' WPB Cape class boats--most of them long ago went to the scrap yard or lie buried off some coastline serving as artificial reefs. A Sea Scout group on the US west coast does have an old 95 in service as an educational platform.

I served aboard Cutters out of Key West and Miami Beach and got to run waters from about as far north as North Carolina, most of the Gulf of Mexico, the Bahamas and on down to as far south as Grenada down in the Caribbean when my first boat---the Cape Fox out of Key West was sent to take part in "Operation Urgent Fury" the US invasion of that island ordered by President Reagan to oust a communist overthrow of that island's government back in late 1983.

I have on my own had a number of boats ranging from a sister boat to "Sonny Crockett's" Wellcraft Scarab, "Go Fast" boat featured for most of the run of the old TV series "Miami Vice" to pontoon boats and for a really big one---a river going houseboat we ran on the Ohio River out of Cincinnati.

Even though I now live down in Central Florida, I still "have business to attend to" when it comes to the Ohio River--as in even though I have spent most of the time running only a few small sections of the river----pretty much in the McAlpin, Markland and Mehldahl "pools" above each of those respective USACE lock and damns covering from Louisville up to around Maysville, KY. I am going to run the entire length of that river--a trip long postponed, delayed and so on that never happened even though planned many times.

I intend upon FINALLY----running every bit of the Ohio River and even though the Monticello was a really nice way to run the river----it had big GAS engines that for a boat that size-----just loved to EAT GAS!! Those babies just screamed when they were running: FEED US!! FEEEED US!!

It was comfortable to be on the river in what is a movable house---it had a full sized kitchen--not galley--full sized bathrooms--two of them no less, sat TV and so much more.

It was great for having large parties aboard---we often entertained family, friends and did lots of "charitable cruises" for various groups like the American Heart Association, cancer groups and so on---taking three or four hour cruises near and past downtown Cincy,

Now I am looking to pretty much solo--- I plan to do some river major river running along with being able to also do some such exploring on many of the large impoundment lakes found in the south and even out west.

Not too long ago, someone passed along to me the book that author William Least-Heat Moon wrote about his "voyage across America" using his little C-Dory with twin 45 HP Hondas.

That was quite an epic adventure he had. I am going to use the English version of his boat's name--RIVER HORSE for which ever model I finally pull the trigger on and get. He called the boat by a Native American name for River Horse---"Nikawa"

If you have not read this book--you really need to, it is a great read about a great adventure: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/william-least-heat-moon/river-horse/

I do have a plan to write a book of my own about my Ohio River cruise---referencing several books about the river's history and past and contrasting what the river was like in those past times to what it is like during the duration of my own voyage down the river---I may talk about the book in some other future post.

I have seen C-Dory boats on the Ohio and now that I am in central Florida-I see many of them on the Harris Chain of Lakes and the St. John's River, waters that when I am not going down the Ohio and other rivers--these will be "my home waters."

There is a dealer near me--the only one in Florida and pretty much the eastern US---Three Rivers Marine in the Homosassa/Crystal River area--that sells C-Dorys.

They have three models I am torn between--a 25' Cruiser, 25' Tomcat Sport and the 26' Venture Sport.

I'd like to hear from those with real world, long time experience owning or operating all three of these models and talk about what you like about them, why you went with the boat and your advice.

Another area I am interesting in hearing about is what make of motor to rig the boat with.

Three Rivers offers three makes of OBs: Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha.

I sold not too long ago--a pontoon boat with a 115 HP Suzuki and in the years I had it---it gave me great service with no complaints and only likes and loves with it.

While I know that for years now--Hondas have been the seemingly preferred choice of powering these boats---how do those with long term use of Hondas feel about them, and if you have long term experience with Yamahas and Suzukis--I'd like to hear about your experiences too and am I asking for recommendations as to which OB make to go with.

With the sort of running I would do with this boat---I will be running them for hours and miles each day in many cases and do want to get some idea as to long term reliability---especially with the current generations of each make.

The Tomcat they have on hand--already is rigged with a set of Suzuki Digital control 150s--the only thing it lacks is the Suzuki version of one of the new joystick control systems, but that could be added by the dealer I am sure.

The 25 Cruiser and the 26 Venture--are not rigged with power but online they price one of the two with just the single Honda--the other with both single and twins. Trailers are included in their pricing.

I do look forward to hearing what those who respond have to say and what advice and such that is offered.

My name is Mike, btw...

Thanks all---and I hope that before not too much time has passed--if you live or come to Florida--we can meet at the C-Brat gathering that Three Rivers holds each year, or one located someplace else--or we meet up sometime OUT ON THE WATERS of this country...

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: c-dorys Reply with quote

.I've driven the cd-25 and I have the venture 23 very similar to a venture 26 but 1000lb lighter . I would go and sea trial all 3 boats I think the Tom-cat would handle the seas better but would be a bear to trailer 9000lb or more the need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck . whereas the cd-25 and venture 26 could be trailered with a f -150 or similar truck .
As far as engines go I would stick with Yamaha or Mercury for corrosion protection especially living in Florida . Honda's here in SW Florida are very expensive for parts and seem not to hold up to the saltwater environment. My neighbor had a 2005 115 hp Suzuki that was a trailered boat I kept my boat in the water 10 months a year with 05 Yamaha 115 My Engine was in much better shape then his Suzuki 115 . Also I see many engines coming into our Votec school and the Yamaha and mercury stand up the best . IMHO

For the cd-25 or Venture 26 150 hp
Merc =3L Yamaha 2.8L Suzuki 2.9L Honda 2.4L

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are boating solo, just wondering why you wouldn't consider the 22? The 25 and Tomcats are great boats. However, you are going to save quite a bit of money on fuel efficiency with the 22. Not to mention lower marina costs and tow vehicle costs. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 2 25's and 1 Tom Cat 255. I think the Suzuki SPM system on the Suzuki is overkill. I would get the Suzuki 175's on the Tom Cat; be sure that the engines are set up properly--the counter rotating on the Starboard side--rotation inward. Props are critical. If you want speed--the Tom Cat should get up to 50 MPH with the 175s . But the Tom Cat is not as good a slow speed boat. When cruising with trawlers, I would run fast and then anchor and wait. Get the Float On Trailer.

If you go with the 25, then the Yamaha 200, and a Load Rite Trailer. I prefer the 25 over the 26 (very little size difference) because of the more spartan interior. Mold can be a major issue in FL. Mold in a headliner is a real issue.

The 25 is easier to trailer, as pointed out. It is a far better slow speed boat. The Tom Cat is best in chop up to 3'. Beyond that, it is a toss up. After just spending a month and 750 miles on the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers, the 25 is an excellent boat for that type if travel, In AK we were able to travel on almost every day--and the ones we did not travel on; 80 footers were not traveling...

The 26 has slightly more deadrise, and perhaps a slightly sharper entry. There will be minimal handling differences.

My neighbor recently upgraded from a 73 foot House boat with gas engines to a diesel trawler, which is far more practical for cruising.

What gathering does 3 Rivers have? My only experience with them was that they were guests at this year's Hontoon State Park, St. John's River gathering, where they brought several new C Dory's to show off. Mark Grove of Wefings is the only Florida dealer to have a gathering to my knowledge and that was at Apalachicola. each Oct.

Good hunting.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: