The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Please give me some sound advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Please give me some sound advise Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the performance difference between a 150 and a 135 Hp engines on the 25' Cruiser???

When I look down the list of Our Dorys I'm seeing a mix of both.

I'd like to have a WOT speed of 30+ but would like to cruise around 25-26mph.

Please give me some sound advise. I'm looking at a used 25' tomorrow that has a 135....is that a deal breaker??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the manufacturer there may not be any real difference in the mechanicals of the engines between 135 hp models and 150 hp ones, just EFI settings.

15 more hp will hardly be noticeable at wot, maybe a knot. If the mechanicals are the same then both 135 and 150 hp engines should both be run at the same maximum cruising hp, probably 75-90 hp and that means that both will have the same cruising speed.

So don't obsess about the difference between 135 and 150 hp. If one is 2 liters and the other 2.5 liters yes maybe, but otherwise no.

David
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMO, but more is better. Less RPM's required to maintain speed, get on plane etc. The 25's are very stern heavy (fuel, water, batteries, cooler etc). We have a 150 and don't regret it. In fact, a 200 would be ideal. The newer 200s are lighter...a perfect match.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Please give me some sound advise Reply with quote

joconnor@whidbey.net wrote:
Can anyone tell me the performance difference between a 150 and a 135 Hp engines on the 25' Cruiser???

When I look down the list of Our Dorys I'm seeing a mix of both.

I'd like to have a WOT speed of 30+ but would like to cruise around 25-26mph.

Please give me some sound advise. I'm looking at a used 25' tomorrow that has a 135....is that a deal breaker??

If you plan on regularly cruising at 25-26mph in a 25' Cruiser in the area around Whidbey, you may be disappointed as there are not too many days when one can comfortably go 25-26mph in a C-Dory. 25-26 cruising will be days when there is very little chop.

That said, the Honda 135 and Honda 150 are the same engine with different EFI settings. I rather doubt you will notice much difference except at WOT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: