The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat boat lift

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Tomcat boat lift Reply with quote

Meeting with some dock/boat lift people to get quotes, and had some questions for Tomcat owners.
We're planning to run a 4' wide dock along 60' of our canal seawall, and install a 4 post lift at one end with a canopy.

What is the best placement and spacing for the lift pilings for a TC 255?

I was thinking a beamless lift looks the most friendly for boarding/loading?
Is there a particular style of lift that suits the TC better, or that you would recommend over another for the Florida coast?

Every builder uses a different brand of lift drive and they all say they're the "best in the industry"?
The Golden Sea-drive was a local builder recomendation, and claims a zero failure or back drive reputation.
Anyone use or have knowledge of this brand?

This will be our first boat and dock, so any additional advice or tips related to docking, boarding, loading is also appreciated.
Especially those things we should be considering while still in the planning stage before construction starts.
I try to learn from other's experience who have already walked the path, so if you were to redo your dock/lift today, what would you do differently and why?
wanabacb

City/Region: Floyd
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a Tomcat or any other C-Dory (still searching for a 22 Cruiser). Having canal front property in FL I can say go as far out as allowed or practical. It will be a maximum set distance from seawall or percentage of width of canal, whichever comes first. Don't limit yourself to just the beam or weight of a Tomcat.

Also I would have a quote include wrapping of the pilings below waterline. Those worms can eat'm down to a pencil point even though pressure treated.

Talk to others on your canal to see who they used.

Cheers,
Paul
wanabacb

City/Region: Floyd
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. Be prepared for an increase in property taxes after your County Property Appraiser finds out about it.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a home in Pt Charlotte on a canal off Charlotte Harbor. Bennett Marine installed a 10,000 lbs lift with 4 over sized pilings, each one wrapped for protection and sunk extra deep.
He built to commercial spes. Sorry I dont have the work order in front on me. Lift is from Quality Boat Lifts and 2 drive motors called Alumavator. They require chain lube to sprayed on drive chain once or so a year through a hole with removable plug which dont last in the SUN and now use corks. You dont need to remove the motor covers. No big for me even after both hips replaced but there are 3 different motors available and some require no lubrication and have other features like high speed lifting. Ours is regular speed but doesn't take long to lower or raise. Our dock is 10' wide which is handy. Buy the best exterior decking you can for long lifespan, color fading resistance and UV protection. Wiring is important. Lift is on GFI breaker and wiring is in buried full length conduit and one long run wires with NO splices and larger than needed gauge. One GFI outlet on separate circuit at the dock. Next the boat sitting of the cradle increases the water depth needed to launch at low tides or super low winter tides. It was crazy money for them to remove the soil under lift due to various regulations. I have removed some soil by hand but need 14" more depth to launch any time and any tide. work in progress. Lift controller is by GEM with remotes which are so handy and drive box stays locked. we dont have a trailer so boat stays on the lift during hurricanes and storms esp storm surge. The boat can be raised over 6 ' above a normal high tide. Tie off cradle forward and aft during high winds. We have a strap to hold boat on cradle but have not used it. Quality also sells walk boards to maintenance work which we will add later. Waterway built the Canopy and is a big one but boat faces east and gets a lot of sun so front, top and back gets real wax applied. The ends have curtains but too small and wasted our money on that idea, Probably make a mooring cover one day

Pilings are 9 inches in diameter and driven 10 to 12 feet down

Lift https://www.iqboatlifts.com/

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting around the dock and lift is a good idea. It can be dusk to dawn or motion activated. Fishermen are around our lift frequently to catch snook. You choice if hard wired or solar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: