View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: 22' SportCruiser question Reply with quote

Dear BRATS,
I've searched through the member list and type boats and can't find anybody with a 22' SportCruiser. As I recall, it was a 22' Hull with only bench seating inside and with an open back like a 19' C-Dory. The factory isn't making them due to lack of interest. Anyone have any ideas or names or leads?
Thank You,
John
www.y-landing.com
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone who has aquired one of these .
The factory had one at the Seattle Boat Show two years ago. I liked the layout and it would have been a great fishing machine

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 22' SportCruiser question Reply with quote

This was a boat that made absolutely no sense at all to me when I saw it at the boat show...small wonder it did not light any fires.

New Guy wrote:
Dear BRATS,
I've searched through the member list and type boats and can't find anybody with a 22' SportCruiser. As I recall, it was a 22' Hull with only bench seating inside and with an open back like a 19' C-Dory. The factory isn't making them due to lack of interest. Anyone have any ideas or names or leads?
Thank You,
John
www.y-landing.com

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not make sense for you folks with soft water all year around, but here on the Great Lakes the solid bulkhead is rarely needed and the canvas backdrop makes a lot of sense.

-- Chuck
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the seating arrangements and the lack of a bulkhead, it was a boat intended for day use only, and mostly set up so that three or four folks could fish out of it more comfortably, both riding to the fishing area and passing by each other into and out of the cabin. Would have made a nice boat for small charter operations. Lots of boats already on the market could also do that, and run faster, too. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, we have over 365 islands. Our Marina hosts the Meredith Fireboat and just about all our staff are volunteer firemen. There hasn't been a big fire on one of our islands in quite a few years. Lots of education and a strict fire permit program should take most of the credit.
We have a request for an all weather fireman transport and relief vessel, and one of the volunteers loves and wants a C-Dory, so I thought this boat may do the trick.
It may turn into a custom boat order, but right now I was hoping to do my homework for a more "open" C-Dory, and thought the SportCruiser was a pretty close match.
Thanks for everybody's help. Not many places you can log onto and get a legitimate expert to respond... and quickly too!
Thank You,
John
Y-Landing
www.y-landing.com
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All-- I always thought that the 22' Sport would be a great boat for Florida, the Keys, the Gulf, the Chesapeake, & most of the lower eastern seaboard, where heat & humidity can be a problem, with all the open area for ventilation, this would make a great day boat for charter or outings. It reminded me, a little, of the old style Picnic launches of the past. The old Knight Bros. marina in Boca Grande, Fla. built a larger version of this style for years. Maybe-- with all the new dealers in Fla.???

Rich--
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I would sure think a heavy aluminum boat would serve you better, such as Hewescraft, Woolridge, Thunderjet etc. A good aluminum boat can be put ashore anywhere, if there's rocks just hold the bow against the rocks with the motor and let the passengers out. The only way a C-Dory would work is if you are only going to land your passengers on a dock, it is a real P.I.T.A. to try climbing out over the bow of a C-Dory. An inboard jet may be a good idea since your lake sounds like it may have lots of lower-unit eating rocks, and of course with the inboard you get a cabin heater. Don't forget about those firefighters tossing around their heavy gear on that pretty fiberglass. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are going to use the boat for but a C-Dory sure wouldn't be my choice. I like my C-Dory but having to baby a fiberglass boat sucks!
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all you C-Dory folks will forgive my blasphemy!
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input and logic. The plan is to have available a transport boat for relief firefighters going out to an established fire. This is a private citizen and long time volunteer firemen who only wants a C-Dory and will make it available for that purpose. The city won't pay for another boat, so the one we have has had to suffice these many years. Our guys just think we can do better.
If they gave out citizenship awards, our town's volunteers would have them by the dozen.
This boat would only be going to a dock, so the rocks issue is a valid one, but should not come into play. He's already come up with a name... "FIREFLY" and the red paint job a la REDFOX would round out the picture.
So that is what my research is about. It will effectivly be a workboat, with transport and maybe a medevac role on a really bad day. I'm sure some kind of rugged flooring will be installed, and if the glass gets dinged we'll just fix it (its good to be hosted by a Marina).
We hope to have a plan in the next year and will obviously keep everyone here posted. The question came up and I just wanted to avoid re-inventing the wheel. And if there IS an un-loved SportCruiser out there, this is the place to find it.
Again, thanks for all the valuable input and help.
Go BRATS!
John

www.y-landing.com
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John--- Just remembered, a" former" C-Dory dealer in the S.F. Bay area had two or three sport models for sale orginally, could be a possible source. Also somebody in New Jersey had purchased another one a couple of years ago, this person use to be on the c-dog site. A few years ago the c-dog site use to have some pictures of the Sport at the factory. Good luck with your hunt, I'll keep a lookout in my travels these next two months. ---- Rich
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-

If you can't find a Sport Cabin 22 and want to keep the cost down and would be satisfied with a utility boat, just buy a used 22 Cruiser or Angler and go to work on the cabin and bulkhead with some good sharp tools. Would be a fun project, might save some serious money, and allow you to make the boat really customized to your needs! Joe.
Captain Jack

City/Region: Petaluma
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Carole Marie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, This is my first post to this site. I have been monitoring the site for over 3 years and finally decided to register. I have a 22 cruiser Sport which I purchased in 2004. All of you helped me make the decision to get this boat. You guys really know the what you are talking about when it comes to these boats. I use my boat for fishing year around in the SF bay area. It really suits me and the bay area well. I don't want to sell it, but maybe I can answer some questions the new guy may have. It sounds like it would be a great boat for his needs. Thanks again to everyone on this site. Captain Jack
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Capt.Jack
Welcome to the C-Brats .It sounds like you are no stranger to our site. It is good that you have finaly decided to join us knotheads and offer up your $.02 worth to the mix....lol....
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Captain Jack! I understand that the SF Bay can get a bit rough. Glad you are enjoying your boat and willing to share with the rest of us.
All the best,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: