thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have different ideas about how to retrieve the anchor. In my experience, cleating a fouled anchor to an aft cleat can be a recipe for disaster. I know of a number of swampings, and including loss of lives and boats which occurred doing this. The only case I know of involving swamping of a C Dory (except being caught in the breaking surf) occurred with a boat trying to power the anchor out by cleating it aft. (Maybe there is something in the 16 which makes that a better choice?). I personally feel it is better to use the buoyancy of the bow to power the anchor out if that is necessary. Of course what works best depends on many factors! No one can say that "this is the best" for all cases. Keep an open mind, and try the various techniques. (Just don't get a person's leg tangled in the line, as you use the float to power the anchor out--I am aware of one boater who accidentally killed his father doing this.) I try and avoid high power or fast maneuvers when attached to an anchor line!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise advice there, Bob, and well put.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't add, as Grandpa would,

"The devil is in the details."

Aye.

RonMac

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C View
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Handling anchor and rode Reply with quote

I keep the anchor rode in a secured box on the lower deck of the bow. I can handle the line and anchor while standing in the vbirth. I have ½ inch line and 20 ft of 1/4 inch chain with 13 lb delta. I replaced a danforth anchor after a stormy night bent a 90 deg curve in the shaft.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this lots of times and Bob's mention of a milk crate is a good one. Once the anchor is loose from the bottom, the boat is moving with the current so it saves valuable time to not have to feed it back into the anchor locker. I secure the milk crate with a bungie to the deck cleat. I have the boat running and in neutral for this if solo and in the current of a river.

I like to have the leverage of being out on the bow. Its been suggested to pull through the front hatch before to reduce the dangers of falling in, but in practice is doesn't give me the leverage I need.

I gently pull on the anchor rode until the boat is directly over the set anchor. I don't want to try to break it loose until I'm directly over or Ill drag too much silt and potentially hurt myself. Once its broken loose I make a few jerking motions up and down to hopefully dislodge the mud that's inevitably caked to the anchor. Its lighter to pull up that way. Trying to stand up right and use your arm strength and not your back. Once up I quickly put the anchor in the milk crate with the rest of the rode and race to the helm to put it in gear and regain control of the boat. Wear a pfd, things can go south quickly in the current.

thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I may try it solo, but with somebody else on board, a few times before going full solo. I reckon I'll just dock somewhere tonight and keep it stress-free. Maybe. Unless I’m feeling extra frisky tonight.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
Wear a pfd, things can go south quickly in the current.

Just in case someone missed this.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I'd have enough horsepower to swamp the boat if the anchor was tied to the stern cleat. If so, it would still probably require steep seas and a phenomenal lack of judgement.

But tying off to the boat and using its rocking motion, if required, would work much better on the CD 16 if using a side cleat. Jumping up and down on the bow to get the boat rocking is both ineffectual and dangerous for the solo boater. Tying off to a side cleat and moving side-to-side in the safety of the cockpit sounds better to me. I don't know how much moving side-to-side rocks the larger C Dorys, but I would guess that it is more than walking stem-to-stern. On the 16, a passenger going quickly side-to-side is enough to spill a coffee cup. I've done that experiment more than once.

For remote solo anchoring I have also used a trip line and always carry one with me. If the anchor fouls on a cable or sunken tree, the trip line probably beats all other retrieval methods. My line and float is barely larger than a pop can, so it won't be mistaken for a mooring buoy by another boat. Plus, I rarely anchor in a place where another boat could fit.

We just spent 10 days anchoring about twice a day. I went on the foredeck once when I harvested so much seaweed that the anchor wouldn't seat properly.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I used to anchor my Montgomery 15 (sailboat), which is about the same size and weight as your 16. The anchor was deployed over the side, but always cleated off at the bow. When retrieving, I would take in the rode until tight, pull just a bit more to depress the bow slightly into the water, then snub the line with a wrap on the cleat and move aft. the bow would raise about 6 inches, (maybe the Monty had more rocker than the CD-16), and that one time was usually enough to release the anchor. Moving side to side might work too, but you don't have the buoyancy of the bow working for you. (And I would always be nervous about having the anchor cleated to the side.)

I like your idea of the trip line.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
... Jumping up and down on the bow to get the boat rocking is both ineffectual and dangerous for the solo boater. ...

Jumping up and down is not actually required. You can get the bow moving up and down just by pulling on the line to the stuck anchor or taking advantage of the wave action on the boat.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate cure for fishermen who are frustrated and have difficulty
retrieving their anchor: Order fish off a menu after you tie up at a
dock.

Aye.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For remote solo anchoring I have also used a trip line and always carry one with me. If the anchor fouls on a cable or sunken tree, the trip line probably beats all other retrieval methods. My line and float is barely larger than a pop can, so it won't be mistaken for a mooring buoy by another boat.

Mark, thanks for posting this. I don't usually use a trip line. (When I do, I put it out with the regular anchor line.) And I rarely use a float to mark where my anchor is. (But when I do, it's not attached as a trip line...) However, if I understand correctly what you are saying, you do both with the same line. I'm getting ready to go to Lake Powell, and I do use a trip line there, just in case. (Or plan to anywhere else I know boulders or other fouling exists.) Never thought about putting a float on the trip line to also mark the anchor from other boaters overanchoring me. Simple things that slip by me. lol I'll have to mark my anchor that way more frequently. (I'm always a bit worried in busy anchorages of someone being over my scope.) Colby
Ordutch1975

Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I anchor alone from time to time. Most of the time closer to the banks of the river. I have never had an issue - bring boat to a halt (use an appropriate anchor makes a world of difference I use a Mantus and have never had an issue setting it in the Columbia or Multnomah channel. I bring the boat close to a halt walk with PFD to the front of boat drop the anchor give it an additional 5* drop length - let the current pull the boat while you release line. Once the line grabs put her just out of neutral in reverse IE the back of boat follows the current. With the mantus she grabs immediately - when you don't move in reverse you are good. To get her out I do the reverse. I find it easier to go up river a bit pull her loose and then run up front (hatch works great for quick access to anchor pull her up and your done. I have yet to find myself stuck with anchor. Keep in mind the current will want to pull you down river so on the Columbia depending on where you are timing is everything. Don't dilly dally. using the birth hatch to get out IMO is safer than trying to run around the boat.

(note once I get her up river from the anchor I put her in neutral I don't want the rope to tangle with the prop)

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Ordutch1975

Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s funny I didn’t get the windless because in theory I am young enough to pull up an achor myself - now I regret not having had it installed at the factory - this will be our next purchase.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
It’s funny I didn’t get the windless because in theory I am young enough to pull up an anchor myself - now I regret not having had it installed at the factory - this will be our next purchase.

I single hand 98% of the time, and anchor more often than not. I consider the windlass as on of my most used safety devices. I rarely go forward for either anchoring or retrieval. I did foul on a big piece of metal rack one time. Fortunately, the windlass was able to lift it up to where I could deal with it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
It’s funny I didn’t get the windless because in theory I am young enough to pull up an achor myself - now I regret not having had it installed at the factory - this will be our next purchase.

I had the same rational when I bought my boat, but 13 years later and now in my 70s, it’s going to be my next big gear purchase. An ambulance ride because my back hurt so bad I couldn’t get off the floor helped with the decision.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: