View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Solo Anchoring w/ No Windlass Tips? Reply with quote

I'm probably going out next week for my first solo overnight trip and have yet to try and anchor by myself.

For those of you with solo anchoring experience... run down your steps for me pretty please. It will be in the Columbia or Multnomah Channel near Portland.

Thanks in advance.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of anchoring by myself, but not in any kind of current. Only recommendation I would have, is wear your PFD if walking the gunnels or while on the bow. I just drop the anchor overboard, and let the wind (or current) blow the boat back while letting out the appropriate amount of rode. Tie the line off, then go to the helm and back down on the anchor to be sure it's set. Colby
1Wiley

City/Region: Bay area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Fidelio
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that sums it up very well. In a current you won’t need to back down to know if it’s set. Take into account how fast and how deep the water is. Adjust accordingly for length of rope, better to have too much out than not enough. Life jacket a must, grab rope tied off not a bad idea, just in case.
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m forseeing more trouble bringing in the anchor than setting it. Also hoping to be able to do most of it standing on the berth through the hatch and it being a slow safe process.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose one could stand in the berth for the anchoring process, if they have long arms! Mr. Green But to bring it in, I think you'll need to be up on the bow to have more pulling power. If you are in wind or current, you'll be pulling against that. Before my C-Dory, I had a Searay 268 Sundancer. Bigger/heavier boat, and I did not have a windless on it. Very happy (& spoiled) to have one on the C-Dory. I only anchored the Searay in shallow water. Unless you have a great pulley system, your best leverage will be pulling the line up as you haul it and the anchor in. Be sure to leave room to drift as you are working the anchor. Colby
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once chartered a Camano 31 in the PNW, a 10,000 lb trawler with no windlass. We anchored every night for a week. It had 1/2 rode with about 20' of 1/4 chain with a 30 lb Delta anchor.

Deploying the anchor was straightforward- drop it off the bow roller and let the wind back you down until enough rode is out.

We never had any current and the wind was light when pulling it up. I pulled it up by hand against the light wind until it was almost vertical. Then my wife would pull forward to break it out. If I were single handed I would have tied off and gone back to the helm to do that.

The last 20' was a bit tough with about 50 lbs to pull up. I did it from the bow, the v-berth hatch would have been tough. Gloves would have helped for the last 20' of chain.

With a C-Dory you will probably have half the anchor/chain weight so it should be much easier to pull up by hand.

David
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the anchor has set very well, the portion close to the anchor may be difficult
to retrieve by hand as you anticipated.

The key to do this, as mentioned, after all rode has been retrieved, as possible,
cleat it off properly. Then let the mass of the boat help the un-set by putting it
in forward gear imagining you are driving directly over your anchor slightly. Be
nimble and know your footing as you may be dashing from bow to helm and back.

If lucky, one time at this may do it. If you're snagged on a sunken branch or rock,
it may take repeating and more effort.

Aye.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, you’re best option for retrieving is from the deck. I recommend you find a slough with a minimum amount of current. The slough at Martin Island is an excellent choice.

I’m sure you know to be very careful to not let the rode wrap around the lower unit whe you’re in a current. A lot of boats have been pulled to the bottom of the Columbia because of that.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must anchor alone, especially on the Columbia where the current should not be taken lightly, use a PFD with a safety ring. Have your swim step ladder ready to deploy and attach a safety line to your harness while you are moving about on the deck. Nobody plans to fall overboard but remember you will be alone and you need to stay with your boat if the unexpected happens.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand on the excellent advice of Foggy, let the boat break the anchor out--that is the key, both with and without a windlass. You can drive the boat up to, or even a little beyond where the anchor was dropped, and then you are just brining up line, and not pulling the boat as you bring the anchor rode in. You can do this several times if necessary. Be sure you don't foul the prop!!

When working without a windlass, you may be best served by putting the anchor rode in either a milk type plastic crate, or a tub. Trying to feed the line thru the deck pipe when pulling can be very time consuming. The tub or crate cane be secured to the foredeck. Another option is to just coil the line on the deck, secure it and let it dry before feeding thru the deck pipe to the anchor locker.

I first fitted a windlass to a boat in 1980. For over 30 years, I had raced sailboats up to 45 feet in length without a windlass--only "arm strong"--great for the arms, and very bad for the back!!!! Please be very careful about posture, and how you apply forces to bring the anchor rode up. There is actually a very good reason to stand on the berth and pull the anchor up--you can stand with a straight back! If you pull from the foredeck, use your legs. Advice not only as a physician, but as a patient!

For the last 38 years every boat I have owned had a windlass--the $700 for a windless is pennies in comparison to the tens of thousands in medical bills!!!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m certainly no expert in anchoring, but I do anchor for halibut fishing here in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Almost all the halibut fishers use this same system. It avoids precarious walking around the front of the boat, which I would never attempt.

Why not just use this system:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPdJ-NZ28g
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When retrieving the anchor, you may not need to "drive the boat". Once the boat bow is over the anchor, and if you are retrieving by hand, the rode or chain will be vertical, as you are standing on the bow, snub the line on a cleat.and work you way to the stern. The change in bow height from the water will pull vertically on the line and work to break the anchor free. This might take 2 or 3 tries, but it does work, and save your back.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When letting the anchor down in a current (or even the wind) you need to anticipate where you want the boat to sit once the rode is out and based on the amount of rode drop the anchor upstream (or upwind) the necessary distance to get the boat in the right place. You may need to be even further upstream to have time to get to the bow to let the anchor out at the right spot as the boat drifts down with the current/wind.

When pulling the rode up, I let it pile on the front deck and leave it there till it dries before putting it back in the anchor locker.

If the anchor is stuck I find that bouncing the bow of the boat and pulling up the rode slack when the bow is down and holding it tight when the bow goes up (sort of like landing a fish) will always (so far) get the anchor free, although it may take a few bounces. The buoyancy of the boat does the lifting, not your back.

Once the anchor breaks loose, the boat will move with the current. You may need to tie off the anchor at some point before fully retrieved in order to move the boat to a place where you have time to can completely stow the anchor without drifting into anything.

It may depend on your agility and the weather conditions, but I find that it is quicker for me to go round the outside of the boat to the bow vs. through the v-berth hatch (lot less contortions). I also have the motor running and everything squared away for travel before raising the anchor.
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxe Point wrote:
I’m certainly no expert in anchoring, but I do anchor for halibut fishing here in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Almost all the halibut fishers use this same system. It avoids precarious walking around the front of the boat, which I would never attempt.

Why not just use this system:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPdJ-NZ28g

This system also save your back!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solo anchored several times on the Columbia and never even thought about current. Every place that I've thought was a good anchorage for the night didn't have enough current to worry about. I'm more concerned in the salt, where I know that the current will reverse during the night and my anchor may need to reset.

I never motor to release an anchor. It seems like a bad idea on a C Dory where getting back and forth to the helm is the most dangerous part of solo anchor work. Dashing back to the bow to make sure that the anchor doesn't drift into something on the bottom after releasing wouldn't be fun. Pull the rode straight up and wait a little. Cleat it off, take a look around, stretch your back, wait a little. The primary bottom on the Columbia is clean sand with fine sand in the sloughs.

If it really is fouled, I might try motoring, but if that's the case, even motoring might not work. I'd probably bring the rode back to a cockpit cleat so that I could do everything from there.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: