The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

battery chager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floyd & carolyn gregg

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SKOOKUM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: battery chager Reply with quote

i have a readi amp 8 two bank charger that does not seem to be working i believe this to be orginal to the boat (91 22 ft cruiser) does anyone have any experince with this charger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Readi Amp was an early Pro Mariner. I doubt that it would be supported. You are best off buying a more modern charger.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
floyd & carolyn gregg

C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: SKOOKUM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback any suggestions i run two batteries in series on the second bank and just one on the first bank?

floyd
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for the house bank? (It has been done, but an unusual set up for a C Dory--especially an early model)

What size are the batteries (in amp hours or residual capacity). What case size are they? Are all three batteries identical (size, capacity, and age?)

What is your cruising style? (On the hook most nights, rare to a marina, or in a marina, and using all sorts of 12 volt appliances etc? ) There are a number of factors to consider before deciding on what battery would be best for your use.

The guest which have been standard on the C Dory for the last 15+ years is actually a relatively poor choice for most of us. They are made to charge batteries between uses. Many of us have fairly high demands, even in a slip--(stereo, lights, electronics etc). Your battery charger should be capable of putting out what your average use is--

I like one which is 15 to 20 amps at least. I am using combiners on all of my boats, so that unless you turn the combiner off, a single bank charger is what you effectively have. There are very few chargers which actually sample each bank and prorate the charge accordingly.
DW

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries and battery chargers are in a technology change that is happening quickly. The good news is that we are getting better and better batteries and chargers all the time. The bad news is that it is hard to keep up. Having just gone through this with my minimally set up CD-22, my recommendation is this from Blue Seas: https://www.bluesea.com/products/7531/P12_Battery_Charger_-_12V_DC_25A
Another point that was made to me by a Marine Electronics Instructor is that today you should always buy a charger/inverter. But the same person also explained how costly in terms of wear on the batteries, it is to invert from DC to AC. And if you are like me and have almost NO need to invert while underway, then the Inverter issue is gone.
For my CD-22, the Blue Seas charger is large, physically. I installed my charger below the sink. Its a good idea to have it as close to the batteries as possible. And speaking of size, 25 amps charging with four stages is more than enough to keep up to three batteries charged. The remote control come in handy with the location I installed the charger. No need to open the cabinet and get on my hands and knees with the remote. Of course i need to actually buy the remote, maybe for Christmas?
One last point, the Blue Seas charger above comes with a five year guarantee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: