View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Dock Safety Reply with quote

I had a good outing this weekend with a bit of excitement at the end. On the few C-Dory outings I have been to and boating in general I see a few people that wear PFD's all the time, some sometimes, and others rarely. And on different trips I have been in all those categories.

I have always thought docks are one of the more hazardous areas for mishaps. So this is what happened with my friend:

We had docked on the side opposite the launch ramp to get the boat ready to put back on the trailer. After getting ready my friend stayed on the dock while I motored around the end of the dock to the other side. As I pulled the bow up to the dock my friend grabbed the bow line and then tripped on the cleat at the corner of the dock and tumbled into the water while holding the bow line.

I had turned off the motor and was in the cockpit. I made sure my friend surfaced and had ahold of something but could not get to them immediately because only the bow was at the dock. I first thought to get them to come to the boat where I could bring them aboard. It was obvious they would not get on the dock without help. Then a person on the dock came and helped my friend onto the dock.

If I had been thinking faster I could have ducked into the v-berth and out the hatch or along the side of the boat to get to the dock but I also wanted to watch my friend to make sure they were okay.

My friend had a manual inflatable PFD on, I had no PFD. After getting on the dock the rip cord of the PFD hooked on the bow line and it inflated. We then got the boat docked and my friend changed and dried.

The thing that bothers me is that it could have been much worse. If my friend had hit their head on the boat or dock while going over they could have been injured. Also hanging on to the bow line it could have wrenched or dislocated a shoulder. Then I would have probably gone in after them and then would of had to shout for help.

Things can happen quickly. We want to have fun but also come home safe.

Steve
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like that certainly do happen quickly, and they can happen even to the most experienced boaters. This summer I took out two friends for an evening cruise up to Georgetown. One is a retired command sergeant major from a special forces army unit, and the other is a retired Navy DevGroup SEAL. Getting off the boat at the dock upon our return, the SEAL fell in, and when the segeant major jumped on to the dock to give him a hand, he fell in too! Nothing hurt but their pride, but ouch! (And yes, I believe that alcohol had a little bit to do with it!) The point is that stuff happens, and a captain has to think through what to do in a variety of situations, assess the whole picture when something does happen, and then act appropriately. I think you did the right thing to first observe that your friend surfaced and was okay. Knowing that, you could take your time to secure the boat and then tend to her. I put kids in PFDs when we are out and ask them to keep them on until they are on the dock, then hand them back to me for storage. In cold weather or when I'm out solo, I wear a PFD. I practice man-overboard drills with my family, throwing a float cushion into the water while underway and telling my wife, "That's me-go pick me up." The girls know to keep their eyes on the MOB and point until we're alongside. It's easier to stay calm and think clearly if you've walked through some of these scenarios in your head or in drills, but chances are that the particular circumstances won't be the same as your drill. You just have to observe and assess quickly and calmly when the situation occurs and react according to those circumstances.

Thanks for sharing your "oops" experience. I would bet there are a lot more incidents like that out there, even amongst these salty c-brats! Experience is a great teacher!

MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a few mishaps over the years but fortunately none serious. Unless I am on a long trip, most of my boating is usually inland with shorelines (or sawgrass and pluff mud) close by. Nonetheless when alone, there are several situations in which I wear a PFD. If I leave the cockpit to go forward, if the water temp is 65 or less, or if I am offshore. I've also been through a few squalls when it was time for all on board to don the PFD's.

It would be safer to where a PFD all the time. Perhaps I should but don't. I do insist that anyone who comes on board and can't swim, or may have trouble swimming, wear a PFD. Also, keep in mind kids under 13 must where a PFD when they are not in the cabin and while the boat is underway. That is unless your state has other specific regulations concerning children and PFD's.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Little stories like this remind us all to think about safety. It seems that the more I boat, the more often I wear a PFD. I have to admit that I often don't have it on once inside the cabin but am getting more and more religious about wearing while in the cockpit and while on the dock. I think one of the most likely ways for me to get into trouble is to fall off the dock and bang my head on the way into the water. That's why I don't want to purchase any pfds that require manual inflation. I've though about it some as the inflatable PFD's are smaller and more likely to be worn. However, the autoinflation ones are pretty expensive and have issues in high humidity environments (eventually inflating on their own) and the manual inflating ones won't help if you're not able to inflate them. Hence, I'll stick with my ski vest kind for now.

Roger on the SeaDNA

The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of docking "NEVER APPROACH A DOCK FASTER THEN YOU WANT TO HIT IT"! Following this thread, everything sounded pretty routine.....duh Smile
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, having seen you enter the Chester River suddenly Shocked at the Eastern Shore gathering last summer, I thought you might chime in. Glad you were OK, Sally and I will start to wear the inflatible PFDs next season, they are very unobtrusive and comfortable. Never can tell when you might need one, it's always when you think you don't!! Laughing

Hope to see you and Fran there again in 2006!

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fran Sea wrote:
First rule of docking "NEVER APPROACH A DOCK FASTER THEN YOU WANT TO HIT IT"! Following this thread, everything sounded pretty routine.....duh Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love clever one liners............I will use it. Super Advice!

Chris Bulovsky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: